Music Improvements

Luke

Thanks BloodyIron,   I concur with your observations.   Being a  "Madsonic / Dsub" user myself, I like the flexibility and features of that platform.   BUT...the Stability of EMBY can't be beat at the moment.  

I end up utilizing both platforms in different situations.   Looking forward to EMBY getting more and more MUSIC features in the future.

I really would like to see Random Play of Multiple Genre selections.

Okay so I tried a bunch of Music related stuff just now, and here's my thoughts.

First, the specs:

1. v 3.2.1.0
  2. Server Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  3. 8 core, each ~3.5GHZ (VM, but gave it beefy resources so it can ramp up as needed)
  4. 4GB RAM
  5. Core OS is on SSD storage, but media is on HDD/ZFS storage. In this case though the Music is on SSD storage (just coincidence in this case).
  6. Phone, Android 7.1 Cyanogenmod setup. Official Emby app (not web browser in this case) from Google Play store.
  7. Chromecast Audio included in part of testing, on an AC wifi network (plenty of bandwidth for music streaming)
  8. MP3 files, V0 IIRC, each one ~5MB in size
  9. Also tried with a Chromecast Video to see what that experience would be like.

Second, the thoughts:

So, I added a single album, created a new library for it, then tested.

1. It's rather slow to start playing songs, and change songs. When I say slow, I'm saying compared to my experience with subsonic. Considering these files are very small, and I've given Emby plenty of beef, starting/changing of songs should be much faster. This is pretty much the same when using the Chromecast. I tried listening on my phone, and also controlling my Chromecast Audio from my phone, and was generally equally slow. I just now (as writing this) tried it with a Chromecast Video, and some times it seems reasonably fast, so unsure if this is inconsistent or what here.
  2. I miss not beeing able to control the volume from the volume buttons on my phone. I know this isn't specific to Music, but it's really something required for this kind of thing. I think such functionality would also benefit other types of media too.
  3. When I sync an album to my phone, and then go into airplane mode, then relaunch the Emby app, it tells me to configure it to connect to a server. This... isn't a usable scenario and defeats the point of offline sync. Music I would say is probably the area that would best benefit from addressing content offline. This behaviour was actually very surprising to me as I now don't understand how any offline sync can work at all.
  4. It would be nice if we could turn on a setting so that when we play songs/albums they naturally get synced to our phone, instead of having to check off which we want synced, then tell the app to actually process the sync. A passive mechanism (even if it's turned off by default), would add a lot of convenience.
  5. When I connect my phone to any Chromecast, I lose the ability to control the playlist. It stops displaying any playlist, and I can't seem to find a way to see what's coming up next, etc. Naturally this is something that would be desirable to have.
  6. When I do have the playlist, manipulating it seems pretty good. Dragging things around. I only briefly tested this, seemed to be good so far.
  7. I was playing the album on my phone, this is the first time, then while it was playing I told it to connect to my Chromecast Audio. The song continued to play after it was connected, but my phone app didn't actually fully establish a connection to the Chromecast Audio. Naturally I lost control over what was playing. To get controls back I had to connect my Emby app again to the same Chromecast Audio, and the music seemed to not be interrupted, but I got my controls back. Curious inconsistency in connection establishment or something.
  8. When I used the Chromecast Video, I saw the album cover in the bottom left, but a solid colour in the middle. I think it would be super rad if we had some sort of graphical stuff going on in the main screen. This could go all kinds of ways. This could be like, pictures from albums on Emby, or pictures for the band, or graphical visualisations like milkdrop, or all kinds of cool stuff. I think the more options we can add here, the merrier, but I think this area in particular is lacking.
  9. I put only one album, with 6 songs in it. Considering how small it is, the scan of the library took way longer than I think it should. Perhaps there's some area for improvement in this regard? I did set the library to Music type and told it to pre-download meta stuff (not kept in folder).

All in all, I love where this is headed. There's some clear improvements, but right now this isn't enough for me to want to use it as my daily driver. I'd love to keep working with you lovely peeps to make this ab-fab, so hope this does help. :)

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Random play is tasty too. Subsonic has a nice "radio" function where it just slaps a bunch of genre-related music together in an instant playlist. Generally seems to work well, that kind of thing would be nice too :)

BloodyIron

Show's what I know! Clearly still a noob here ;D

Thanks for letting me know :)

We have that with instant mix. You can start an instant mix based on a genre already.

PrincessClevage

Curious when we might see the music playlist and other improvements in ET desktop? IOS app has three dots next to the song that opens options one of them being add to playlist or create play list but I don't see this function in ET desktop or am i just overlooking something?

