Music Improvements

Luke

Two things I like with the Amazon Prime music app that may be worth consideration

1) Lyrics being displayed as the song plays

2) Thumbs up/down quick buttons to promote or reject tracks from random/shuffle play.

I expect the first would require a decent amount of develop to include (source or lyrics, where they are stored - in source media / in database, how they are processed/displayed); but I would have thought the second one would be fairly straight forward, just another field in the user database.

It doesn't seem like there are many viable sources for music lyrics.

Tremas

It doesn't seem like there are many viable sources for music lyrics.

I agree that there are note many viable sources for lyrics. However, I believe many of us who manage our own music collection already have lyrics embedded in the metadata. A possible feature would be to display lyrics if present in the file. Mediamonkey does this for example. It can't sync the lyrics in time with the music the way Amazon does, but it's available in the display.

Keeping with Emby's focus on managing the user's own media collections, it would be great to expose more of the data already available in most music files. Lyrics, filtering by decade, support for "original date" vs. "date" (so compilation albums and remasters show up in the correct decade),BPM, etc.

I agree that there are note many viable sources for lyrics. However, I believe many of us who manage our own music collection already have lyrics embedded in the metadata.

Can you provide some sample files for testing? thanks.

BloodyIron

As someone who is particular about my music/media collection, I make no effort to retain lyrics at the file level. While I see that is something someone could/would do, and would be tasty to interact with, I for one would also like (should I choose to use it) the ability to pull lyrics from the internet and tie it into the metadata for said song/album, etc.

• 2 months later...
BloodyIron

Any word on the sync improvements? There's really only a few more features centric to Music that is preventing me from moving all my Music from Subsonic to Emby. Namely, when I start playing songs/album/playlist I want automatic sync/download of that content to my device (eg. phone) so the Music will continue to play even if the internet/network connectivity is intermittent (like, say while I'm driving).

The way sync works today is more suited for video media, but it's not really "good enough" (IMO) for Music or other audio types.

Can we get this aspect addressed please?

Automatic sync is something we're very interested in for upcoming updates. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Automatic sync is something we're very interested in for upcoming updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Am I to take this as "it's on the roadmap" kind of deal? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Theater now has the virtual scrolling feature for vertical lists:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/82293-44012-virtual-scrolling/

That means the lists will no longer load your entire library contents all at once and will instead only load what you see at once. This will help make the entire app more responsive and improve navigation performance.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
BloodyIron

Yay more Music centric improvements! I hope that the automatic sync and sync-ahead stuff comes out soon, so I can start using Emby while driving around for music (intermittent internet). :D

• 1 year later...
icegoddess222

Hi I have some suggestions and bugs Ive noticed!

Bugs

• The Now Playing UI seems to momentarily bug out on every track after track 13 when changing songs and greys out all the album art and the text disappears
  • The Close, Minimize, Maximize buttons are centered instead of being in the corner
  • The Lyrics button doesn't seem to work for me (I have songs with <LYRICS> and <UNSYNCED LYRICS> tags on them), and also causes the little dancing 'now playing' music spectrum to play even when paused

Changes

• Being able to change the default screen when entering the music library (defaults to Artist, would like to be able to default it to Playlists) or being able to reorganize/remove the tabs
  • I personally like the Emby Web layout a lot more than the Emby Theater layout and would prefer to be able to have that as an option in Theater (Web layout also allows you to jump to artist/album without having to use a context menu as well)
  • Being able to shuffle from the Now Playing screen
  • A way to generate art for Artists that don't have artist art on Musicbrainz from album art
  • The screen saver Now Playing page is a bit small and would look better larger IMO
  • Its a bit odd that the playback controls move when going from track one to track two (from this to this) because the rewind buttons gets added, could either grey it out or cause the button to send the playlist to the last track

Thanks a ton for all the hard work!

Edited by icegoddess222

• Being able to change the default screen when entering the music library (defaults to Artist, would like to be able to default it to Playlists) or being able to reorganize/remove the tabs

Have you explored your emby user home screen settings?

• I personally like the Emby Web layout a lot more than the Emby Theater layout and would prefer to be able to have that as an option in Theater (Web layout also allows you to jump to artist/album without having to use a context menu as well)

Are you primarily using a mouse? If so then you probably want to switch the app to desktop display mode, and then you'll get that layout.

• 10 months later...
them8os235

Hope it's okay to revive this thread.  Please split to a new topic if not.

I have as question about music resampling in Emby Theater.  When playing music in the browser Web app, the "statistics for nerds" shows that the playback is "Direct Play" and in the native sample and bitrate.  My Redbook CD rips I made stays at 44.1K, all music I ripped from my DVD-Audio disks or bought from HDTracks stay as whatever they are.  But when I play the same in Emby Theater on Windows, the "stats for nerds" shows that the source is "Direct Play" with the native sample and bit rate (as does the Server > Device > Now Playing panel) but lower down the  "Audio Sample Rate" is 48000.  

So, asking about this in this "music improvements" thread, hoping the playback in Theater can be native too and not resampled.  Luke or to any of the leadership, can you shed some light on this?  I ask as I plan to setup a friend on Emby (premier of course) to be his music [only] client/server playback solution, over the Volumio I set him up with which is having too many problems, with playback devices as Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi 4 SBCs, as turn-key passive playback devices that will be remote controlled via an iOS or Android mobile app.  So using the browser based webapp isn't possible in this use case.  Hope that the audio streamed to the end-points can remain native and passed-on that way to the DAC HATs.  Thanx for any info about this.

them8os235
57 minutes ago, them8os235 said:

Hope it's okay to revive this thread.  Please split to a new topic if not.

I have as question about music resampling in Emby Theater. snip...

As I'm a new poster on this forum I can't edit that post.  So following up. I investigated further and now realize that this behavior is most likely due to the MS Surface 9 Pro's Windows 11 (all new to me) using a static System > Sound > Properties > Output Setting of 32-bit 48KHz.  Change that and the Emby Theater stats reflects the change.  I'm used to all my Windows devices outputting a native sample rate.  

5 hours ago, them8os235 said:

As I'm a new poster on this forum I can't edit that post.  So following up. I investigated further and now realize that this behavior is most likely due to the MS Surface 9 Pro's Windows 11 (all new to me) using a static System > Sound > Properties > Output Setting of 32-bit 48KHz.  Change that and the Emby Theater stats reflects the change.  I'm used to all my Windows devices outputting a native sample rate.  

HI, thanks for following up !