Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

More than 60°C‎: ‎Is too hot

40°C to 55°C‎: ‎Acceptable

25°C to 40°C‎: ‎Ideal

Less than 25°C‎: ‎Too cold

You never get good cool out that case design and fact are hot swap are poor at air flow any way

I try flopping the 2 side fans around from blow in to out and same with rear fan see if lower the temp any

That is what I was thinking. Would Yall agree motherboard controlling the fans might help?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CBers

That is what I was thinking. Would Yall agree motherboard controlling the fans might help?

Yes. What MB is it, as for my Gigabyte MB, they have a suite of utilities that includes fan speed management.

Alternately, try SPEEDFAN.

SHSPVR

Are ref to PWM fans ?

You just need get some kind of static pressure, therefore a reduced CFM of airflow on one or more fans depend on setup. If all fans have same CFM rating the one or two with the a higher static pressure rating or high rpm is needed will pull flow more air draw a cross the parts which should lower temps.

Guest asrequested

Using the motherboard heat sensors won't help much. They monitor the ambient temperature. The drives will be hotter. Unless you can adjust the threshold to mimic the drive temps. My fan controller thermal probe is right nest to my hottest drive, and it's still off by 2-3C. I had to run tests to dial it in, to where I wanted it. With your fan placement, you need to get as much static pressure air flow being pull through the drive bays, as you can. So if you have open vents, the fans will just pull air through those, instead of the drive bays. You need to get air moving through the drives, any way you can. How big is the rear fan?

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

All three are 120 mm.

Guest asrequested

c6736add851fc61ab04da242b62d8d87.jpg

Looking at this, I'd replace those fans, too. With the Noctua fans. That'll knock down the ambient temp in the case. At 50% they are really good. They are PWM, so you mobo can control them.

Swynol

my seagate SAS drives always run hot. they were 46c quite often. i then installed some noctua 120mm 3000rpm fans and it brought the temps down to 36c-40c. Seagate says the drives are fine up to 50c, reliability starts to diminish above that. 

I have slowly been swapping out my SAS drives for slower RPM drives which run much cooler and use less watts.

try to get some fans that can suck the air through the hot swap bays and then exhaust fans at the rear sucking the air out.

you can just about see my fan wall with the noctuas here.

58adf49c9bac3_2.jpg

Edited by Swynol

mediacowboy

So I was looking at my logs for something and keep seeing the following error's. As this is the first time I have used any LSI type cards in my personal equipment can someone help me out.

Error
Event 11 
LSI_SAS2i

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0.
Warning
Even 129
LSI_SAS2i

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I did download a sas2 flash and ran sas2flash -listall and got back the following.

_Windows\sas2flash_win_x64_rel>sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Num   Ctlr            FW Ver        NVDATA        x86-BIOS         PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B2)     20.00.00.00    14.00.00.07    07.39.00.00     00:01:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS2Flash.

Any idea's?

Guest asrequested

I read a lot of reviews talking about the SAS connectors not in fully. Check your connections. It looks like you have the latest firmware.

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

I have a few Error 11 approx 6 a month - i am not seeing any issues - i suspect its drives which are spun down not coming backup quick enough - or before the LSi timeout - not 100% about that

Have no error 129 - which i would be more worried about

my firmware is 20.00.07/7.39.02

Win 2012R2

mediacowboy

So I've been thinking about the errors and delay in boot up. Could all of this steam from the pci-e riser cable?

Swynol

i've been having Error 129 on my LSI card since i installed it about 6 months ago. Doesnt seem to affect my machine in any way.

mediacowboy

I like that it can support a full PCI card but that is about it. No room for water cooling and not a fan of the 1u power supply.

Guest asrequested

I like that it can support a full PCI card but that is about it. No room for water cooling and not a fan of the 1u power supply.

Yeah, the PSU was something I didn't like, too.