HOW TO: Fix - Can't Play Videos on app or Modern IE

Starkadius

• 1 month later...

OK guys, I have been scratching my head for days playing with this, yes I am a nube, I can get my device to recognize all my videos, but it will not play mpegs, it gives me the "video failed to play" others will play. I can even play an mpeg to the x box, just not locally.   I have tied the advice thus far with no luck so far.  Running Windows 8.1 on an Asus transformer. Please help.....   Thanks nube 

• 3 weeks later...
AdrianW

I bought the Win 8 app yesterday (on the 99c deal) and the whole UI looks great, and navigation is quick and easy - but I haven't managed to playback anything.

I just get "Video failed to play" message every time, with all types of videos (mkv, avi, even mp4).

I've run Win7DSFilterTweaker  and made sure the MS decoders aren't disabled and that AAC for 32bit and 64bit is set to Microsoft.

I've updated my audio drivers (Realtek) to the latest and my Video drivers (AMD) as well.

So, I don't know what else to try.

I have this installed on the same PC on which I already have MBC and MBT installed and working.

Starkadius

@@AdrianW

Hm not sure what more can be suggested which hasn't been covered in the first post. Here is nothing (take a note of your settings somewhere before attempting) you could try setting all the preferred decoders Win7DSFilterTweaker to "Microsoft" for both 32-bit and 64-bit decoders except for H.264(leave this to USE MERIT if set). Test video playback and if it does work then I would suggest taking the painstakingly slow task of putting the settings back to how they were until you find the culprit.

If it doesn't work I don't know what else it could be. I would suggest starting a thread for 7illusions to look at.

• 6 months later...

I'm actually having a similar issue.  I've got things runninig good, I can watch movies, and all that.  The thing is I can't play back live tv in the windows 8.1 app.  Not sure what's happening.  When I go to view a channel, I get the error, "The video failed to play".  I can play live tv in Chrome Browser, and IE browser, but not sure why not the app.  Is this a similar issue, or something else?

Edited by russds

Starkadius

I'm actually having a similar issue.  I've got things runninig good, I can watch movies, and all that.  The thing is I can't play back live tv in the windows 8.1 app.  Not sure what's happening.  When I go to view a channel, I get the error, "The video failed to play".  I can play live tv in Chrome Browser, and IE browser, but not sure why not the app.  Is this a similar issue, or something else?

I don't believe that is related to this thread. I also do not get live tv playback in the app but I believe it has not been fully implemented yet. I may be wrong about that. In any case you should start a new thread for that issue.