Being nagged to purchase Emby Premiere

charredchar

kevinmd88

Perhaps this is some sort of activist movement we're seeing here. They get nagged by the app, so they feel the need to retort in the only way they know how: nag back.

I have a social experiment for those who posted in this thread about the inconvenience of the nag-screen but have not contributed to the product in any way whatsoever. Go out to the largest city nearest you, walk up to complete strangers and ask them if you can have something they're carrying on them. A jacket, a pair of gloves, a hat, a bag of groceries, anything you can see out in the open. Make it clear you're not going to pay for it, you just really like it and think they should give it to you. Assuming you don't get beat up, I'd love to see your running tally of success - how many people out there were willing to give you something valuable to them, at absolutely no cost? If you exceed zero, you must be very good looking, charismatic, or a con artist.

You don't get something for nothing. That's a harsh reality for anyone who expects the world to hand them buckets of movies at no cost, present them with awesome cross-platform software at no cost, and even have it setup for them with no expended effort on their part. A new millenium chock full of instant gratification where bitching about what you don't like to people who don't care about you deludes you into thinking you've made a difference... Time to grow up. Here's the price you pay, and it's what Emby will ask of you as a company. This product, while open-source, has a cost to develop and maintain, a cost that Emby is fully within their own boundaries to pass on to you, the user who expects it to work well when they install it. It may have free features, any one of which could be changed or assigned a price tag at any time.

Your options are as follows:

a. Pay Emby the price they ask for their product. Whether it's the nag screen, or the dollar amount.

b. Find another product asking a price you're happy with.

c. Start your own company and make a product that does what you need.

d. Bitch.

Option a - makes sense. Option b - that's your prerogative as a consumer, nobody's holding a shotgun to your head forcing you to use software you're unhappy with, whether it's the product itself or the price you pay for it. Option c - good luck, especially if you plan to offer it to people for free. Option d - Reeny reeny reeny reeny blabber blabber blabber neener neener neener neener reeny reeny.

Now go online and post an ad on Craigslist in the "Looking For" section. Mention that you're looking for a fully-functional, feature-rich smartphone, and that you won't pay for it either, you just really want a nice phone. Other than Nigerian princes and creepers, keep a running tally of your success rate there too. Then use your brand-new, cost-free smartphone to hop online and tell us all about it.

Edited by kevinmd88
  • Like 12

overClocked!

Option d - Reeny reeny reeny reeny blabber blabber blabber neener neener neener neener reeny reeny.

Lol! Anybody else besides me actually understand that? I did mention before that I was married...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I take me previous post back.  If i could like this^^ 1billion times, I would.

breezytm

Perhaps this is some sort of activist movement we're seeing here. They get nagged by the app, so they feel the need to retort in the only way they know how: nag back.

I have a social experiment for those who posted in this thread about the inconvenience of the nag-screen but have not contributed to the product in any way whatsoever. Go out to the largest city nearest you, walk up to complete strangers and ask them if you can have something they're carrying on them. A jacket, a pair of gloves, a hat, a bag of groceries, anything you can see out in the open. Make it clear you're not going to pay for it, you just really like it and think they should give it to you. Assuming you don't get beat up, I'd love to see your running tally of success - how many people out there were willing to give you something valuable to them, at absolutely no cost? If you exceed zero, you must be very good looking, charismatic, or a con artist.

You don't get something for nothing. That's a harsh reality for anyone who expects the world to hand them buckets of movies at no cost, present them with awesome cross-platform software at no cost, and even have it setup for them with no expended effort on their part. A new millenium chock full of instant gratification where bitching about what you don't like to people who don't care about you deludes you into thinking you've made a difference... Time to grow up. Here's the price you pay, and it's what Emby will ask of you as a company. This product, while open-source, has a cost to develop and maintain, a cost that Emby is fully within their own boundaries to pass on to you, the user who expects it to work well when they install it. It may have free features, any one of which could be changed or assigned a price tag at any time.

