[SUPPORT THREAD] Embuary - A Emby Kodi Skin

sualfred

horstepipe

Your log shows no issue.

Please check the userdata/addon_data/script.embuary.helper/img folder for the genre images and the file creation + modification date to see if they are rebuilded on startup.

As I‘m not sure how to get those files on my pc without manipulating these dates, I’ll give you the info I see in the stock android file manager for now: all images are either being recreated or at least modified when I enter the movies section. (The top right column in file manager shows a new time after each “Kodi Startup -> all movies“) Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

I'm having another one, but I'm not sure whether you're willing to take a look at it because for most users this won't be as annoying as it is for me.
It's about the automatic hub creation for library tags. It's a little hard to explain so I've illustrated with screenshots.

Screenshot 1 (Initial situation)

I setup E4K, there's only one movie library. In Emby Server I tagged one of those movies with the value "2". In embuary menu configuration I disabled "Try to use an Emby styled atwork" and manually chose an image for that tag hub. The image corresponds to the tag value. So far, so good...

Screenshot 2

I stopped Kodi and tagged another movie with the value "3" in Emby Server. After Kodi start you see that my manually assigned image does not correspond to the tag hub anymore.

As I'm planning to add more and more tags to my movies over the next months, this will be quite annoying to me as I will have to assign the correct images again and again.

sualfred

It's a simple "first comes, first serve" problem. I know why this is happening but theres nothing I can do to change this behaviour I guess. I have to think about it but it will take a while. My new job is very time consuming.

• Like 1

sualfred

Regarding the file timestamps:

I don't know what is shipped with CE but on a common Linux setup you can use the shell command "stat" for it. Just google a bit about return these two timestamps in shell/ssh connection

horstepipe

Regarding the file timestamps:

I don't know what is shipped with CE but on a common Linux setup you can use the shell command "stat" for it. Just google a bit about return these two timestamps in shell/ssh connection

This is Android, not coreelec. But i'm gonna find a way, thanks.

horstepipe

may I ask what software/method you're using to access android via smb?

Mhh okay this looks similar here (I don't see creation dates for now, but for sure you're right). So as you said all files got a new modification date, but this is intended...?

mhh then I really don't understand why it is so slow. The images are there... other widgets show up fast, too.

The weird thing is, if I open up the "all movies" hub, it takes quite long until the genres widget loads up. One would expect that when the genre widget has finished loading, the "genre menu button" would load up fast, but it doesn't. It takes even longer to show up although the widget has been finished loading up.

So if the image generation is not to blame, do you have any other idea what task is so demanding that it is so slow on this device?

sualfred

The shield has a samba server integrated. There are several apps available to get one on any Android device.

I have a cleanup module integrated. Images that were not accessed in the last 90 days get deleted. That's why I "touch" the files to modify the modification date for ones that are still used. This costs nearly 0 performance. If this wouldn't work as it should it would delete all images on Kodi startup and that's the only reason that is could explain a higher loading on your end. Just enable background blurring, walk around your library, and you will notice a lot of generated images in that folder. Not only genres. Close Kodi, restart Kodi, close Kodi. Images still there?

I only can suggest you to switch to CE for the device. Kodi + Android on such an device is 100% pure garbage. You can double your performance by flashing CE on it.

My 2cts:

I don't get why people expecting performance from a $20 lemon. It's wasting money and resources. You are based in DE, aren't you? -> https://www.pollin.de/p/odroid-n2-coreelec-edition-2-gbyte-ram-811103

Edited by sualfred

horstepipe

I was running CE on this device for some weeks and compared it to running Kodi on Android and I didn't notice any benefit from running Coreelec (except that with CE you're able to set auto framerate matching). This device is for my parents and other non techy folks who are used to an Android GUI. CE was also restarting Kodi / GUI unexpected from time to time, don't have the problems with android. I'm aware of the Odroid, but it is primarly a matter of cost. I'd need the 4gb edition (bigger video cache, bad internet) + remote + maybe a wifi module....

