Request new player in android/amazon app

wolfgang

shorty1483

@@ebr So I tested a little bit on the FireTV 4K hardwired, and with Auto Bitrate setting, even on this device, the Playback freezes with high bitrate movies. Curently using sideloaded latest beta from GooglePlay. 

Setting down the max streaming value to 21 Mbit/s seems to let all videos run smoothly. I'm just curious why the same movies show nicely in Direct Play mode?

computerprep

I'll plus up this one too... but I'm at work right now and can't test or provide logs.
Some videos have been... idk, stuttery? opposite of smooth, but not dropping many consecutive frames. Feels like it's dropping every other frame, or every third frame, or so. No data to back that up, so idk how many frames it's actually dropping.

I'll play with my max streaming value and see how that affects things. Will report back later.

[Google Nexus Player, wifi 5GHz, very strong signal with very little interference]

shorty1483

The device only purports to support up to 20mb/s bitrates...

I know, that's the reason why I set it down. But that's not the answer to my question.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

i think the reason why vlc has worked out well for the mobile app is because the devices generally have more horsepower to play with, probably due to the way that mobile contracts generally make a lot more money.

shorty1483

i think the reason why vlc has worked out well for the mobile app is because the devices generally have more horsepower to play with, probably due to the way that mobile contracts generally make a lot more money.

We are talking, in my specific case, about a quad core not heavily loaded with apps dedicated just for playing videos. Pretty sure the FireTV 4K could perform the same than my old HTC One M8 which plays all videos flawlessly. And it does with Kodi/SPMC with just 2-3 of 4 cores in use.

As far as I'm aware vlc also uses the mediacodec API/decoder like vlc. So why the difference in behaviour compared to Kodi/SPMC?

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

Edit: But perhaps we should just abort the discussion. No offence. The app simply does not take the maximum out of my hardware. So I'm using another one that does successfully. Done. Thanks for your explanations. 

Edited by shorty1483

RanmaCanada

it is dropping frames on 720p and 1080p videos 1-2 every second or two.

the units are wired to gigabit connections.

but it is also a problem on the s905 chip and rk3368, with any of them they struggle, skip frames using the emby android/amazon but not with other players.

579640d819d86_videoinfo.png

What you need to do is go to the playback options on your android boxes and tick enable external players.  Then when you pick a file to play, you can decide what installed player on your android box to use.  Myself, I use SPMC.

shorty1483

What you need to do is go to the playback options on your android boxes and tick enable external players.  Then when you pick a file to play, you can decide what installed player on your android box to use.  Myself, I use SPMC.

Imo using another player is no good solution to improve Emby Android TV app itself.

Edited by shorty1483

RanmaCanada

Hi, that option is only on the mobile version of the app not the TV version.

Thanks

Well, then the mobile app is far superior than the TV app then.  I prefer the mobile app as it has a much better view for your movies and tv shows, and the option to use an external player is fundamental to finding out where problems lie.  As it is, my S905 boxes support 10bit HEVC, but VLC currently will not display it.  My dashboard says I am direct playing, but nothing comes out on the screen.  Use SPMC, and everything plays fine, audio passthrough the whole 9 yards.

My advice, switch to the mobile app till an external player option is made available.

RanmaCanada

Imo using another player is no good solution to improve Emby Android TV app itself.

Considering the internal app for playing is VLC, there is nothing Luke and company can do to improve the internal app.  VLC is open source and has a large community, but android support has only just started within the last year.  The amount of coding that would be required to fix this will take quite some time, so using an external player that already works, is a much better option.

• Like 1

Vidman

Well, then the mobile app is far superior than the TV app then. I prefer the mobile app as it has a much better view for your movies and tv shows, and the option to use an external player is fundamental to finding out where problems lie. As it is, my S905 boxes support 10bit HEVC, but VLC currently will not display it. My dashboard says I am direct playing, but nothing comes out on the screen. Use SPMC, and everything plays fine, audio passthrough the whole 9 yards.

My advice, switch to the mobile app till an external player option is made available.

The mobile app is not remote friendly, it requires touch or a pointing device Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

RanmaCanada

The mobile app is not remote friendly, it requires touch or a pointing device

The mobile app works fine with a remote.  It works better with touch or a pointing device, but you can work it with a remote.

• Like 1

Vidman

The mobile app works fine with a remote. It works better with touch or a pointing device, but you can work it with a remote.

Since when? I'll have to give it another try

I have not been doing any work on using the mobile app with a remote, but it's possible that it might be working by accident due to the merging of many shared components with emby theater.

