Emby Theater Xbox One Transcoding DCA DTS To Stereo

Scott310

Scott310

Per Luke's request I am posting this here.  I noticed recently that any movie coded in DCA DTS is being transcoded down to stereo instead of AC3 5.1.  The server dashboard says that it is direct streaming to xbox but it also show the progress bar used for transcoding as well.  Just noticed this problem recently as I used to get 5.1 on Xbox One for all my files.  A large portion of my collection is coded in DCA DTS.  I am nauseous at the idea of having to recode the majority of my collection to AC3 5.1  when emby used to just do it on the fly.

I will proved any additional logs you need.

http://pastebin.com/NWCnLHNe

ffmpeg-remux-f0765025-43f8-4112-8e62-126ca572a0a3.txt

• Like 1

Scott310

Do I need to recode my entire collection or do you see a problem here? I know you are busy and I appreciate you looking into this...

Scott310

I thought maybe I was going crazy so I went back and checked a few files that I watched recently that were in 5.1 surround.  They too were encoded in DCA.  At the time I watched them they were in 5.1 now they are only in stereo.  So this must be a recent issue.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I thought maybe I was going crazy so I went back and checked a few files that I watched recently that were in 5.1 surround.  They too were encoded in DCA.  At the time I watched them they were in 5.1 now they are only in stereo.  So this must be a recent issue.

Agree, I'm pretty sure I've played DTS 5.1 which was transcoded to AC3 5.1 before which is why I was surprised when you said something and I checked my logs.  I think maybe since the last update I got from the store all DTS is being transcoded to AC3 Stereo

Scott310

Agree, I'm pretty sure I've played DTS 5.1 which was transcoded to AC3 5.1 before which is why I was surprised when you said something and I checked my logs.  I think maybe since the last update I got from the store all DTS is being transcoded to AC3 Stereo

I absolutely agree...

Scott310

We know you are very busy and appreciate all of your hard work. I know Eta's are never concrete but is there maybe a guesstimate of when the next update might roll out?

We know you are very busy and appreciate all of your hard work. I know Eta's are never concrete but is there maybe a guesstimate of when the next update might roll out?

In the future.... Just kidding... Couldn't resist.

• 2 weeks later...
Scott310

Any word yet possibly when this will be fixed? My home theater is useless when using xbox one as a front end and everything is down mixed to stereo. I knew I shouldn't have removed the HTPC. lol

FrostByte

This appears to be totally broke now after loading new version.  Whenever trying to play a MKV with DCA audio the app just goes totally black and never comes back.  You need to go to the dashboard and click "exit" before you can even go back into the app.  AC3 MKV files play fine though.  I tried several movies, but in the link you can see me trying to play the movie 300 before it errors

http://pastebin.com/Nppmbw3W

Edit: dashboard says v2.01 Direct Playing, but it never moves.  Just stuck at the black screen

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Here is the one for the movie 300.  I've tried 5 movies with DTS and I get the same result for each.  Tried the movie Braveheart with AC3 and had no issues at all.

5858402b2c011_black.jpg

FrostByte

Just to add there is no transcode/remux log created, and nothing in the transcoding folder either.

Here is a screen shot of the web clients dashboard after I let it sit for over an hour with no progress for one of the movies

5858614aa7e41_300.jpg

The transcoding of DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 MKV files seemed to work perfect a couple releases ago.  Starting with the last release DTS 5.1 was being transcoded to AC3 2.0 and now starting with today's new release all files containing DTS just send the XB1 ET app into a forever black screen.

Maybe it's the new blurred backdrops in this release causing it :)

Edited by FrostByte

Scott310

My movies with DTS will play but they are still in 2.0. However if I attempt to skip forward I end up with the black screen of death. After waiting a few minutes in the black I got frozen image of that part of the movie.

Scott310

I can confirm, I just tried to play a movie encoded in DTS and it completely froze up. All other codecs play just fine...

Scott310

Just an update incase you are unaware. Although it seems like you may be working on it. Now dts files will not play at all. Plus the video backdrop for a file that is in DTS will not load. Every thing works perfectly for other codecs

I'm unable to reproduce that on Xbox One. The change for DTS is to allow them to direct play. With or without the system bitstream setting I see no problem. Please note my test system is up to date and is largely on stock settings, so it hasn't really been tinkered with much.

Scott310

Also I don't k iw if this info helps but I tried to get the dts file to play through DLNA, Media player, and even tried using "ember". Dts files won't play through any of these methods right now.

We're not passing anything. We're just playing a video using the system video player. We're not involved with the audio output method at all.

Scott310

Yeah then I don't know. We are definitely experiencing this and I'm not the only one. I will work with you and give you every bit of detail you need to help get this working again. It's a shame I have company here tonight and I know they will want to watch movie and I have to tell them to watch Netflix cause emby theater isn't working... bummer

Yea because we weren't' trying to direct play DTS, it was always transcoding. I guess we should apologize for trying to bring you guys an extra feature. Ultimately this is a problem with the system video player, and it's unfortunate that we might have to take away DTS passthrough until it is resolved.

• Like 1