This box costs 50 bucks (4gb/32gb) and everything is shipped. After weeks of testing I can say everything is working really well with it, except the long loading times of the genre views. I'll try to get some new insights what's happening. Thanks for your time.

sualfred

Check if the images folder get wiped on a Kodi restart. That will tell us more.

And for a parent usage:

Fire TV stick or Xiaomi Mi Box with the native Emby Android TV app. That's what I gave my parents. Or if a Xbox One is present -> Emby Theater. The FIre TV also has framerate switching. At least for Kodi. Haven't checked the Emby App. The Xioami Box doesn't support it.

Edited by sualfred

horstepipe

Check if the images folder get wiped on a Kodi restart. That will tell us more.

will do soon!

And for a parent usage:

Fire TV stick or Xiaomi Mi Box with the native Emby Android TV app. That's what I gave my parents. Or if a Xbox One is present -> Emby Theater. The FIre TV also has framerate switching. At least for Kodi. Haven't checked the Emby App. The Xioami Box doesn't support it.

Yeah Fire TV Stick 4k was my big hope, too. Unfortunately I was facing insolvable buffering issues because of too high bitrates (transcoding is not possible here)

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

Unfortunately the image folder is not getting wiped on Kodi restart. So the files are persistent. I‘ll take a look for some samba server app to be 100% sure they‘re not being recreated. There‘s no creation data in Android‘s file manager.

Worth to mention that the genre images are being touched/modified twice. Once when I enter „all moves“ hub and the widget is being created. Once when I enter the „Genre“ menu button within the „all movies“ hub.

Mhh the log file I sent to you isn‘t really helpful either. WTF is happening within these 60 seconds of nothing lol

horstepipe

Upload me you videodb file. Maybe I can see it on my end.

Sent via PM.

Hmm maybe this info is useful:

I put the videodb into a kodi 18 Windows 10 test instance. Here the image files don't get a new modified date after a Kodi restart, so it looks like they are not being touched at all...?

Edited by horstepipe

sualfred

It's working on Windows. My first screen was from my Windows test machine.

Did you faced the same delay on your Windows test?

horstepipe

nope on Windows it's fast.

However, maybe you were right with your first intention. I went back to CoreElec as I saw there's a new release (which contains a new function to start from nand/emmc for boxes with a locked bootloader).

Thankfully samba access is given out of the box here, so I took a look again. Here it's clearly to see that the files are being recreated after each Kodi start. They're being recreated when I enter 'all movies' section. And they're being recreated again when I enter 'Genre' menu button in 'all movies' section.

sualfred

Hmm.. Ok. Let me make a test build of the addon that has disabled the cleanup algorythm

sualfred

Attached a two different versions.

The version "a" has disabled the cleanup + file touching + renamed genre images to "genre_%hash%".

The version "b" has only renamed genre images to "genre_%hash%".

Please test both of them and let me know if it changes something.

script.embuary.helper-1.3.6a.zip

script.embuary.helper-1.3.6b.zip

• Like 1

clarkss12

I did a new Kodi install today, but your repo is not working.  repository.fredsrepo-1.0.7.zip

Thanks for this repo.

Edit:  Installed this repo version >> thanksrepository.beta.emby.kodi-1.0.9.zip <<  and everything is working now............

Edited by clarkss12

@@sualfred

Did a fresh install on my odroid n2 (with coreelec) and the widget up top "My Media" is stuck on Menu configuration on every startup where embycon usually gets populated by folders on emby. Does the log say anything? 

http://ix.io/23DY

Edited by prydda

sualfred

2019-12-05 21:55:18.423 T:3277161344 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.embycon/
2019-12-05 21:55:18.434 T:4064137232 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.embycon/) failed
2019-12-05 21:55:18.440 T:3236529024 ERROR: Unable to find plugin

Install EmbyCon? ^^

2019-12-05 21:55:18.423 T:3277161344 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.embycon/

2019-12-05 21:55:18.434 T:4064137232 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.embycon/) failed

2019-12-05 21:55:18.440 T:3236529024 ERROR: Unable to find plugin

Install EmbyCon? ^^

lol it's installed :P .  I had to sign out/in for the widget to appear, a restart and the widget is stuck until I sign out/in once more..