Your options are as follows:

a. Pay Emby the price they ask for their product. Whether it's the nag screen, or the dollar amount.

b. Find another product asking a price you're happy with.

c. Start your own company and make a product that does what you need.

d. Bitch.

Option a - makes sense. Option b - that's your prerogative as a consumer, nobody's holding a shotgun to your head forcing you to use software you're unhappy with, whether it's the product itself or the price you pay for it. Option c - good luck, especially if you plan to offer it to people for free. Option d - Reeny reeny reeny reeny blabber blabber blabber neener neener neener neener reeny reeny.

Now go online and post an ad on Craigslist in the "Looking For" section. Mention that you're looking for a fully-functional, feature-rich smartphone, and that you won't pay for it either, you just really want a nice phone. Other than Nigerian princes and creepers, keep a running tally of your success rate there too. Then use your brand-new, cost-free smartphone to hop online and tell us all about it.

That's one way to talk down to people for thinking differently than you do. Complaining about the "nag" is not asking for handouts. Your analogy to me does not relate to this topic in any shape or form. Emby is already giving away something for free. It's not the same as going to someone who isn't offering anything and ask for their belongings.  Emby, as a company, should rely on premiere customers as well as those who are beta testing it. That's the only way the word would go out and bring in new customers. If the beta testers have a horrible experience trying out the software they would share that with others. It's basic human nature.  I guess it was easy for you to do considering you were in a crowd full of people already sharing your views. 

But anyway, thanks @@Luke for listening and made the necessary changes. Much Appreciated. I hope everyone is happy

~ Comment coming from someone who was never affected by the "nag" but tries to understand his point of view is not the only one that matters in this world so we must also consider others. 

• Like 2

dcook

I think there should be no free option.

Really who can not afford $5 per month or $50 per year?  

It is not much at all.

Give everyone 30 day free trial so they can make sure Emby suits them, and then require Premiere.

@@Luke and the other developers are not going to work for free, development costs money.

Otherwise this would simply be @@Luke's hobby and eventually he would tire of it or move on to another project and Emby would eventually die as its no longer being maintained.

• Like 5

Mevlock

Emby is nice and all but certainly not something I'd pay a monthly or even yearly subscription for.

I'd just either go back to Plex or go without server side media management.

Currently it seems that they have a very large pool of free users. A small percentage of whom then go on to pay. Either to support the devs or because they like the perks that come with premiere.

Without the free option you'd lose this large pool of users, and many possible future paying users.

Doesn't seem like a smart idea when there are other free alternatives out there.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm old school in that I don't like subscription based software. But after a few months of usng using Emby and once I'm happy with my setup there's a good chance I'll be paying the lifetime fee.

Edited by Mevlock

Andy777

There should be no "nag." This is an open source project. There should be server and viewing capabilities. Anything extra should be made available to Premiere users.

Seriously? That's really only your opinion (while truly ethically respectfull). Nothing prevents anybody (including me) to write fully open source software that does nothing else than nags. It would still be open source.

Emby source is in github Fork it and remove nags.

BR

Andy777

Edited by Andy777

cptlores

Emby source is in github Fork it and remove nags.

No need, it's a 5 min .js file edit to remove the nag.  But that is not the point.  While fully legal, in the open source community it is considered bad form to put artificial limits on established free functionality for the sake of commercialization since it goes against the ethos of open source. I have no problem with premium features, but I have a big problem with limitations being back-ported into the free part. It was after all the previously unrestricted free part that made me an user, and then a paying premium costumer (no longer).

overClocked!

No need, it's a 5 min .js file edit to remove the nag. But that is not the point. While fully legal, in the open source community it is considered bad form to put artificial limits on established free functionality for the sake of commercialization since it goes against the ethos of open source. I have no problem with premium features, but I have a big problem with limitations being back-ported into the free part. It was after all the previously unrestricted free part that made me an user, and then a paying premium costumer (no longer).

This makes sense. Thanks.

But is a temporary screen a limitation if it does nothing to actually stifle the function of the product? It's just there for information and doesn't prevent one from doing anything (except bypass it from the front-end). And it doesn't demand or lock anything in exchange for payment.