RanmaCanada

Luke, maybe it's time to make the mobile app more "remote" friendly?  I know you have your hands full, but as the app gets more and more attention, more and more people are going to complain about things not working on their hardware, especially people with android tv's.  People who don't understand that libraries have to be built and coded by people for the hardware that is in those tvs.  We've already had several instances where people have no idea about codecs and playback, and when it comes to hardware and decoding libraries it's a whole new ballgame!  People don't seem to understand that just because your hardware supports a certain set of playback features, doesn't mean that the software will understand how to use that hardware.

Best example I can give is amilogic hardware.  The binaries are available to embed it into VLC, but the amount of work to do it is huge.  Kodi/SPMC already has those libraries built into it because people took the time to do it.  Heck if you have a shield, SPMC is THE player you want to use for Emby, not VLC.

You and the crew have done a fantastic job with everything, it's just people who don't seem to understand the software side of things that aren't happy.  Enable external playback support, then people can use the customized player in their TV to playback everything and be happy :P Or make the mobile app more remote friendly haha.

• Like 1

shorty1483

The mobile app works fine with a remote.  It works better with touch or a pointing device, but you can work it with a remote.

Nice catch, this was my first try 2 weeks ago. But I wasn't even able to go over the server selection screen :D

Brilliant if it does. The original Android app used to work with a remote but the function was disabled with the availability of EATV. I have been asking for it to be reinstated for ages because it makes for a much better user experience and as family members move from mobile to TV everything is in the same place. IMHO the EATV app should be deprecated in favour of EA with switchable touch/remote options which is what Plex does I think - same app across all Android devices with option switch for the end device. 

At the moment EATV is compromised because we can't play interlaced content (green stripe down side of the screen) plus the other anomalies mentioned here. The EATV look is also becoming tired as it is so generic - difficult to tell whether you are watching YouTube, Plex or Emby at times! I will try side loading EA to the Shield and keep my fingers crossed the remote functionality works once again, even if only by mistake. 

EDIT: EA works on the Shield with (almost) full remote. All my video's play perfectly so I can now watch TV recordings without the green line. Icon does not appear on the Shield Home screen as it is not signed for anything other than mobile but it does appear in HAL launcher. Family very happy! Only real downside is there is not full navigation - you can't navigate across the main headings with the remote which is a shame and you need an air mouse when you log on for the first time. Can you find time to add this Luke?

Edited by Heuer
  • Like 2

...difficult to tell whether you are watching YouTube, Plex or Emby at times!

Why do you care?

This familiarity of interface is exactly what these platforms are striving for because it means that a user of the platform can immediately understand how to use any app on it.

shorty1483

@@ebr

Got a new problem. You know I followed your advice and lowered the max streaming bitrate to 21 Mbit (but also tried 15 Mbit). This works well now on the FTV 4K. 

But whenever a movie with a bitrate lower than the max limit gets remuxed (just audio transcoding due to my settings), the video freezes nevertheless. If I let it transcode as a proof of concept to around the same bitrate as the original, it works nicely. There are no errors in server log. I attached the 2 logs for the same file as an example.

ffmpeg-transcode-92c701a4-5513-453d-91a0-52575719ce73.txt

ffmpeg-remux-3836b94d-08f5-49ba-9131-59c34da71198.txt

Edited by shorty1483

Why do you care?

This familiarity of interface is exactly what these platforms are striving for because it means that a user of the platform can immediately understand how to use any app on it.

I agree but surely it is down to customer choice and my choice would be to have an app that works on the Shield TV without "known problems". In my case this includes not only the green line but also the constant spinning circle when trying to watch live TV. An Emby app exists that works superbly but for some reason there is a blanket refusal to add one or two additional remote commands to allow it to work on Shield or Fire TV devices.

So if I want to use EA on my Shield TV "Why do you care"?

Vidman

Personally I would prefer emby theater for android ( with a functional offline sync)

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

I agree but surely it is down to customer choice and my choice would be to have an app that works on the Shield TV without "known problems". In my case this includes not only the green line but also the constant spinning circle when trying to watch live TV. An Emby app exists that works superbly but for some reason there is a blanket refusal to add one or two additional remote commands to allow it to work on Shield or Fire TV devices.

So if I want to use EA on my Shield TV "Why do you care"?

I don't but your response had nothing to do with my statement :).

As for the two issues that are bothering you, one of them is fixed in the current beta and the other one will be in the next one.  But you made a statement about the interface so I was responding to that.

shorty1483

@@ebr

Got a new problem. You know I followed your advice and lowered the max streaming bitrate to 21 Mbit (but also tried 15 Mbit). This works well now on the FTV 4K. 

But whenever a movie with a bitrate lower than the max limit gets remuxed (just audio transcoding due to my settings), the video freezes nevertheless. If I let it transcode as a proof of concept to around the same bitrate as the original, it works nicely. There are no errors in server log. I attached the 2 logs for the same file as an example.

Installed .30g and still the same. Any suggestions?