Nisten

ANSWERED Constant Loading on Roku 2

Nisten

I've been testing the playback quality and consistency for Recorded Media through my HDHOMERUN Connect. My roku 2 can play my local dvds and bluray files without any issues. However, I recently recorded a "Track and Field" sports program and it constantly buffers/loads every 1-3 minutes when I try to play it back on my roku 2. 

Emby is set to:

-Convert to MP4 on the fly

-Preserve original video & audio

-Transcoding is set to "Auto" for the thread count

-"Throttling" is enabled for Transcoding

Roku is set to:

-30 Mbps UHD for the Video Quality Stream (i changed this to 20 Mbps but with no effect)

S7 Edge is set to 

-20 Mbps HD for the Video Quality Stream (also successfully tested this as 30 Mbps for the stream) 

Connection

-I have a 50 Mbps connection and my roku 2 is wired to a gigabit Ethernet port on my Router. 

-S7 Edge was on a Wireless AC connection with a link rate of 400 Mbps plus 

Now I tried playing back the same "Track & Field" recording on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge through the Emby Android App and I had no problems whatsoever.

I was reading on similar issues reported and i'm thinking the issue might be because the roku 2 can't play back the native framerate so its still transcoding even though its in a streaming-friendly format but if that is the case, I want to know how to go about fixing it. 

The 1057pm file should be the roku playback log while the 1054pm file should be the S7 Edge playback log. 

7-11-17 @ 1054pm.txt

7-11-17 @ 1057pm.txt

ebr

The transcoding speed (20fps) does not appear to be fast enough for smooth playback.

Emby is set to:

-Convert to MP4 on the fly

-Preserve original video & audio

-Transcoding is set to "Auto" for the thread count

-"Throttling" is enabled for Transcoding

You set the system to preserve the original video and audio - not convert it.  If you deselect that, it will probably convert it to something that doesn't have to be transcoded on the Roku.

• Like 1

Nisten

Would there be a noticeable drop in video quality if the preserve original video option is unchecked? 

Luke

No, it shouldn't.

• Like 1

Nisten

Alright, thanks for all the help  :)