I think therein lies the gray area.

Sort of like what Captain Barbosa states of the "Pirates Code" (as set forth by Morgan and Bartholomew). "They're more like guidelines than actual rules..."

Sorry couldn't help myself.

I do get you, though. It's the principle of the thing. And I can respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by overClocked!
  • Like 1

overClocked!

No need, it's a 5 min .js file edit to remove the nag. But that is not the point. While fully legal, in the open source community it is considered bad form to put artificial limits on established free functionality for the sake of commercialization since it goes against the ethos of open source. I have no problem with premium features, but I have a big problem with limitations being back-ported into the free part. It was after all the previously unrestricted free part that made me an user, and then a paying premium costumer (no longer).

Isn't ethical behavior a two-way street, though?

Is there not also a code of conduct relevant to the consumer? I think it goes something like this:

"If you find this software useful, please consider a contribution to its continued development and existence".

The Emby team might have limited opportunities to advertise their product. The best way yo do that is through the product itself.

The core product (server) remains free and unobstructed. The web client remains free and save for a brief advertisement, unhindered. It's just the perception that the screen creates for those who aren't really understanding the spirit of the message it displays.

Of course, the Emby team has a duty to conform to the "ethos of open source" (I like that term by the way). But they also depend heavily on the consumers of their product to show them some love for the labor they put in.

Reminds me of another quote from one of my favorite movies:

"Always do the right thing" - Da Mayor

kmarq13

I've used Emby for quite some time now as a free user. I've bought a monthly sub a couple of times to check out some of the in progress things (LiveTV). I've purchased the Android Mobile and Android TV apps and use them frequently. However, until the server features cover my usage I won't buy a premier license. I frequently go onto the web app to verify new rips and stuff. The nag screen is a real annoyance. I would buy the web app separately if it was an option to get rid of that.

To me the free features of Emby are outstanding. It is an amazing product that I recommend all over the place. However, those free features lose a ton of appeal when you are inconvenienced by an ad. IMO the free features speak for themselves and will suck in paying users as they see the additional functionality that is available. Keep the popup ad to inform users, but kill the stupid timer. 

As someone who regularly touts the amazing community around Emby as a major selling point, the hostility and arrogance in this thread is sickening. 

• 1 month later...
Assmonkey

I'm a long time user of Emby but since I have no use for the premium features and the price being ridiculously steep for a lifetime license, I've never even considered buying.

Now having this freaking countdown shoved down the throat of my users (I'm not affected since I don't use Emby for myself), they've all but abandoned using my server.

I'd gladly pay 10-20 bucks to just get rid of the nag in the free version and as I already said, I don't care about the premium features nor do my users.

I think it's sad that I'd have to downgrade to an older version with bugs just to get around this...

zigzagtshirt

the price being ridiculously steep for a lifetime license, I've never even considered buying.

I think it's sad that I'd have to downgrade to an older version with bugs just to get around this...

I think it's sad that someone who probably dumped a crap ton of money into his server, power usage, and content collection feigns financial hardship to whine about being asked (not forced) to pay $99 one time for a product that he's contributed zero to.

Edited by zigzagtshirt
  • Like 2

Assmonkey

I think it's sad that someone who probably dumped a crap ton of money into his server, power usage, and content collection feigns financial hardship to whine about being asked (not forced) to pay $99 one time for a product that he's contributed zero to.

So you think it's feasible to pay 99 bucks JUST to get rid of all the nags? You seem to be forgetting that I won't be using any of the premium features either way.

zigzagtshirt

So you think it's feasible to pay 99 bucks JUST to get rid of all the nags? You seem to be forgetting that I won't be using any of the premium features either way.

I'm not forgetting anything.

You are not entitled to someone else's labor for free.

• Like 2

cptlores

I'm not forgetting anything.

You are not entitled to someone else's labor for free.

