Request new player in android/amazon app

wolfgang

RanmaCanada

Plex has an entire PAID teams of developers.  If you really have such a problem with using an external player, then I would say go back to Plex and their eco-system because it's obvious you don't understand how difficult the development process is.  Luke and the other developers actively listen to the community and try to implement changes as quickly as possible, sometimes within minutes.  Every single player Plex uses for each device is custom coded.  Emby does not have the resources to do something like that, hence why they are using an open source program like VLC.  But again, you don't seem to understand that.  Plex is closed source, Emby for the most part is open source.  

Plex has the player support they have because of the sheer amount of resources they have.  Emby does not have that luxury and that is why these "band aids" have been implemented until more work can be done.  Remember, Emby has a handful of programmers, most of which are volunteers.  Plex has teams of programmers, that are paid a regular salary.

In 2014, Plex raised $10 million from the venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins. In a interview at CES 2014, Scott Olechowski, Plex Chief Product Officer, added that Plex is considering to eventually add paid music downloads, or team up with a music subscription service, to give users a chance to grow their music library. These partnerships like the one with VEVO (see #Music library below) is costing real money for Plex, which justifies this fund raising from Kleiner Perkins.[19]

As of July 2016, Plex GmbH has 65 employees.

Edited by RanmaCanada

joshroblee

I was just pointing out about Plex on raspberry pi, what I am trying to point out is myself and probably others would go to premiere which would be more money for emby if you had a fully fledged (or at least close to) theatre app on one of these devices.

I do understand the way Plex/emby work and am not here to start an arguement.

Hi, can you please tell us the plans you have for this. At the mo I have 3 android boxes and only the Amazon fire TV 4k that does about 90% of the videos, rokus that are looking a bit old with the layout(including blue neon) and raspberry pis that aren't supported because the kodi plugin is too unstable. The server does a great job but you just dont seem to have a decent player. Premiere would be my next step when i get a fully working player to play my videos.

Not sure what you mean about "raspberry pis that aren't supported because the kodi plugin is too unstable", as they work just fine.

If you have issues then please raise separate posts in the relevant areas of these forums.

Angelblue05

raspberry pis that aren't supported because the kodi plugin is too unstable.

What are you referring to exactly? Seems like you had the kodi plugin misconfigured, because that's the first time ever I'm hearing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

joshroblee

Its started with the library not updating after about a week, reinstall and complete resync and then again after a week it stopped. Then it kept exiting sync. This was on a PC and android.

Edited by joshroblee

Angelblue05

Your issue is not something that's been reported. If you take the time and report it, it can be resolved in a quick manner. If you change your mind, grab your Kodi log from the time you see the error: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/&do=findComment&comment=170843

By the way, there's been a recent change where Emby returns virtual episodes. It was causing the library sync to exit, you could always give the beta version of the add-on a try, in case your issue happens to already be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

I was just pointing out about Plex on raspberry pi, what I am trying to point out is myself and probably others would go to premiere which would be more money for emby if you had a fully fledged (or at least close to) theatre app on one of these devices.

I do understand the way Plex/emby work and am not here to start an arguement.

What issue exactly are you having with the current app/player?

As I've already stated, they use VLC as the internal player

Actually, the TV app has two fully integrated player libraries and a final fallback of the native player on the device. So, depending on the content, any one of three playback engines could be used.

We do strongly favor the vlc library though because it has the widest support and, in most cases, simply works the best.

MSattler

So the Archos player is working really well for me so far.  Obviously Resume, and Current status in the dashboard doesn't work.  But TrueHD works without any issues.  

While we don't have resume points for stuffed played by archos inside of Emby, on the shield it does show the paused pieces in the recommendation tile.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Yes I am also liking archos for videos in the Emby library. Which leads to a request which hopefully makes logical sense.

For live tv external services recorded tv should be treated the same as live tv and not videos in the Emby library. The reason is that in this circumstance the video is not in the Emby library which is why we have so much trouble in the first place and secondly any issues that the user is mitigating on live tv are also likely to be present in recorded tv.

How this translates into reality is there are a number of ways I can fix the audio delay in live and recorded tv but it's impossible to as the "fix" made for recorded tv then affects everything else

MSattler

Yes I am also liking archos for videos in the Emby library. Which leads to a request which hopefully makes logical sense.

For live tv external services recorded tv should be treated the same as live tv and not videos in the Emby library. The reason is that in this circumstance the video is not in the Emby library which is why we have so much trouble in the first place and secondly any issues that the user is mitigating on live tv are also likely to be present in recorded tv.

How this translates into reality is there are a number of ways I can fix the audio delay in live and recorded tv but it's impossible to as the "fix" made for recorded tv then affects everything else

What if you use the native player for LiveTV, and Archos for Emby content?

I am having problems with live TV (via NextPVR) regardless of which player I use. I either get the stream playing for 10 seconds, freezing and restarting or stuttering all the way through. I have tried various combinations of players and direct play but none are watchable. SD channels play fine but HD channels do not. Recorded TV plays perfectly via Argos.

Spaceboy

What if you use the native player for LiveTV, and Archos for Emby content?

its live tv where I have the problem. For some reason passing through audio results in the audio leading the video by 1.9s. It happens with the native player, with vlc and with their own android app. I've reported the issue with the tv server dev.

