Music Improvements

Luke

BloodyIron

A while back I proposed we get volume button control support on phones/mobile when using Emby -> Chromecast. I haven't seen it in patch notes since then, and I was wondering if we could get a status update on that?

It's pretty awkward right now to adjust the volume without the button support, so if we could get this small feature added, I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Either way, I'd love to hear what the plan is for such things. I know you folks need to juggle a bunch of priorities.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Emby Theater now has sorting, filtering, and view settings on just about every screen. You can now enjoy:

• Sort order remembered
  • Filters remembered
  • Choose between poster view and list view
  • In poster view you can choose the image you want to use (primary, thumb, etc)
  • You can even hide the title underneath posters if you want

Enjoy.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
ginjaninja

Just started using playlists in Emby.

some ideas

users may expect to create a new playlist from the playlists page in the music library

ive had need to wipe the contents of a playlist and make sweeping changes to a playlist, and 'select all / multiple section then action' would seem  useful. (rather than having to do all actions one object at a time)

it would be useful to have a warning if adding a music track which is already in the playlist.

the ability to export the playlist as a .m3u would be helpful, to share playlists between apps.

this ones probably too niche..im looking for a solution as we speak outside emby..... but, if emby added a function to import a playlist (rather than just reading a playlist from the library)

Maybe if emby cant find the media in the location designated by the m3u, it can find the closest match in the database and update the path to the media as emby imports the playlist.

(finding the closest match for an artist/title pair in the database, might be a reusable function, if emby ever implemented the logic to display/provide links to an artist's most popular tracks from lastfm - ive seen a feature request for this previously...ability to prefer studio albums of an artist in the database schema/mbz lookup would help here too)

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:195,Does Your Mother Know - ABBA
D:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\ABBA\ABBA Gold\15 Does Your Mother Know.mp3
#EXTINF:228,Take On Me - a-ha
D:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\a-ha\Headlines And Deadlines_ The Hits of a-h\01 Take On Me.mp3
#EXTINF:298,Sexy Boy - Air
D:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Air\Moon Safari\02 Sexy Boy.mp3
#EXTINF:289,Let's Stay Together - Al Green
D:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Al Green\Al Green_ Greatest Hits\06 Let's Stay Together.mp3

when on playlist view eg in webclient it would help in many instances, if the play controls remained on screen as you explored the playlist. i guess in some circumstances on smaller screens other factors may take priority (eg moving content position)

sometimes a list view would be helpful which shows the album name against tracks  as well when looking at an existing playlist...especially for album series eg triple j like a version, the album is not obvious from the (small) album image.

Edited by ginjaninja

BloodyIron

With all the Music features I'd like to see in Emby, not sure which ones are outstanding right now.

Primarily I really want to see transparent caching of music while playing it on mobile. Instead of "Sync"ing it before-hand, then playing it.

I also really should test gapless playback, I'm not sure if that's a thing in Emby, but I love it when it's there :D

BloodyIron

So I just did some gapless playback testing, with the Green Day album Dookie.

At the end of the song Chump, the drums are meant to gapless transition to the drums in the next song, Longview, and in both my testing, it was not truly gapless.

1. Chromecast to Chromecast Video (haven't tested for Chromecast Audio).

In this case, when Chump ends, the next song immediately starts trying to load as a new session, instead of already caching the content. This leads to a 1-2s pause before the music resumes, completely breaking the musical transition.

2. Playing Emby on my Android phone.

In this case, the transition is almost perfect, but I observe a very short gap in the realm of say 200ms-400ms, and this again breaks the gapless experience. Not as bad as Chromecast, but still not what I would classify as "gapless".

I would love to see Gapless in Emby in all regards, as it really makes Music Albums just that much better. And there's many that take advantage of it.

Normally I'd upload server logs, but I don't think they are helpful/relevant here.

ginjaninja

when scrolling through the tracks of an [eg large, multi disk] album, it perhaps would be a help if greater priority were placed on trying to keep the core album information visible throughout.ie.album name, album artist(s)

ginjaninja

With all the Music features I'd like to see in Emby, not sure which ones are outstanding right now.

Primarily I really want to see transparent caching of music while playing it on mobile. Instead of "Sync"ing it before-hand, then playing it.

