Linux Setup

Luke

Q-Droid
2 hours ago, leifrodhared said:

Yes, unfortunately there is no control over on/off for http socket

If you leave the port blank it wont have it.

In apache conf or whatever Emby uses as web server there is a simple # out the line to disable listening on HTTP.

For security reasons, HTTP should only be really used to redirect to https interfaces or be shut altogether.

For now I can see that my HTTPS socket does not start at all so Emby can only be accessed via HTTP port. 

No option to disable HTTP. If you disable that you would not be able to access the server on LAN. If you don't want HTTP on WAN then don't forward the HTTP port on the router and only forward HTTPS.

The server won't bind on HTTPS port until a valid cert is installed.

• Thanks 1

leifrodhared
5 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

No option to disable HTTP. If you disable that you would not be able to access the server on LAN. If you don't want HTTP on WAN then don't forward the HTTP port on the router and only forward HTTPS.

The server won't bind on HTTPS port until a valid cert is installed.

The inability to turn off HTTP in favour of HTTPS only is a big problem.

Leaving exposed insecure services as a default option just begs for abuse , especially on WAN side.

So there is no self signed cert to get things going from setup with HTTPS? Why? Most self hosted apps provide at least a basic self signed cert for the appliance. 

Shouldn't you provide a certifficate like Synology for instance since it's a paid product and since you have your own connection natting mechanism ?

Do you provide a valid cert for paid versions?

Otherwise all instances of Emby which are WAN exposed are inherently insecure as all users are sending their credentials accross the web in plaintext ?

Please clarify.

5 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Q-Droid

For LAN connections - you can't disable HTTP or you wouldn't be able to connect to the server. So that's not even an option.

For WAN connections - Emby does have the option to enforce secure remote connections but only when a cert is installed. The only way to even reach an Emby server remotely is to allow the access on the network via port forwarding on your router. You don't have to allow HTTP remotely on your network.

Emby only binds to IP/ports on your server, the rest of your network is up to you to manage.

Emby does not offer domain or proxy services. It does not become a MITM like Synology and Plex.

A self-signed cert has no CA trust anchor so I'm guessing you mean a cert tied to a vendor's service domain, which Emby doesn't offer. There are many free DDNS and free TLS/SSL cert options available for you to choose from.

One of the main selling points for Emby is that it does not get in between you and access to your server and users. Your server, your media, your users, your choice.

leifrodhared
1 hour ago, Q-Droid said:

For LAN connections - you can't disable HTTP or you wouldn't be able to connect to the server. So that's not even an option.

For WAN connections - Emby does have the option to enforce secure remote connections but only when a cert is installed. The only way to even reach an Emby server remotely is to allow the access on the network via port forwarding on your router. You don't have to allow HTTP remotely on your network.

Emby only binds to IP/ports on your server, the rest of your network is up to you to manage.

Emby does not offer domain or proxy services. It does not become a MITM like Synology and Plex.

A self-signed cert has no CA trust anchor so I'm guessing you mean a cert tied to a vendor's service domain, which Emby doesn't offer. There are many free DDNS and free TLS/SSL cert options available for you to choose from.

One of the main selling points for Emby is that it does not get in between you and access to your server and users. Your server, your media, your users, your choice.

Ok, so can you explain the app mechanism where it asks for your Emby ID to connect to the server? 

How does that work? You have a DDNS service?

Q-Droid

Do you mean Emby Connect? It's entirely optional and I don't use it myself.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - Connect is meant to simplify access by associating registered users with registered servers. It sends users to the right servers without them having to remember server names or addresses, which can change. For Connect to work my previous post still applies. Remote access has to be enabled and configured and a valid cert is still required for HTTPS access. Connect does not add access or security.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
maxiu
On 5/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, leifrodhared said:

The inability to turn off HTTP in favour of HTTPS only is a big problem.

Leaving exposed insecure services as a default option just begs for abuse , especially on WAN side.

So there is no self signed cert to get things going from setup with HTTPS? Why? Most self hosted apps provide at least a basic self signed cert for the appliance. 

Shouldn't you provide a certifficate like Synology for instance since it's a paid product and since you have your own connection natting mechanism ?

Do you provide a valid cert for paid versions?

Otherwise all instances of Emby which are WAN exposed are inherently insecure as all users are sending their credentials accross the web in plaintext ?

Please clarify.

You should look into reverse proxy for your machine, some come preconfigured to generate free trusted SSL certs (like traefik) and some can do it with minimal configuration (like nginx). There is really no reason to expose Emby to WAN directly.

Edited by maxiu

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hstorey219 said:

Hi Luke,

Just checking on snap store for Emby? 

