Emby Theater Xbox One Transcoding DCA DTS To Stereo

Scott310

I only have DTS-HD files but I set my Xbox One to Bitstream out and Bitstream Format to DTS-HD and I am definitely getting surround sound. Just went down and tested it. I am also using HDMI and not optical. A true HD file played as well as Dts-hd and ac3 all in surround sound.

Maybe instead of transcoding the DTS to AC3 we could have an option for just letting the DTS pass through to the xbox. I'm not sure what happened here but I will do anything I can to help get this working again.

That's what this new version is trying to do, but it looks like at least for optical output we are going to have to go back to transcoding.

I only have DTS-HD files but I set my Xbox One to Bitstream out and Bitstream Format to DTS-HD and I am definitely getting surround sound. Just went down and tested it. I am also using HDMI and not optical. A true HD file played as well as Dts-hd and ac3 all in surround sound.

Thank you for confirming this. That's exactly what I'm seeing. I think in the simple scenario of HDMI to receiver, this is going to be fine. For optical I think MS still has issues to work out and we're going to have to go back to transcoding.

Scott310

Ah yes this seems like the solution. I have spoken to other people and it only seems to be people that have optical. I don't mind the transcoding over optical and I think it sounds great. Soon I will be switching to HDMI but I the mean time if optical transcoding was available still that wold be great...

FrostByte

What about people that have audio systems which don't support DTS?  I know a lot of early Samsung devices (sound bars, etc) didn't have DTS.  A couple releases ago when you had the XB1 set to DD bitstream the XB1 app would convert DTS 5.1 audio to AC3 5.1 and then remux with no issue.  Now what happens if you play DTS in that scenario you get the black screen of death. 

If you want to leave the DTS the way it is now why not then have an option in settings where the user can choose to "convert DTS to AC3" if they have audio systems which don't support DTS (or can't get it work).  This is the way the old Orsay app handled it anyway, otherwise it just streamed DTS just like the XB1 app is doing now.  That would technically cover all scenarios and you don't have to check for anything.

• Like 1

What about people that have audio systems which don't support DTS?  I know a lot of early Samsung devices (sound bars, etc) didn't have DTS.  A couple releases ago when you had the XB1 set to DD bitstream the XB1 app would convert DTS 5.1 audio to AC3 5.1 and then remux with no issue.  Now what happens if you play DTS in that scenario you get the black screen of death. 

If you want to leave the DTS the way it is now why not then have an option in settings where the user can choose to "convert DTS to AC3" if they have audio systems which don't support DTS (or can't get it work).  This is the way the old Orsay app handled it anyway, otherwise it just streamed DTS just like the XB1 app is doing now.  That would technically cover all scenarios and you don't have to check for anything.

What is your DTS bitstream setting in xbox one settings?

Scott310

Hey luke, so I forced the update. I Closed and restarted Emby. I also did a hard reboot of the xbox one. Then I restarted emby server and did a full library scan. But for some reason now 90 percent of my collection is showing no cover posters. And when I go to the movie detail page it does not show the poster or backdrop/video backdrop. If I try to play the movie, I get the black screen of death. I so wanted this to work and to leave you alone. Lol. I'm sure there is just a tweak hopefully that needs to be done. Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately the update somehow made it worse...

FrostByte

What is your DTS bitstream setting in xbox one settings?

In both scenarios below hardware is setup as XB1 --> HDMI --> Samsung TV  --> HDMI ARC --> Home Theater System (both TV and HTS support DTS)

Scenario 1:

XB1 HDMI Bitstream out

XB1 bitstream format Dolby Digital

Samsung TV set at Dolby Digital output sound for XB1 HDMI port

I get sounds when moving around XB1, but I no longer get movement sounds once I start ET (option is set to play sounds)

App will play AC3 5.1 in AC3 surround 5.1

App gets a black screen of death playing DTS

---------

Scenario 2:

XB1 HDMI bitstream out

XB1 bitstream format DTS surround

Samsung TV set at DTS neo 2:5 for XB1 HDMI port (regular DTS is greyed out)

XB1 plays sounds when moving around

No logner get sounds when moving around ET app

App plays AC3 5.1 in stereo 2.0 now

App gets a black screen of death when trying to play DTS video

-------

A couple of releases ago I would get AC3 5.1 to Direct Stream and DTS 5.1 would transcode/remux to AC3 5.1.  

I was also able to get movement sounds in the app before, but I no longer get any in the current version

-----

When using the Samsung app DTS 5.1 works just fine streaming from Emby.  So I spent some time on the AVSforum last night and it appears Samsung TVs (at least 2014 models) will not passthrough DTS 5.1, it will only passthrough Dolby 5.1.  So that may explain why DTS isn't working for me since it goes from XB1 to TV to HTS and not just from TV to HTS like when using the Samsung app

Edit: when I get my new EvoKit with 2015 SmartHub next week I will see if it will passthrough DTS 5.1

Edited by FrostByte

Scott310

Ok my bad. Never mind about the posters issue and the movie nit playing. I realized one of my drives was offline. Restarting the drive fixed that. However I am still only getting stereo from DTS files. I see it transcoding but I'm only getting 2.0

FrostByte

Update: went out and bought an optical cable and got a somewhat different result.

Current Setup includes 2 paths:

Hardware: 

Connection 1:  XB1 --> HDMI --> TV --> HDMI ARC --> HTS

Connection 2: XB1 --> Optical cable --> HTS --> HDMI ARC --> TV

XB1 settings:

HDMI bitstream

Optical bitstream

Bitstream format DTS

Tried playing a movie with DTS (Jurassic Park in log files) and movie just stopped playing about 10 - 15 seconds into it after transcoding to AC3 5.1

So I'm guessing the XB1 is smart enough to know that it can't send the DTS track through the HDMI and is now going through the optical cable because I'm no longer getting the black screen of death after just adding the optical cable to my previous setup.  However, it's being transcoded to AC3 5.1 and then erroring.  Not sure why it's transcoding unless the optical cable can't handle DTS?  However, at least it's transcoding to AC3 Stereo 5.1 and remuxing which isn't too bad if not for the fact the movie just stops about 15 seconds into it.  Native AC3 files play with no issues.

Server log:

http://pastebin.com/LpKHRB4X

Remux log:

http://pastebin.com/8gSGXY6t

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I disabled DTS passthrough for optical on account of the issues in yesterday's release

Well crap I was hoping it would work :)  It shouldn't error though. 

How do you know which version you have?  I didn't see an update when I went to the store and not sure if I got that update unless it did it automatically.  I see 2.0.1 in the dashboard

Scott310

Oh my bad Luke, I thought you had told me that you put out an update that should fix my issue. I forced it to download but still the same issue. Did we discover that the update didn't work?

FrostByte

I had the same issue as frostbyte for one of my movies.  It also stopped about 15 seconds in.

I've tried about 10 DTS movies now and get the same result :(

Scott310

This may be a silly question that I think I already know the answer to but do you think HDMI to optical converter would help me temporarily until I switch to an upgraded reciever?