screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

robmich

Do you process for space reasons?  I use MCEBuddy for comskip, but just "process" as an unprocessed .mkv. That way I don't have to worry about things like that

kwilcox

QA request put in today.  Usually takes about 2-3 weeks.  See the Revision History post for specific enhancement details.  Here's a shot of the final collection screen layout:

2v2Efhzh4xQr3s.png

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Forgot to mention: Initially, the total number of days that the "Shows" selection will load is one.  This can be adjusted up to seven in settings:

2v2EfjNMNxQr3s.png

Seven days gives you the best overall view of your available shows, however the more days screenplay loads, the slower performance becomes.  I have access to 64 channels on my tuner and performance is acceptable with the setting at seven days.

I'm interested to know if I need to optimize this more.  Sooo... let me know how many channels you are receiving if its more than 64.  HDHomerun shows this info on the web interface under "channel lineup" (subtract premium channels > 1000 if it shows them) or you can count them up in Emby server:

2v2EfjzbhxQr3s.png

Edited by kwilcox

skank

Direct play is without transcoding right? so i need to switch it on in settings

if i leave it "off" it transcodes?

skank

Only external subs are supported? No internal?

Also , can i change audiotrack? i can assign a button for enable/disable subs, but chose audio?

About screenplay, it looks very nice ! Truly, my compliments...

The only "problem" i have is, i cant chose between audio tracks and subtiles...

And sometimes subtitles dont show

If thats fixed in my case... i have no longer need for a mediaplayer, but i can use this app

Edited by skank

kwilcox

The main screenplay documentation page can be found here.  This app is designed as a high performance client for your emby server and the philosophy behind it is that you will use emby and third party tools to create the movie/show settings that you desire ahead of time. However, there have also been a lot of requests for improved sub/audio track handling so I will definitely be doing this as part of a future round of enhancements.  Btw, when set to direct play, there is no transcoding.  Also, external sub files add more flexibility due to our LG TVs' limited mkv format support.  Our TVs are hard coded to always display the first internal sub file if found.  For this reason, I generally mux internal subs out then re-add them as external files.

Edited by kwilcox

skank

The main screenplay documentation page can be found here.  This app is designed as a high performance client for your emby server and the philosophy behind it is that you will use emby and third party tools to create the movie/show settings that you desire ahead of time. However, there have also been a lot of requests for improved sub/audio track handling so I will definitely be doing this as part of a future round of enhancements.  Btw, when set to direct play, there is no transcoding.  Also, external sub files add more flexibility due to our LG TVs' limited mkv format support.  Our TVs are hard coded to always display the first internal sub file if found.  For this reason, I generally mux internal subs out then re-add them as external files.

Ok good to know 

How do i mux those subs out?

About the audio handling.. any idea when that will come?

i have a lot of movies for children which have dutch and english audio, dutch for kids and english for me

Now they hear english :(

So this is kinda urgent :P

Tried the emby app, but is much less snapier :(

kwilcox

I use the MKVToolNix GUI but I've seen command line stuff too.  There's some good posts on this a few pages back that even show ways to automatically schedule sub track removal.  You also have a good reason for multiple audio track support btw!  I'm thinking sreenplay will get another release of liveTv enhancements and then I will start in on improved playback support.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

I had to cancel QA because I uncovered a significant bug.  Trying to make sense out of Emby's timer handling logic, then translating it to something that makes sense in the UI as well has been giving me fits.  I believe I have it sorted now though.  Good news is that a better collection items screen design is going in right away:

2v2EATC9qxQr3s.png

anonymous22334455

this is really great, can i use this for plex client? or just for emmby? any eta when this will be release at lg store? thanks.

Edited by anonymous22334455

kwilcox

Its strictly for Emby Server.  However the screenplay UI is based on the "Playz" client for Plex by Simon Hogan.  He gave up on the Playz port to Emby while it was still in early development and published the source code to the public domain where I picked up where he left off.  Screenplay remains an open source project in part for this reason.  Playz was originally released on the LG WebOS platform back in 2014 but I'm unsure of its current status, and I also can't find it in my LG store.

http://playz.sithari.com.au/

It typically takes LG 2-3 weeks to finish a QA cycle.

Edited by kwilcox

kerbalizer
Hi, I own a year2013 model:LG 55LA6608 (https://www.lg.com/de/tv/lg-55LA6608 - EAN: 8806084237354).

currently installed firmware: Software File(Version 04.28.17) (filename: NC4_DVB_EU_MP1_SU2_mtk5398_A2_official-build-nc40-eu-m13-42817RevNo62064_V04.28.17_usb_V2_SECURED.epk)

How can I enable the developer mode? The app is not available in the LG store (it's called LG smart world there).

I really don't want to buy a new TV, there's nothing wrong with it except that its old.

