Being nagged to purchase Emby Premiere

charredchar

Jdiesel

IMHO that's an awful long list of features to remove to still end up with a less nagging nag screen. Personally would just go back to the previous un-16 second nag. Admittedly devs may have upped the nag as the previous one wasn't working, but it doesn't really seem to be meeting with universal acclaim. Maybe a bit more carrot - 'we see you haven't purchased Emby Premiere yet, save 20% if you purchase in the next 24 hours....'

That list was specific for a reason as I was taking a jab that those complaining that the main competitor doesn't have a nag screen since the main competitor also doesn't offer that list of features for free. I don't really know the best way to go about it but I do hope that Emby can attract new paying customers so the project can continue to grow and be a better experience for everyone paying or not.

kjp4756

I agree, the nag screen is a bit much.  I don't want emby premiere.  I've already bought the apps that I need so I don't need the free apps it gives.  I don't care about sync and live tv.  The lifetime fee is too much for me due to the canadian dollar being quite low right now.  I don't like the monthly or yearly option.

What you need to do is offer a donate option.  Someone can donate like $15 and in return they get a nag free experience.  Or look at it another way, charge a one time fee for the web app like you do for the android and ios app.

overClocked!

I agree, the nag screen is a bit much. I don't want emby premiere. I've already bought the apps that I need so I don't need the free apps it gives. I don't care about sync and live tv. The lifetime fee is too much for me due to the canadian dollar being quite low right now. I don't like the monthly or yearly option.

I think I agree with you in the case of an app that has been purchased. To me, if I've paid for the privilege of media playback on my device, I don't want anything obstructing that experience. The perception of the paying customer is that you are not only unlocking the feature, but also removing the ads and restrictions. Having a forced pop-up message with a timer appear after you've paid is not only an irritation, but it also brings into question the ethics of the developer. That's the reason for all the backlash in this scenario.

For the completely free client options, I think the reminder messages are fair.

What you need to do is offer a donate option. Someone can donate like $15 and in return they get a nag free experience. Or look at it another way, charge a one time fee for the web app like you do for the android and ios app.

See here for the reasons why there's no longer a "donate" option.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43077-ability-to-donate/page-1

And by web app, are you referring to the built-in client that comes with the server or the Emby Theater web client? I personally think ET should also be available for a one time purchase, and I seem to recall that may be a possibility in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

kjp4756

I think I agree with you in the case of an app that has been purchased. To me, if I've paid for the privilege of media playback on my device, I don't want anything obstructing that experience. The perception of the paying customer is that you are not only unlocking the feature, but also removing the ads and restrictions. Having a forced pop-up message with a timer appear after you've paid is not only an irritation, but it also brings into question the ethics of the developer. That's the reason for all the backlash in this scenario.

For the completely free client options, I think the reminder messages are fair.

See here for the reasons why there's no longer a "donate" option.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43077-ability-to-donate/page-1

And by web app, are you referring to the built-in client that comes with the server or the Emby Theater web client? I personally think ET should also be available for a one time purchase, and I seem to recall that may be a possibility in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring to the built-in web client. That's all I use on my portable devices. The wife uses iOS and Android apps. We also primarily use Kodi.

I'd gladly pay some sort of a small unlock fee for the web client in order to not be nagged about premiere. I don't want premiere. I still support the devs by buying there apps when needed.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

breezytm

I think management got a clue by now. Non-premiere users hate nag. Premiere users think they are overreacting. I think we should leave it as that and allow them some time to make a decision. I personally stand with the ones asking to have the "nag" removed. I would also kindly ask Emby to do a better job at defining what is premiere and what isn't because clearly I don't see they really have much to bargain with. Most of their bargaining chips are already given away for free. 

"Maybe if live TV, managed users, shared plugins, hardware transcoding, premium metadata, parental controls, movie trailers, camera upload" ~ Most of them, in my opinion, should have been only given to premiere users. 

• Like 1

dcrdev

I personally don't think I'd have a leg to stand on by complaining as it is free after all. What I do however take exception to is the way the Emby team is handling these changes - there's never any warning or announcement advising us of these changes. It's like the DVR feature one day it worked, the next I needed premiere - no warning whatsoever.

maegibbons

All users.  All official Apps, There is a 15 device limit built in.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

Steinar79

All users.  All official Apps, There is a 15 device limit built in.

Krs

Mark

Thanks! I'll go for a monthly subscription first, and then lifetime if I'm satisfied :-). 

maegibbons

Hi

Thats the way I did it and the way that I recommend everyone should do it.

Not a lot of cost, Prove the product. Invest in Lifetime.

Krs

Mark

Terrible decision,  glad I only tested for a month.   Cancelled, uninstalled.    I will perhaps revisit later.

The fanbois here are something else.

What does this convey?   To the layman, it says the bank accounts are running low.   And that's a little troubling for more than one reason.

Don't give me the value proposition.  I'm a developer, I get the game.   I'm willing to pay, but not at gunpoint.

maegibbons

I'm interested to hear why it was so terrible... :-)

Think he is referring to the general theme of the thread about the nag screen.... not your decision per se, to try it!!

It obviously was not for him, which is fine, everbodys use case is different. The whole point of the monthly sub is so that you can try EVERYTHING for very little outlay.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear why it was so terrible... :-)

Yes, apologies if it appeared I was referencing anybody in particular.

It was about the decision to lock -my- media behind an ad-wall.

mastrmind11

Your media isn't locked behind an ad-wall... double click a file in any file explorer and it will play without Emby being present, for free.  Doesn't play?  Download VLC and repeat, it'll play, for free....    Want your shit categorized, managed, with a nice, consistent UI across all your devices?  Pay for it.

