Request new player in android/amazon app

wolfgang

shorty1483

Here is a question for you super-tweakers:

If we were to pass the actual direct path to the item to your external player (the value shown below), would any of them be able to access and play it?

57bb596ea400b_directpath.png

Not the android ones as far as I know. VLC implemented smb support, but I tried with UNC in VLC and MXPlayer and it did not work. Also as soon as the shares are password protected it does not get easier.

@@CBers @@Angelblue05 is Emby for Kodi using UNC in native mode? When looking into file Manger it's also using smb://

gesendet von meinem Galaxy Tab S2 LTE

Edited by shorty1483

CBers

I can't explain why it isn't disabled like the other ignored options but I have seen that problem sometimes with the settings dialog. It isn't consistent, right? If you just un-check and re-check the external option that one gets disabled, right?

Correct.

RanmaCanada

Ok, while using MX Player as my external, after an episode completes, I am unable to get back to Emby.  By completes I mean played it all the way till the end and the file has stopped playing.  It looks like both MX Player and Emby crash.  If I use the home button on my remote, I can get back to the home screen, and then go back into Emby.  I do not have this issue if I use SPMC, so it could just be an issue with MX Player.  

Should I move this to the beta section?  

Ok, while using MX Player as my external, after an episode completes, I am unable to get back to Emby.  By completes I mean played it all the way till the end and the file has stopped playing.  It looks like both MX Player and Emby crash.  If I use the home button on my remote, I can get back to the home screen, and then go back into Emby.  I do not have this issue if I use SPMC, so it could just be an issue with MX Player.  

Should I move this to the beta section?  

If you can get back to Emby from the home screen then Emby did not crash.  Maybe MX player did.

I haven't tested playing all the way to the end but I have hit the "back" button during playback and it goes back to our app when I do that.

Vidman

Not the android ones as far as I know. VLC implemented smb support, but I tried with UNC in VLC and MXPlayer and it did not work. Also as soon as the shares are password protected it does not get easier.

@@CBers @@Angelblue05 is Emby for Kodi using UNC in native mode? When looking into file Manger it's also using smb://

gesendet von meinem Galaxy Tab S2 LTE

Kodi for emby uses its own smb/nfs implementation so UNC path should work with spmc/kodi for android
  • Like 1

MSattler

Here is a question for you super-tweakers:

If we were to pass the actual direct path to the item to your external player (the value shown below), would any of them be able to access and play it?

57bb596ea400b_directpath.png

MXPlayer should be able to play directly from SMB.  It looks like right now, even though it says Direct Play, it is actually Direct Streaming right?

shorty1483

MXPlayer should be able to play directly from SMB.  It looks like right now, even though it says Direct Play, it is actually Direct Streaming right?

MX Player doesn't have native SMB client. So, It won't work until or unless there is some other client app which will run as a localhost, e.g. a File Explorer that serves the path as URL to MX. Same thing for VLC.

Edited by shorty1483

CBers

The network location of a file is stored in the Kodi database.

It then plays directly from the network location, bypassing the Emby server completely, hence Direct Play.

I'm sure @@Angelblue05 will correct me.

Anything initiated by the server is a stream, hence Direct Stream.

Sorry, I know you know that, but might be useful for others to know the difference.

• Like 1

Kodi for emby uses its own smb/nfs implementation so UNC path should work with spmc/kodi for android

Is anyone able to test this if I put in the option to pass the path directly?

CBers

Is anyone able to test this if I put in the option to pass the path directly?

I have a couple of hours available to test.

What do you need doing?

joshroblee

Hi, this is defo a step in a good direction (external player support) but are you going to use a built in player that has better support than VLC at some point in the future? The reason I ask is so that the OSD has all the graphics like poster, logo etc to keep it all looking polished?

Thanks

CBers

Hi, this is defo a step in a good direction (external player support) but are you going to use a built in player that has better support than VLC at some point in the future? The reason I ask is so that the OSD has all the graphics like poster, logo etc to keep it all looking polished?

Thanks

Strangely enough, the Archos Media Player looks good, as it seems to read the metadata as a stand-alone app.

• Like 1

There is also bsplayer. It has free version, supports dts and dolby as direct. Why no love for good ol trusty bsplayer? You should have both bsplayer and mxplayer. When one fails you try the other. The two are always leapfrog each other with features.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free

Edited by speechles

Okay, .36 is on its way up to beta with a new option to send the direct path to the external player.  Obviously, this requires proper server setup and a player that can access that path but we did get it working with spmc and Archos.