Will this device be supported by screenplay?

kwilcox

If you can see screenplay in your app store then it is supported.  Typically, your TV must be running WebOS v1.4 or better, and also UHD (1920x1080) capable in both TV and App mode.

anonymous22334455

i just try your app dude, watching 4k hdr spider-verse and i gotta say i’m still prefer emby app. i really appreciate your work on this, but i personally think you need to work with ui/ux designer to improve the ui/ux of your app because right now is just not that great. also i don’t know why, maybe because its still need to load every metadata from my emby server, when i browse my collection on this app it take forever to load movie and tv poster. and i don’t how your app handle 4k hdr, it seem to me the color a bit wash. like the app cant properly handle hdr. keep the good work tho, its always great to have an alternative for everything. thanks.

PS: Since you know about coding, why not just port kodi to webos? i just can’t believe there’s not 1 brainiac out there who not try to port kodi, its the best app for everything. man, i wish i know how to code! :)

kwilcox

screenplay doesn't handle HDR, your LG TV does through its implementation of the HTML 5 video tag. Interesting that you are only seeing this on screenplay since using the video tag method is the only means LG gives us for video playback.

When you mention slow poster load times, could it be that your movie poster images are extremely large?  No need for anything much bigger than 1920x1080 in app mode so all posters on my personal emby server follow those sizing guidelines.  Maybe this is the reason for your load delay?  Since you can play 4K without stuttering, it would appear that your network connection to your emby server has sufficient bandwidth.  Maybe it is due to your having an extremely large collection also.  I have noticed individual thumb lag on large Live TV show collections and am actively working on that.  Here is how poster load times look on a simulated movie collection with about 200 titles:

Also, the screenplay UI is not mine.  It follows the design from this thread which (as you can see) was met with a great deal of enthusiasm when it was released.  This thread is a continuation of that joint collaboration UI design.  If you go to the original screenplay thread (here) you can see that original design being actively worked on by an international team of members from this community.

So, I'm sorry that you don't like the UI; I felt that having the community work on the design from the beginning was and continues to be the best way to proceed.  Me, I can't draw stick figures lol.  If you want to add some input it would be appreciated!  I'm not at all happy with the collection screens since the single letter index is too generalized for large collections.  Feel free to mock up any ideas you might have and post them here!  Also, feel free to have a look at the Live TV stuff I've posted above.  Thoughts?  Ideas?

Speaking of Live TV, LG has begun QA testing of v1.5.2.  If it makes it through their process, then it will reach the LG app store with several bugs which are corrected in v1.5.3 and detailed in the release notes.  One of them is significant: tasks disappear after Emby server removes the base episode for a series recording.  Because of this, it is my intention to put v1.5.3 in for QA immediately if v1.5.2 gets released, but I felt that it was important to get Live TV functionality exposed to a larger group of beta testers so I didn't remove v1.5.2 from consideration by the LG QA team.

edit: uh oh.... looks like their testing uncovered a pretty big resume playback bug.  Hopefully they will notice it.  v1.5.2 appears to be headed for rejection.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Well, this is a problem.  Screenplay v1.5.2, which has a pretty significant issue with playback resume, made it through LG QA and was released today.

Consequently, I've immediately submitted v1.5.3 for QA to correct this.  Check the release notes for the known issues with v1.5.2 and upgrade if you want to test out Live TV.  Otherwise, it'll take about 2-3 weeks for v1.5.3 to make it through QA.

Specifically, if you want to test out this version, keep in mind the following issues:

• clicking the resume button on a resumable item does nothing.  The resume button no longer functions.
  • Tasks will be blank if there are series recordings active and emby server has removed the first episode in the series (usually happens about a week after the episode airs).

3/27 edit: LG is testing the update now.  If approved, I'll submit 1.5.4 which adds a real cool enhancement to the tasks screen: clicking a task brings up the upcoming schedule for a series recording.  I'm actually quite happy with LiveTV on v1.5.4.

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 1

kwilcox

v1.5.3 was rejected by QA.  They flushed out some really old bugs that centered around hitting color keys and/or the back button during the server/user login pages.  Those pages are both quite primitive; not much changed since the original code when Simon & I were both still trying to figure out the LG input UI.   Working on the corrections now...

edit... aaand fixed.  v1.5.4 has been submitted for QA.  Looks like turnaround time @ LG is down to about a week now.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

v1.5.4 was approved by LG QA today. See the revision history for enhancements/bug fixes.  Also see post #1 for updated Live TV and coverart support screenshots.

This is a stable release with workable live TV support that includes the improved task UI, so screenplay's two fans should both feel free to upgrade and comment lol...

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 1

LuckyLukeX

@kwilcox

Failing resume playback function was a pain ... now it's fixed, so you didn't loose a fan (and count also the rest of my family)!
I didn't had time to test the new functions (TV related) for now, anyway it's a great great app for me (do you know 
captatio benevolentiae?)
;)

Edited by LuckyLukeX