And tbh, the word "fanboi" is tired.  Go read the forums for 10 mins and you'll see the same "fanbois" flaming the devs for design decisions, etc.  Just because someone pays for and supports a product's potential does not make them a "fanboi" any more than it makes you a "fanboi" of a mummified wallet.  You get what you pay for,  and if you pay for something that turns out not to be 'as described', you certainly have more of a voice than some random interwebz lurker whining about having to shell out cash to get his media in order the right way.   :rolleyes:

Or, go use Plex and see what's available for free (hint: far less than Emby)...

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 4

I guess I missed the part where Plex added a silly countdown timer that delays you from watching your content from their web app. Oh, and out of the box it will do everything you just said we have to pay for (minus playback on the mobile app for $5). Nobody is arguing over their extra 'features' and their worth-- they just want to be able to play their own damn content. Why invest such a large amount when not a single feature gained from Emby premier is something I need, other than the ability to play back media without being hit with timers that make me feel like I'm on a sleazy MegaUpload style site? Like many others who probably also work in an IT-related field, I shared Emby with co-workers who might want to take the plunge into a media server setup. The demo doesn't go quite so well when there's a nag popping up unless they sink in $100, especially when their needs are basic and Plex is right over there. But this has already been debated over and over in this thread, so it's just beating a dead horse at this point. They probably are going to keep this 'feature' in, despite the objections. If it's too annoying, fork it yourself and 'fix' the problem, or just switch to Plex. Kodi now works better with Plex and since it's available on so many platforms the biggest impediment is probably just switching the library over. Regardless, I don't think there's any need to keep talking in circles over this.

Steinar79

I think the Emby team should do whatever they think is most profitable, and which I don't know the answer. Free riders will not help the project if they don't make any indirect income. Nothing is free in this world (well except GPL and "free speech" ;) ). I'd rather want Emby to nag and beg for my dollars than having it the Google way with targeting ads and spying to make it "free".  With Plex's properitary code, you'll never no what they'll do. 

breezytm

Some of ya'll do sound like fanboys. Quit lecturing people about what they should do. You do not know anyone else circumstances. If they don't wish to pay for Emby they do not have to. But that doesn't change the fact that they should be allowed to watch a video without being "nagged." Besides everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don't know how many times some of ya'll are going to repeat how many features Emby is giving for free but Plex isn't. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps there are people out there who doesn't care about these extra features. If that was the case, everyone from Plex would have left and came here already. 

But that doesn't change the fact that they should be allowed to watch a video without being "nagged." 

I'm just curious why you feel that is a "fact"?

Spaceboy

I explained why numerous time already on this thread. 

well.... not really. you said that you believed that as the project was open source then all users should be free to play back their media. but someone else already told you that you're wrong. open source does not mean free.

users are free to play back their media. with vlc or similar. the project will not miss free loaders

• Like 2

arrbee99

Still reckon it should be dialed back to the previous version. People didn't seem to mind before the 15 second thing. Doesn't look good if your showing off to your friends / potential customers.

Also see Post #7 and 'free' and 'periodic reminders'. Again, everybody has their own version of periodic reminders...

Free? No, I don't think nobody has made the argument that Emby should be an entirely free product. But pushing Premiere so hard, then sending in the big guns to question why users would be upset by the idea of nag-free video watching is just not helping the cause. Because it ends only a couple different ways for the wide swaths of users that only need remote playback and basic organization/scraping. They will go to Plex or they will grudgingly endure the heavy-handed nag  until something else better comes along. Or, they will fork the code and remove it themselves. And nobody wins this war since you still don't get the premiere fees and the project could just dry out. The problem is your all or nothing philosophy to playback on the web app. It shouldn't be too hard to realize user consternation when you're told to fork over $100 to get rid of a nag screen.

By the way, really like the "free loader" dig considering I've paid for the Android app (and this was many months ago when it was pretty buggy) just to be able to watch my own content. You'll totally win over hearts and minds with that.

Catsrules

Just like to throw my two cents in here.

I don't like the 15 seconds nagging screen, I fear it will drive the potential future Premiere users away before they get a chance to see and appreciate the product.

Just to share my personal experience, I used the free version of Emby for a good 3-4 months before I finely took to plunge and got Premiere. Honestly if this nagging screen existed when I was using the free version I don't think I would have stuck with Emby. I know it doesn't sound like along time but 15 seconds is along time to stare at the same thing day after day especially when your all excited and amped up to watch the new movie or TV show. I think it will just make people annoyed and angry.

Just my thoughts of an alternatives.

• Change the 15 seconds message to just popup in the corners of the screen and let the video start playing.

• Change  when the popup pops up, for example when you finish a video. Say something about how Emby helped you watch this movie. Please consider buying the product. (I like this option)

• Remove the popup completely and display a little logo or message about premiere when videos are paused.

• Removed the 15 second counter and just display the message with a close button.
Edited by Catsrules
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I think the team is a bit boxed in.  They have committed to giving away way more than they should IMO.  The base product is way too generous in its features.  All these posters that will clearly NEVER pay for the product demonstrate the issue pretty neatly.  If you look at the reaction to charging for ET when they started the project over you can imagine the reasonable discussions that would result from paring back the free features.

Is here anything else remotely effective left beyond this nag screen?  I look at that list that @@Catsrules suggested and while they are all perfectly nice ideas, every single one of them is easily ignored by design.  I don't know what I'd implement if I were in charge of the decision, but it wouldn't be something you can just click past or ignore.