Thanks to @@CBers for helping to work out the early kinks.

• Like 4

CBers

No worries, glad I could help :)

For information, I was able to Direct Play videos from the Emby ATV app, to Kodi, SPMC and Archos Media Player.

shorty1483

Archos Up and running, waiting for Beta. btw @@ebr in almost every case using external Player after playing a video or when exiting video after a longer time, the ATV App freezes and I see just a grey screen. First I thought is is due to SPMC buffers settings, but it also occurs using MX, Archos and VLC. Need to force stop Emby in App settings. Is there any log I can provide?

Edited by shorty1483

Nebular Nerd

Okay, .36 is on its way up to beta with a new option to send the direct path to the external player.  Obviously, this requires proper server setup and a player that can access that path but we did get it working with spmc and Archos.

Am I reading this right, you've updated the Amazon Fire App to support an external player at long last? I've only been asking since you released it, as mentioned many times before in all the threads about this the FireTV stick is woefully underpowered in the cpu dept. but it's little gpu is surprisingly nippy. MX Player will handle pretty much anything chuck at it provided you download the custom codec off XDA to support the hardware. Aside from really really high bitrate stuff like Avatar's Blu-Ray release most stuff will play just great.

I used to run Emby Android as a sideload on the FireTV stick and dumped out to MX Player just fine until the Android App got a bit too heavy for the Stick to deal with. Also look to remux your .avi to .mkv or .mp4 for best playback support as .avi's can be a bit ropey at times just to spite you, a file may transcode under .avi but play direct as .mkv/.mp4 just fine.

It's not even really about network performance, I use Emby Android on my Ramos i9 a chinese tablet which has an Intel Atom and a rather iffy 2.4Ghz wifi chip yet it will direct stream 90% of my content without a hiccup to MX Player.

Going to Fire up the Fire Stick and grab that beta. :)

CBers

Archos Up and running, waiting for Beta. btw @@ebr in almost every case using external Player after playing a video or when exiting video after a longer time, the ATV App freezes and I see just a grey screen. First I thought is is due to SPMC buffers settings, but it also occurs using MX, Archos and VLC. Need to force stop Emby in App settings. Is there any log I can provide?

I didn't get any freezing of the ATV app when testing on my Shield.

shorty1483

I didn't get any freezing of the ATV app when testing on my Shield.

That's how it goes. Another device, another behaviour  :P  You have no problems, RanmaCanada needs to restart Emby when using MX, I need to force stop since Emby hangs. Perhaps ebr cannot make everyone happy. I wish there would be more people than the felt 5 trying to give feedback so that we could recognize a pattern in app behaviour on specific devices   :(

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

CBers

@@shorty1483 - Did you test the latest beta with Archos Media Player ??

I don't think having Kodi/SPMC as an external player is a good idea, as if they have the Emby for Kodi addon installed, you can still do all manor of things inside the app before returning to the Emby ATV app.

I think External Players should be limited to players, such as MX Player, Archos Media Player and BSPlayer for example.

Just my thoughts.

shorty1483

@@CBers No, the FTV is in the sleeping room, and guess what, the wife's still sleeping :D Will test after workout.

But I agree, Kodi is kinda senseless unless you leave it default and just use as player for Emby. Will later try the direct path mode with Archos.

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

Vidman

@@shorty1483 - Did you test the latest beta with Archos Media Player ??

I don't think having Kodi/SPMC as an external player is a good idea, as if they have the Emby for Kodi addon installed, you can still do all manor of things inside the app before returning to the Emby ATV app.

I think External Players should be limited to players, such as MX Player, Archos Media Player and BSPlayer for example.

Just my thoughts.

I think emby has no choice here, whichever apps advertise themselves as media Players to the OS will show up for selection Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

CBers

I think emby has no choice here, whichever apps advertise themselves as media Players to the OS will show up for selection

On first use, you can select a player and mark it as ALWAYS use this one, the same as with other Android actions.

Further to my earlier post, I was also able to play Live TV via an External Player..

Vidman

On first use, you can select a player and mark it as ALWAYS use this one, the same as with other Android actions.

Further to my earlier post, I was also able to play Live TV via an External Player..

Yea that is another OS feature. My point was the emby app does not decide which External players you can choose from Edited by Vidman