MBS setup with MBC, codecs required?

CtrlAlt7
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

CtrlAlt7

I am just after some clarification around setting up MBS.

I have MBS installed on a PC that has all my media on it.

I then have another PC in my living room with MBC installed on it.

Do I need to install codecs either on the MBS PC or MBC PC to be able to play all file types including .mkv files and also have external subtitles working?

I have read about transcoding and not sure how it all works and if I need to configure anything to get it all going.

CtrlAlt7

So to confirm I need to install codecs on the PC with MBC on it in order to play all file types?

As I just read this article about transcoding, it mentions that "Media Browser has the ability to convert your media during playback in order to make it compatible with all of your devices."

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

Which now confuses me even more  :huh:

CtrlAlt7

ok I have tried all of below and get the same results, I can play .mkv files and files with external subtitles but am unable to fast forward or rewind, just play/pause works.

Installed codecs (as per article and tried Shark007 codecs) on MBC pc

Installed codecs on (as per article and tried Shark007 codecs) on MBS pc

Installed codecs on both PCs (as per article and tried Shark007 codecs)

No codecs installed on MBC

No codecs installed on MBS

So it looks like transcoding is working but only up to a point with MBC. I also set transcoding to MAX in the settings still same result.

Any help or suggestions?

Edited by CtrlAlt7

swhitmore

You shouldn't need to transcode if your machine running MBC can direct play. Are you able to skip forward and back? I believe in WMC there is no FF or RW, just skipping.

CtrlAlt7

Sorry by fast forward I meant skip forward/back is not working.

Also if it helps my setup is:

MBS: Windows 7 32 bit

MBC Windows 7 32 bit

I have also installed MBC on another PC, Window's 8.1 64 bit and encounter the same issue.

All on the same home network and all can access MBS pc via windows explorer with no issues.

• Solution
CBers

Are your libraries set up via UNC?

When you start a video in MBC, do you get a message saying that direct play isn't possible?

Do you get an ffmpeg process running on your MBS PC when playing a video?

This is another guide you might want to read: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1096-setting-up-codecs-using-ffdshow/

You don't need any codec packs installing to get all types of video to playback in MBC.

• Like 1

Check what CBers said - that the MBC machine can directly access the files.

As for codecs, you need something on the MBC machine but not on the server.  I recommend just LAV because it is much simpler than all the others and works.

CtrlAlt7

After the advice from CBers I checked my library setup and they were not using UNC paths.

After changing them to UNC paths and installing codecs on the MBC machine, all is working again including subtitles :)

Thank you all especially CBers for all you help.

• Like 2

CtrlAlt7

I will post a guide up shortly in a new topic on how to setup MBC with Shark007 codecs which will hopefully be helpful to other MBC fans.

CtrlAlt7

Yes it does use LAV but also additional codecs and comes with VobSub for subtitle support as well, which is why I use it as its pretty much an all in one and minimal configuration required now days.