I also really should test gapless playback, I'm not sure if that's a thing in Emby, but I love it when it's there :D

my dark side of the moon does not flow seamlessly between tracks, its as if 10ms is repeated creating a 'ugly join', i wonder if gapless is working for anyone?

in fairness to emby gapless playback seems to be difficult for fat windows clients to do well, (so expecting a webclient to do it is perhaps a stretch) the only windows client that plays my dark side of the moon properly so far is music bee and foobar, (vlc wmp, mpc-hc, groove to a lesser extent all fail)

Edited by ginjaninja

arrbee99

Don't know if its new, but like that graphic equaliser thing that shows where you are in a playlist.

arrbee99

Although I refreshed the Playlist in Chrome and it did this, which I presume is incorrect. It also stopped playing the Playlist.

5d2d04efb7a1e_EmbyMusicPlaylistrefreshpa

arrbee99

Also, that graphic equaliser doesn't show up if you click on Play All on a Playlist, you have to go away from that page, to Home or something, then go back and it shows up.

Same for a background image on the Playlist - nothing when you start, go away and come back and background image appears.

arrbee99

Also, after a while when I just press Stop (the square) on a Playlist, it just goes to this (in Chrome)

5d2d25d53c9e0_EmbyMusicPlayliststoppage.

and if I refresh, it goes to the one shown in post 162.

arrbee99

Also also, it would be nice (I think, would it ?) if the top bit (the album cover and controls) could be fixed so its always in view and only the bottom half (the actual playlist) scrolls...

Or possibly, swap the top and bottom bits round, so the fixed album art / controls are at the bottom and the scrolling playlist is at the top. Maybe...

Edit: And ideally the playlist should scroll up automatically so the currently playing item is always visible.

5d2d2c5f5b2d4_EmbyMusicPlaylistfixcontro

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

BloodyIron

Gapless playback is plenty feasible by simply buffering ahead. If you want an example of it, go check out dsub on Android. I use that for gapless, but I want to switch my whole album collection to Emby from Subsonic, but some features that I use all the time are missing (better cache handling, gapless playback, etc).

mixdkins

Just a few requests pointed towards "downloaded" and offline content.

• Please please please fix the issue with shuffle... When you are on downloaded content with no cell data or wifi connection, when you press shuffle once, it works, if you want a different version of "shuffle" - aka pressing the button again, it closes the app down - a pain while driving!

• Ability to create playlists with downloaded content - seems simple - when I am driving, I'd like to listen to Eminem, at work, cannot listen to Eminem, so would be nice to easily select a playlist that accounts for that.

• Mimic same sort options with downloaded content as when connected to server (aka, sort by artist, album, genre etc)

Have started to use Emby exclusively for my music on my phone (bye bye itunes) for the past few months, and I like it much better, but still needs some TLC!

Thanks for considering!

mIxDKiNs

• Like 1

ginjaninja

IIRC when i removed some media from my library temporarily, the tracks were removed from the playlist,

i wonder whether the tracks in the playlist should simply be marked missing, so the user can remove....

have not tested and theres probably protection against this eventually,  but it would be disastrous to loose a finely curated playlist because a media drive went offline

• Like 1

chacawaca

Also also, it would be nice (I think, would it ?) if the top bit (the album cover and controls) could be fixed so its always in view and only the bottom half (the actual playlist) scrolls...

Or possibly, swap the top and bottom bits round, so the fixed album art / controls are at the bottom and the scrolling playlist is at the top. Maybe...

Edit: And ideally the playlist should scroll up automatically so the currently playing item is always visible.

5d2d2c5f5b2d4_EmbyMusicPlaylistfixcontro

+1

arrbee99

oops. Just noticed that screenshot I added is from Chrome and this is a Theater thread. Oh well...

ginjaninja

oops. Just noticed that screenshot I added is from Chrome and this is a Theater thread. Oh well...

think the thread has morphed into ideas for general improvements for music in emby, at least thats the way im treating it.

PowderedToast

My feature request re ET music (and all the other Emby apps) would be a timed API call for lyrics - I've seen this done in Shazam where after it locates the song via the fingerprint, you can swipe across and see the lyrics displayed in time with the song. Would make a great point of difference re PLEX. Would just need the musicbrains fingerprint ID and song position and a free API provider - but hey, I'm no dev, just putting it out there.

BloodyIron

I actually didn't realise this was a Theatre forum section, whoops! This kind of just turned into general discussion.

@@Luke any word on milestones/targets for the (many) feature requests in here? :) Some of them have been requested a good while ago.

I actually didn't realise this was a Theatre forum section, whoops! This kind of just turned into general discussion.

@@Luke any word on milestones/targets for the (many) feature requests in here? :) Some of them have been requested a good while ago.

This is unfortunately very difficult to follow due to the number of things requested here.

Can you instead please pick your favorite one, and then open a separate feature request topic for that? Then we can assess demand for it on an individual level and see the community feedback for that one particular thing. Thanks !