That question goes both ways. What makes Emby so special compared to the completely free open source projects it relies on? Like most open source software, Emby is build on top of and relies heavily on other open source projects to work. Just because Emby has the UI that users relate to, it is suddenly worth more than others projects? Make it clear that you need premium to get premium support and premium features without artificially limiting the free features and the noise goes away.

Edited by cptlores

zigzagtshirt

That question goes both ways. What makes Emby so special compared to the completely free open source projects it relies on? Like most open source software, Emby is build on top of and relies heavily on other open source projects to work. Just because Emby has the UI that users relate to, it is suddenly worth more than others projects? Make it clear that you need premium to get premium support and premium features without artificially limiting the free features and the noise goes away.

If you would like to spend countless hours developing and maintaining your own alternative product, and give all of it away for nothing, then you are free to do so.

Edited by zigzagtshirt
  • Like 4

mellomade

What makes Emby so special compared to the completely free open source projects it relies on? Like most open source software, Emby is build on top of and relies heavily on other open source projects to work. Just because Emby has the UI that users relate to, it is suddenly worth more than others projects? Make it clear that you need premium to get premium support and premium features without artificially limiting the free features and the noise goes away.

I would love to know which projects you are referring too.  Because I know of no other completely open source project that does even half of what Emby does for free.  Would love to be proven wrong here.

• Like 1

cptlores

Some of you guys really don't get open source do you..

A big part of Emby is made possible using other open source projects given away for free. Some of witch are much larger projects with many more commits and contributors then Emby has. But they are still given away completely and totally free, for the sole purpose of advancing the state of free software for all. This is open source in a nutshell. This is also why it is so problematic when a open source project that would not even have existed in the first place without the help of other free open source projects, wants to go the commercial route. But as long as the already established and functional system is maintained in an unaffected and still free state, with premium support and extended features being boxed off most sensible people are fine with it. It is only when the premium part starts to spill over into and affect the core free features that people get upset.

So if Emby is so unique and exceptional that everybody should have to pay for it, should you then not also have to pay to use for example FFmpeg? FFmpeg is a much larger project with many, many more work hours put into it. And without FFmpeg, Emby would be pretty useless. So why should Emby cost money and FFmpeg be free? Using your logic you would then first have to pay for Emby, and then once more for each and every of the other open source projects that Emby relies on to work. Most of them larger (and then by your logic more expensive) then Emby.

Edited by cptlores

mellomade

This is not the first time this conversation has arisen - and I still don't get why some people are so convinced that anything open source must not cost any money.  Just because many open source projects are free doesn't mean they ALL must be free.  To quote the preamble of the GPL which most, if not all, open source projects are licensed under:

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."

You are free to download Emby's source code - modify it to remove the license code if you wish and compile it yourself.  This costs no money to do - but I am guessing you (like me) do not have the expertise to do this for yourself.

I would actually argue that FFmpeg would be useless without applications like Emby, because the expertise required to utilize FFmpeg without an application like Emby would certainly put the user in the class that could modify and compile an application from source and get round the whole pay wall to begin with.

But that clearly is not the majority of users here (or anywhere).  Emby is providing people with a service, and a great one at that.  Life will be better if you get used to the idea that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Or think about it from this perspective:  you could go off on your own and learn to code, create and maintain your own software that does everything Emby does and put it out there for free.  For me, even the thought of doing all that and having to deal with users who will still complain about something makes $100 look like a steal.

• Like 4

cptlores

You are missing the point. Nobody has a problem with Emby charging for Premium features and/or support. The single source of friction is that the drive to get people to pay for Premium is spilling over into the established free part. And the argument about still having access to the Emby source, is pretty much the exact opposite of what you then say about FFmpeg having less 'value' because it is mostly for advanced users.

I have personally donated plenty of hours to open source myself, and I can assure you that I have the skill set to maintain a Emby fork if I wanted to (take a guess what modifications have been done to my personal version of Emby). But I am trying to be civil and maintain good form and not do so, because I would much rather have the original project not only do what is legal withing the GPL license, but also the 'right thing' from a open source philosophy standpoint.

Edited by cptlores