Emby Theater Xbox One Transcoding DCA DTS To Stereo

Scott310

Update: went out and bought an optical cable and got a somewhat different result.

Current Setup includes 2 paths:

Hardware: 

Connection 1:  XB1 --> HDMI --> TV --> HDMI ARC --> HTS

Connection 2: XB1 --> Optical cable --> HTS --> HDMI ARC --> TV

XB1 settings:

HDMI bitstream

Optical bitstream

Bitstream format DTS

Tried playing a movie with DTS (Jurassic Park in log files) and movie just stopped playing about 10 - 15 seconds into it after transcoding to AC3 5.1

So I'm guessing the XB1 is smart enough to know that it can't send the DTS track through the HDMI and is now going through the optical cable because I'm no longer getting the black screen of death after just adding the optical cable to my previous setup.  However, it's being transcoded to AC3 5.1 and then erroring.  Not sure why it's transcoding unless the optical cable can't handle DTS?  However, at least it's transcoding to AC3 Stereo 5.1 and remuxing which isn't too bad if not for the fact the movie just stops about 15 seconds into it.  Native AC3 files play with no issues.

Server log:

http://pastebin.com/LpKHRB4X

Remux log:

http://pastebin.com/8gSGXY6t

I just messed around with this when I got a new TV and found that the path really matters. If my computer went directly to the TV no matter what I did the TV would report to the video card that it was only 2 channel capable. If I hooked it to AVR all the other formats were available. Could you try XB1 HDMI to AVR HDMI to TV? This would eliminate the TV reporting limited capabilities.

FrostByte

I just messed around with this when I got a new TV and found that the path really matters. If my computer went directly to the TV no matter what I did the TV would report to the video card that it was only 2 channel capable. If I hooked it to AVR all the other formats were available. Could you try XB1 HDMI to AVR HDMI to TV? This would eliminate the TV reporting limited capabilities.

Thanks, that does work.  In fact I had it set that way awhile back and changed it to my current setup because it causes other issues.  I bought a Hauppauge tv tuner hooked to my XB1 to use OneGuide, etc and with the XB1 connected to the HTS first the XB1 OneGuide setup can't see my TV. 

Plus the wife likes the current setup because everything is on the same HDMI connection (LiveTV, XB1, Blue-ray playback, Skype, etc) and all she needs to do is turn on the XB1 with the media remote for everything.  With it setup the other way on the tv remote we need to switch input devices and HDMI ports whenever we change from what we're doing.  We sort of got used to not having to mess with all that and just use the XB1 as a media center for everything. 

I'm willing to let DTS 5.1 convert to AC3 5.1 in order to use the XB1 as my all in one media center, but it doesn't work any more since the update so I might have to find other options

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I disabled DTS passthrough for optical on account of the issues in yesterday's release

OK, I guess the XB1 isn't as smart as I thought then.  The app is probably seeing the optical cable is setup and then transcoding and most likely still going out the HDMI port for playback

Edited by FrostByte

Well at least we know where the fault lies. Totally understand and I tried to do the same thing but ultimately just invested in Harmony remotes and they work really well with automatically switching inputs. It's less than elegant but I wanted best available from everything and it's crazy that there is not really a hdmi protocol that these manufacturers adhere too. Now there may be a setting in your TV that changes what it reports.... Through my research some models do and some don't.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Well at least we know where the fault lies. Totally understand and I tried to do the same thing but ultimately just invested in Harmony remotes and they work really well with automatically switching inputs. It's less than elegant but I wanted best available from everything and it's crazy that there is not really a hdmi protocol that these manufacturers adhere too. Now there may be a setting in your TV that changes what it reports.... Through my research some models do and some don't.

Ya, it may all come down to convenience vs getting the best playback experience with no transcoding.  I might just have to stick with the Samsung apps then because they work perfect for everything and cut out the XB1 is a middle

FrostByte

What do you mean by the Xbox One cannot see the TV? I don't understand what do you want it to do that it's not?

That's just the OneGuide setup on the XB1.  If the XB1 is hooked up to the HTS first and then the TV it can't find the TV.  OneGuide needs the XB1 hooked directly to the TV using HDMI to configure things (I assume for controlling the TV volume, channels, etc).  At least in my experience that's the way it works :)  For everything else it's not a problem having the XB1 hooked to the HTS first and then the TV.

I have a Kinect on the one I actually use the one guide control for so I think mine uses IR blasters from it to control the TV, etc.   I am not sure but maybe without a Kinect, you could set it up, power down and plug it in the way you want it?  I would assume your receiver is controlling the volume and the usb tuner is controlling the channel so all the Xbox really needs to do at the end of the day is power on and off the tv which I am pretty certain could be done via hdmi cable.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I have a Kinect on the one I actually use the one guide control for so I think mine uses IR blasters from it to control the TV, etc.   I am not sure but maybe without a Kinect, you could set it up, power down and plug it in the way you want it?  I would assume your receiver is controlling the volume and the usb tuner is controlling the channel so all the Xbox really needs to do at the end of the day is power on and off the tv which I am pretty certain could be done via hdmi cable.

Hmm...never thought of that.  I'll mess around with some different hookups now that the OneGuide is setup.  Thanks

FrostByte

Are we still working on fxing the transcoding though? Or am I left with no choice but to upgrade my AVR to HDMI audio?

I have a spare HDMI cable if you want to fly over here and get it :)

Scott310

Hey Luke, just wanted to report back and say thanks! After forcing the update today, I can confirm that once again xbox one emby theater is transcoding DTS over optical to AC3 5.1. It sounds just like it did a few releases back. Thanks again!