Emby Theater Xbox One Transcoding DCA DTS To Stereo

Scott310

Scott310

I wasn't being snide Luke. I appreciate 100 percent the ability to play DTS files and all the work you guys did to make it happen. I just hope that we can get it working again that's all.

are you hooked up to optical or hdmi? the problem is the system video player is reporting DTS as being supported by your equipment. And then it's failing to actually play it.

FrostByte

Yea because we weren't' trying to direct play DTS, it was always transcoding.

Maybe add DTS passthrough as an option in settings then?  Not everyone has an audio system which supports all the new HD audio codecs.  At least I don't.  That way it will transcode DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 for those of us who don't and still satisfy those who spent the money for one.

I always worked before through optical and I have never used HDMI audio...

Are these files DTS or DTS-HD?

Maybe add DTS passthrough as an option in settings then?  Not everyone has an audio system which supports all the new HD audio codecs.  At least I don't.  That way it will transcode DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1 for those of us who don't and still satisfy those who spent the money for one.

Well if you look at the Xbox one dts settings, it has an option to do that on the device, right? And that's the default.

FrostByte

None of my files ate DTS-HD, only DCA DTS.

DTS-HD contains two streams, a HD stream and a lossy track.  The DTS decoder in your audio system should auto choose the lossy one if your system doesn't support HD

We're just going to have to see if we can detect optical output and then just not allow bitstreaming over it. at least until the issue is resolved in the system video player. Over HDMI I don't think there is any problem.

FrostByte

Well if you look at the Xbox one dts settings, it has an option to do that on the device, right? And that's the default.

I don't believe that has anything to do with streaming video though.  At least not on my system.  With DTS bitstreaming set in the XB1 settings I get sound all the way up to when the video starts to play.  Then I get no sound.  

My setup is XB1 to TV to HTS using ARC connection.  Maybe DTS can't passthrough ARC, not sure.  Just know it worked up until a couple releases ago when DTS 5.1 transcoded to AC3 5.1.

Scott310

We're just going to have to see if we can detect optical output and then just not allow bitstreaming over it. at least until the issue is resolved in the system video player. Over HDMI I don't think there is any problem.

That would be great. Do you think Xbox made a change to the system video player?  Because the transcoding from DTS to AC3 worked perfectly. before one of the last releases.

What do you think that setting is for then?

I thought that the setting was just for the standard audio out setting.  When my system is on it is set to straight.  But as soon as you turn on the Xbox it switches to reading DTS the entire time the xbox is on.    When I used my HTPC for instance with Emby theater my audio system would decode each file separately and will display the audio codec on the front LCD screen.  "dolby digital" "DTS"  and things like that.  If it wasn't in 5.1 audio the system would then use Dolby pro logic to spread it to all 5 speakers.  When I use the XBOX it is on DTS the entire time.  If I play a stereo file through the xbox I only get audio from the front left and right speakers even though the xbox is outputting DTS.

Does that make sense?

FrostByte

What do you think that setting is for then?

I don't know :)  Apps and BD playback?  I know it works just fine with DTS bitstream until I start a movie then I get no sound at all using my HDMI connection setup

Edit: I guess I'll just try and set up my system different other than using HDMI through ARC and see if that helps

Edited by FrostByte

After toggling the DTS setting, did you try restarting the app or did you just go out and come back in? Try actually quitting the app in between changing the setting. thanks.

Scott310

Maybe instead of transcoding the DTS to AC3 we could have an option for just letting the DTS pass through to the xbox. I'm not sure what happened here but I will do anything I can to help get this working again.

I'm not sure the Xbox is capable of passing through DTS-HD but someone can correct me on that. I'm pretty sure I set mine to 7.1 uncompressed for this very reason. In this scenario the Xbox One is doing the decoding and simply telling the receiver to play the appropriate sound in the appropriate speaker. It accomplishes the same thing but your receiver likely won't report it because it's not decoding the Xbox One is.

Scott310

I have mine set to 5.1 DTS to match my system. It always transcode before but now the movie will not even start. It's weird. It got progressivly worse over the past few days and especially after the.most recent update. Before the second to the last update it transcoded beautifully. Then when the update came out it transcode down to stereo. Then when. The most recent update came out, any movie in DTS not DTS-HD, won't even begin playing...

• Like 1