We have the packages built already but snap doesn't work well with the .NET core runtime as it blocks certain things from working. We had a back and forth dialog with snap about it but they kind of stopped responding to us about it and eventually I stopped bugging them. The packages only work when built in developer mode. When built using their strict mode, they're blocking the net core runtime from being able to load.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
KnightNZ

Is there a recommended process for updating the Emby Theatre flatpak? Do I just download the current version, copy it to the remote filesystem and tell flatpak to update using the .flatpak file?

Thanks!

On 1/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, KnightNZ said:

Is there a recommended process for updating the Emby Theatre flatpak? Do I just download the current version, copy it to the remote filesystem and tell flatpak to update using the .flatpak file?

Thanks!

Hi @KnightNZ yes you basically just install again right over the top. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
bogdansrb

I run a linux emby server with the library on the same machine. The library is also a samba share. I would like both emby and samba to have write permissions for that library, so I can delete files directly from emby and have write access from the network with the samba user. Is that possible?

Q-Droid
5 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

I run a linux emby server with the library on the same machine. The library is also a samba share. I would like both emby and samba to have write permissions for that library, so I can delete files directly from emby and have write access from the network with the samba user. Is that possible?

This should help you get there.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001962818-linux-unix-permissions

bogdansrb

So I tried that but I still get the error. This is my folder:

drwxrwxr-x+ 20 bogdan media 4096 May  2 20:39 Music

I have checked "allow media deletion" in emby settings. 

Q-Droid

Show the output from:

getfacl Music

Also show the same for a sample media file in the library.

• 1 year later...
On 06/01/2014 at 19:57, Luke said:

Setup

See http://emby.media/download

Command line arguments (optional)

-ffmpeg "path" supply a custom path to ffmpeg

-ffprobe "path" supply a custom path to ffprobe

-programdata "path" supply a custom program data path

that link is far from enough to install this. Dependencies this, folder that, I am going crazy. Where is the real step by step?

2 minutes ago, Linuxxx said:

that link is far from enough to install this. Dependencies this, folder that, I am going crazy. Where is the real step by step?

HI, what have you done so far? Where have you gotten stuck?

dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'emby-server-deb_4.8.0.57_amd64.deb': No such file or directory

My brain is fried, I've been on this for about 2 weeks on and off. I use chatGPT to help me. The package is in "downloads" but it always says that it's not. (not to mention I was trying the wrong package for days now... I have an old Intel quad core. I got Plex setup almost instantly. But this and networking with my other win11 PC has been quiet a buzz kill. For some reason I had it installed, but could never get to the folder I wanted to share. I had it installed  (dumb luck ) but I tried to reset my password and it won'T send me the link to my email. So I uninstalled it. and tried Jelly ( same thing, can'T get anything to work)

25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Seems I have it installed. Seems I am back to where I gave up last week. I stopped my proton VPN but still can't create the server

34 minutes ago, Luke said:

To update Emby to the latest version on a Linux system, follow these steps:

Method 1: Using Package Manager (If Installed via Package Repository)

Update Package Repositories: Open a terminal and update your package repositories to fetch the latest available packages.

bashCopy code

sudo apt-get update

Upgrade Emby: Upgrade Emby and all its dependencies to the latest version.

bashCopy code

sudo apt-get upgrade

This command will update all installed packages on your system, including Emby, to their latest versions.

- This hasn't updated anything

Now it's installed (I removed Jellyfin, I guess it was creating problems as neither worked) but I can't connect to a server. No matter what IP i put there is doesn't connect

Connected, can't reach the folders from my drives to add to the library

Nightmare to restart emby, I get it going I don't know how and then if I close I can'T access it again

6 hours ago, Linuxxx said:

Connected, can't reach the folders from my drives to add to the library

Hi, why can't you? What exactly happens when you try?

On 11/5/2023 at 1:32 AM, Linuxxx said:

To update Emby to the latest version on a Linux system, follow these steps:

Method 1: Using Package Manager (If Installed via Package Repository)

Update Package Repositories: Open a terminal and update your package repositories to fetch the latest available packages.

bashCopy code

sudo apt-get update

Upgrade Emby: Upgrade Emby and all its dependencies to the latest version.

bashCopy code

sudo apt-get upgrade

This command will update all installed packages on your system, including Emby, to their latest versions.

- This hasn't updated anything

Hi, none of these will update or install Emby. The only support install method is what is listed on our website:

https://emby.media/linux-server.html

To update, you simply install the latest again on top of your existing installation.

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, why can't you? What exactly happens when you try?

I think I have it installed. I was trying to navigate to the folder in the library settings. Now this won't connect since yesterdayimage.thumb.png.ec0103a9fda4e16e4f78963dffb6ce6b.png