Curious when we might see the music playlist and other improvements in ET desktop? IOS app has three dots next to the song that opens options one of them being add to playlist or create play list but I don't see this function in ET desktop or am i just overlooking something?

You should be getting that already when ET is set to desktop or mobile display mode. You will not see that in TV mode because there is no way to click a dot menu on a poster using a remote control. Enjoy.

We have that with instant mix. You can start an instant mix based on a genre already.

I like and use that feature.   BUT,  you can't select MULTIPLE genres and create an instant mix.  ie.   Select "Jazz"  and "Latin Jazz" and "Funk"  then create instant mix from the multiple selections.

Unless i'm missing something.

PrincessClevage

You should be getting that already when ET is set to desktop or mobile display mode. You will not see that in TV mode because there is no way to click a dot menu on a poster using a remote control. Enjoy.

is there a path to enable this function with tv remote coming or a current method? Edited by PrincessClevage

yea ideally i think you would hit OK on the song and then get the same context menu as the 3-dot menu.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
BloodyIron

Also, is this going to be particularly helpful for things like FLAC? I haven't really gotten to the point of such high quality speaker setups myself just yet.

The next release of Emby Theater will feature the ability to upmix music to all speakers. If you'd like to try this out now, you can do so here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Enjoy.

All music files. Try it and report your experience !

BloodyIron

I don't really use Windows though, was more curious :S

All music files. Try it and report your experience !

Jack Burton

I've been looking at emby as an all in one for all my media lately, and playing around with the music section to see about a spotify replacement (tall order). Just some thoughts since I've been using the music feature for a little while now:

Pros

- Love the download option, helps to keep data usage down when on the go

- Organization is great, and easy to import music (using MusicBrainz Picard helps a ton)

- Any issues so far are really minor. Things are working well, not sure how much more really needs to be done.

Cons, a few things I think could use some work

- Is there a way to organize albums by date instead of title so the album list can go from newest to oldest?

- Can artist/album info/bio be added in Theatre?

- Visuals. The web app isn't bad but I think Theatre is lacking a bit (artists section). Maybe bigger pics?

- The only real gripe I have is the queue. It's lacking in Theatre for one thing, but I'm not a fan of the queue in the web app either. The wife and I sometimes go turn for turn picking songs and adding to a queue is great for this. In spotify, one of us would play a song, next would add a song to the queue and so on. Currently, when you play a song the queue fills up with the rest of the album, and adding to queue puts the song at the bottom. Can the rest of the album be omitted from the queue entirely, or is that how the play next song works? 

Anyway, overall things look great, thanx for all the hard work!

• 1 month later...
BloodyIron

So since it's been a fair bit of time, I'd like to know what the plans are for music improvements in future Emby versions? I'm not sure of the roadmap.

I'm particularly interested in volume buttons on mobile devices being supported, as well as better queue stuff for music. Either way, I'd like to know what's on the radar for development, and priority or something. What's the plans devs? :)

So since it's been a fair bit of time, I'd like to know what the plans are for music improvements in future Emby versions? I'm not sure of the roadmap.

I'm particularly interested in volume buttons on mobile devices being supported, as well as better queue stuff for music. Either way, I'd like to know what's on the radar for development, and priority or something. What's the plans devs? :)

Volume buttons should already be working. If they are not, please create a topic in the community in the appropriate section for the app that you are using.

Additionally, please create separate topics for your individual suggestions. While we do read every thread, it is easier for your fellow community members to comment on your suggestions if they get their own topic. Thanks !

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Sure thing dude!

Also, I'll change my strategy for suggestions, what you propose is the opposite of what other communities like, but I'm just fine with either way ;P So I'll do what you say instead! :D

Thanks for your response, and I'll start the relevant thread for the volume (after double-checking that it is not working lol).

Volume buttons should already be working. If they are not, please create a topic in the community in the appropriate section for the app that you are using.

Additionally, please create separate topics for your individual suggestions. While we do read every thread, it is easier for your fellow community members to comment on your suggestions if they get their own topic. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Gittalonglildoggies

Hi,

I really like the Artist and Album info as presented in the Web interface. How likely is it we might see this in Emby Theater?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi, welcome. They should be pretty similar at this point. What exactly are you referring to that is different? Thanks !

Gittalonglildoggies

Hi Luke,

Thanks, I'm referring to the artist bio and album description.

I tried inserting screen shots but for some reason the jpgs aren't being saved to my post.

Thanks,

Ken

Edited by Gittalonglildoggies