Tried mx player but I can't pass through audio and get video at the same time. Others reported this and it's hoped the next version may fix that but my guess is it will still have the audio delay.

Tried archos but it has the audio delay. You can fix an audio delay but the fix is only needed for HD tv so that doesn't really work either.

Best solution so far would be to use mx player with no pass through for live and recorded tv and archos for Emby content

Spaceboy

I am having problems with live TV (via NextPVR) regardless of which player I use. I either get the stream playing for 10 seconds, freezing and restarting or stuttering all the way through. I have tried various combinations of players and direct play but none are watchable. SD channels play fine but HD channels do not. Recorded TV plays perfectly via Argos.

think I'm going to give media portal / tv headend a roll at the w/e

Playback with dvblink is perfect apart from this issue, recording extremely solid. I mainly use Kodi for live tv as it handles timeshifting fully.

MSattler

think I'm going to give media portal / tv headend a roll at the w/e

Playback with dvblink is perfect apart from this issue, recording extremely solid. I mainly use Kodi for live tv as it handles timeshifting fully.

Yeah..... I have gone to just Nvidia Shields with my HDHomerun Prime for Live TV.  The Google Channels app has a nice interface.  I use Emby for recording but that really is rare these days.

MSattler

Has anyone found a way to give Archos a resume point, or get a resume point back from Archos?

@@ebr,

When Archos pauses a show, it leaves an entry on the playback suggestions on the front page of the shield.  Since it does that, wouldn't the progress have to be stored somewhere?  I can try looking through the app's file structure.

Has anyone made contact with Archos?

I used to use their media devices and there support is OK, if a little bit slow in responding.

They might like to form a partnership with Emby.

MSattler

Has anyone made contact with Archos?

I used to use their media devices and there support is OK, if a little bit slow in responding.

They might like to form a partnership with Emby.

I for one would be willing to pay say a $10-20 per year fee, if the Archos player was fully integrated with emby.  Emby could split the proceeds with Emby.

@@ebr,

When Archos pauses a show, it leaves an entry on the playback suggestions on the front page of the shield.  Since it does that, wouldn't the progress have to be stored somewhere?  I can try looking through the app's file structure.

I'm sure they store it somewhere but every Android app runs in its own sandbox.  One app cannot read the data of another - unless that app uses the established mechanisms in the OS to interact with other apps.

If someone finds out if/how Archos can both report progress after playback and accept a request to start at a particular position, then I will do my best to incorporate that in our app.

MSattler

I'm sure they store it somewhere but every Android app runs in its own sandbox.  One app cannot read the data of another - unless that app uses the established mechanisms in the OS to interact with other apps.

If someone finds out if/how Archos can both report progress after playback and accept a request to start at a particular position, then I will do my best to incorporate that in our app.

So, it appears that the Archos player writes an XML file to the location of the video it's playing to save the resume point.

File content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Archos MediaCenter metadata -->
<network_database>
<path>The Secret Life of Pets.mkv</path>
<last_position>14200</last_position>
<bookmark_position>0</bookmark_position>
<audio_track>0</audio_track>
<last_time_played>1474370087</last_time_played>
</network_database>

File name:  .The Secret Life of Pets.mkv.0.archos.resume.xml

Note the Period in the beginning of the file name which hides it on a linux system.

-Marcus
  • Like 1

MSattler

So, it appears that the Archos player writes an XML file to the location of the video it's playing to save the resume point.

File content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Archos MediaCenter metadata -->
<network_database>
<path>The Secret Life of Pets.mkv</path>
<last_position>14200</last_position>
<bookmark_position>0</bookmark_position>
<audio_track>0</audio_track>
<last_time_played>1474370087</last_time_played>
</network_database>

File name:  .The Secret Life of Pets.mkv.0.archos.resume.xml

Note the Period in the beginning of the file name which hides it on a linux system.

-Marcus

Given this, could we have an option in the client, to where before playback starts a file with playback status is written, so that Archos will resume?

And after playback completes, it will check for the XML for resume status?

I know it's not perfect but it should work.  I am willing to test it.

• Like 1

Given this, could we have an option in the client, to where before playback starts a file with playback status is written, so that Archos will resume?

And after playback completes, it will check for the XML for resume status?

I know it's not perfect but it should work.  I am willing to test it.

The app would first have to have direct access to that network location which it doesn't yet.

Plus, that would be a fairly intrusive way of operating - overwriting some other application's data file.

I would much rather use standard Android mechanisms.

MSattler

The app would first have to have direct access to that network location which it doesn't yet.

Plus, that would be a fairly intrusive way of operating - overwriting some other application's data file.

I would much rather use standard Android mechanisms.

Well, then I suppose I will just start looking at using Archos and Trakt.  I'm simply not going to use an app that cannot take advantage of TrueHD and DTS-HD.  Your app needs a player that can play these, and a player that can play from a network share <Yes it matters to me, because there is no reason to drive all that network traffic through the Emby server when the player can go directly to the network share.  So it's either Archos for all media playback, or going back to Kodi with the plugin.

I get that you wanna use standard Android mechanisms, but the reality is Emby needs it's own player.  The user base cannot depend on the stock player because it doesn't work to it's full capability.   

Perhaps some of the money Emby is earning needs to go towards a developer who can develop a player... in the same manner as what Kodi has done.

• Like 2