Windows 8.1 Server Multi-User & Services Setup Questions

dustinfike

dustinfike

I just finished building my server and getting storage pools setup, etc...  Now I would like to get Emby setup the way I want and I am not sure the best way to go about it.  First, a little about my setup and desired use case:

My server is also going to serve as my main HTPC connected to the TV in my living room.  I will be running emby server and emby classic on WMC.  I will have movies, ripped TV discs (no live TV or DVR), photos, and games (for now only emulators, but potentially windows/steam games later).  The server is going to run 24/7 serving up my emby server within the house as well as remotely to some family members or myself while on the road.  It also serves up my data files for photography work, lightroom photo library organization, web design work, documents, etc...  My wife and daughter will also be controlling the HTPC front end of the computer to watch movies and such.  So, to that end, I would like the front end that they deal with to be run under a windows user without admin rights so that they are less likely to screw something up.  I would also like to have the computer start up directly into the emby interface if possible so that my daughter doesn't have to find it if she wants to watch a movie after the computer has restarted.

So, my question is, how should I go about installing emby server and emby classic?  Say I have two windows user accounts: ADMIN with admin rights, and VIEWER without admin rights.  VIEWER will be used to interact with emby classic and watch movies, play games, etc...  ADMIN will be used to remote desktop into the server as needed to make adjustments, etc...  (I have already made the adjustments to allow concurrent remote desktop sessions.)  Should I install the server under the ADMIN user or the VIEWER user?  And then, which should I install emby classic under?  And, should I run emby server as a service or as a program?  (What are the pros/cons to running emby server as a service vs as a program?)

Second, how can I make the computer boot up and automatically start up into the emby classic interface?

Thanks for the help.

The server will install into the Admin account anyway so you may as well just install it there.  EMC doesn't matter - you can install into either.

The trick will be getting the server running at start up with the multiple Windows users.  You'll probably want to configure it to run as a service and to start with the machine (delayed start).

dustinfike

Would it make a difference if I gave the VIEWER account admin rights, installed emby server, then revoked the admin rights? Would that make it easier to start it when the computer boots up?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Would it make a difference if I gave the VIEWER account admin rights, installed emby server, then revoked the admin rights? Would that make it easier to start it when the computer boots up?

Yes. 

dustinfike

Ok.  I'll probably go that route then.  Thanks for the help.

Just so i understand the difference, what are the benefits/drawbacks of running emby server as a service vs as a program?

Benefit is not having to have a user logged into the machine for it to run.

Drawbacks are that it cannot auto update and the setup is more difficult.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi,

not sure but if you use Netplwiz (put it in run or search) to autologon "Viewer" account. Per ebr the server could installed be under admin.  

@@ebr isn't there a way to launch WMC right into Classic. Put a shortcut

to Media Center in the startup folder which is now located at:  "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

Properties

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe  (add whatever EBR says :) )

Edited by Vicpa
  • Like 1

Just drag the shortcut that is created on the desktop to your startup folder.

• Like 1

dustinfike

Ok. Great.  Sounds like I can make what I want happen by doing the following:

1 - Give VIEWER account admin rights and install emby server & classic (server setup to run as program on login)

2 - Remove admin rights from VIEWER account

3 - Set up auto login for VIEWER account

4 - Drag emby classic shortcut from desktop into VIEWER account startup folder

A couple questions:

1 - If i remove admin rights from VIEWER after install, will that cause issues with auto updates to server?

2 - Assuming server and classic are installed under VIEWER account, if I remote in from outside my network using ADMIN account, will I be able to modify emby server settings, edit library metadata, etc... or will I need to be logged in as VIEWER account to do so?

3 - Would I be able to modify emby server settings, edit library metadata, etc... from another computer on the local network without having to remote in to the server?

1 - No, updates should work fine.

2/3 - You don't need to remote in.  Just use the web interface.