Duplicate artist

skynet600
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Tremas

:) You're right. At least I was consistant (repeatible, but not accurate)!

[edited post above]

48c.jpg

Edited by Tremas
  • Like 1

yardameus

The new answer is to remove the metadata from your artist folder.  This change was made to try and resolve Artist issues.  So Emby will not write to Artist folder anymore.  You are seeing the effects of reading existing metadata in Artist folder.

So it no longer saves into the artist folder?  Will that affect using Kodi?  I'm not quite sure how much of the info Kodi gets from Emby server versus how much it get's from .nfo in music 

artist folder.

Happy2Play

So it no longer saves into the artist folder?  Will that affect using Kodi?  I'm not quite sure how much of the info Kodi gets from Emby server versus how much it get's from .nfo in music 

artist folder.

Have you seen this topic?

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

yardameus

No, I had not seen that topic.  Shouldn't we have the option to save metadata into media folders removed?

Edited by yardameus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
damian

@@Luke Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a few duplicate artists and its very annoying. I can't get rid of them. Same as above. If I remove the artist both disappear after a scan. If I read the artist both appear again. I can confirm all tags are perfect in the source folders. The tags used to be wrong as in "Alice in Chains" and was "Alice In Chains" but after I fixed them the artist with the old tags would never disappear.

Happy2Play

@@Luke Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a few duplicate artists and its very annoying. I can't get rid of them. Same as above. If I remove the artist both disappear after a scan. If I read the artist both appear again. I can confirm all tags are perfect in the source folders. The tags used to be wrong as in "Alice in Chains" and was "Alice In Chains" but after I fixed them the artist with the old tags would never disappear.

Without manually finding the issue in the library.db and correcting the issue yourself, you will probably have to delete/backup (just in case) and rebuild it.

But note your watched status is stored in that database now so you would need to use the Server Configuration Backup plugin.

yardameus

The new answer is to remove the metadata from your artist folder.  This change was made to try and resolve Artist issues.  So Emby will not write to Artist folder anymore.  You are seeing the effects of reading existing metadata in Artist folder.

This took care of the issue for me.  Removed all the artist.nfo from the actual media folders.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
skynet600

I am now duplicate free but where I had duplicates the titles I have now have a path pointing to appdata and not the artist folder. The duplicates also had one entry pointing to the artist folder but that went away after I removed the nfo file. What is the correct path?

Edited by skynet600

• Solution
Happy2Play

Well the metadata should be only in one place.  Emby by default will put it in appdata now on new installs.  The conflict will come from old install and pre-existing metadata.  Emby will read from both location, it just becomes a conflict when both locations have metadata.

I personally prefer everything in artist folder so I move info from appdata to artist if it gets created there.

• Like 1

skynet600

I'm inclined to agree.  I moved what was in appdata to artist and now things are consistent.  There is a place to toggle "Saving metadata into media folder" under Music so I guess if enabled this will save to artist folder and not appdata?  Also under library/advanced there is a metadata path.  I guess the default here is appdata also.  It would be nice if it showed the active path.