Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

chef

Walk among the Tombstones + 1

But, my opinion is biased because I utterly love Liam Nieson.

Hey, did I spell "Neison" right? is it "I" before "E" or the other way around for his name??...

Either way (oh crap the word "either", is another one) he is awesome in that movie.

He always plays the most brilliant "calm in the face of danger" type characters.

There is a couple great shoot-outs in the movie. You almost believe the story could be true, nothing in the movie ever gets out of control in an unbelievable way.

-------

On the other hand, I also watched "Dumb and Dumber To",  it stands up to it's predecessor. I laughed out loud quite a few times. If you liked the first one, you'll like it. But, if you don't like movies which take it to that level then don't waist your time.

Edited by chef

JeremyFr79

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but TUSK, OMG! lol, wow what a movie especially considering it's from Kevin Smith.  My wife and I both really liked it, we're both big KS fans.  At any rate it was similar to Red State (another great movie) in that it's so far removed from KS's normal fare.  It was definitely a unique movie as far as horror goes.  It left you speechless at points and all in all was just a great WEIRD fricking movie.  It does a good job showing that Kevin Smith can do so much more than "dick and fart jokes" to use his own words, and do it well.

• Like 1

Should we start a MediaBrowser TV Club?

We can discuss anything TV related.

Just a thought.

Do it ;)

Swynol

Also love Liam Neeson films, i was expecting Walk among the tombstones to be more like taken but was pleasantly surprised how different it was but still keeping the straight faced, organised and rugged character that Liam Neeson plays.

Walk among the Tombstones + 1

But, my opinion is biased because I utterly love Liam Nieson.

Hey, did I spell "Neison" right? is it "I" before "E" or the other way around for his name??...

Either way (oh crap the word "either", is another one) he is awesome in that movie.

He always plays the most brilliant "calm in the face of danger" type characters.

There is a couple great shoot-outs in the movie. You almost believe the story could be true, nothing in the movie ever gets out of control in an unbelievable way.

-------

On the other hand, I also watched "Dumb and Dumber To",  it stands up to it's predecessor. I laughed out loud quite a few times. If you liked the first one, you'll like it. But, if you don't like movies which take it to that level then don't waist your time.

ScottIsAFool

Just watched John Wick, what a really entertaining film. Never tried to be anything more than what it was, a good old fashioned shoot 'em up.

8/10

• Like 2

Heckler
What if 2014 - Rom Com - 7.5/10 ..better than youd think..

I really enjoyed that one too, one of those indie films that you've not heard about more than a trailer perhaps. No hype for it to live up to... just a good movie with realistic characters, decent acting and good dialogue.  Daniel Radcliffe has certainly gone up in my view after seeing this and Horns.

Heckler

Just watched John Wick, what a really entertaining film. Never tried to be anything more than what it was, a good old fashioned shoot 'em up.

8/10

I gave it a solid 8/10 too, no idea of the origins of the character... comic books/graphic novels aren't something I really read. But a decent film with some unintended comic moments from Keanu... 'You stole my car... you killed my dog'... that whole delivery had me giggling away.

Pure unadulterated fun... no attempt to be anything more than that.

I'd put this alongside the movie 'Shoot em up' for must see movies of this type.

shaefurr

Wife and I just watched The Best of Me

Typical Nicholas Sparks movie, as you can expect its a good romance. Really enjoyed the entire movie. Grab a glass of wine, sit down with your significant other and enjoy. I won't spoil anything but the ending.. wow. James Marsden was really good, which if you didn't know Paul Walker was originally cast before was was killed :(

9/10

swhitmore

I noticed Gone Girl hasn't really been mentioned yet. I thought this was a fantastic film. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike had some really good on screen chemistry, and played off each other perfectly. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do.

• Like 1

I noticed Gone Girl hasn't really been mentioned yet. I thought this was a fantastic film. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike had some really good on screen chemistry, and played off each other perfectly. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do.

Agreed.

she kills "the Doogie" man...

swhitmore

Agreed.

My wife and I actually came up with, what we thought, was a better ending.

I thought it would have been clever if they were both in on it from the beginning, only to be revealed at the end. They ended up quite famous, which would make for a good motive.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

My wife and I actually came up with, what we thought, was a better ending.

I thought it would have been clever if they were both in on it from the beginning, only to be revealed at the end. They ended up quite famous, which would make for a good motive.

I think that is a better end! One last twist amongst all the twists.

Can someone tell me what they thought of Fury.

I just watched it, and I am absolutely torn about weather I liked it or not.

for all the reality the movie portrays about gunners during the Second World War, why is it that Brad Pitts death scene seems to be longer than anyone's else's in the movie. He was shot three times by a high calibre sniper rifle for Christs sake

Edited by chef

shaefurr

I really enjoyed it, though I have to agree with that spoiler there, I know why they did it for drama purposes, but it wasn't needed. They could have easily done something else with the scene.

My main issue with Brad Pits death scene is this, this movie has a ton of gore, yet 2 grenades go off in his face and his body is completely fine looking.. really? Shouldn't he be a torn up mess and not have a face or something?? I found that a little dumb

I've actually watched it about 3 times already, so ya I really like it :P

godbodian

Ummmm I'ma say Gone Girl... and that's it. If you watch it with your wife, you'll NEVER look at her the same.

@@chef, Fury was good but you have to like those against all odds type of movies.

@@shaefurr, grenades in WWII weren't the monsters we know today their "cores" basically had screw top accesses that provided for degradation and alter the blast radius and strength. In addition, until Vietnam a stereotypical grenade when laid upon could thoroughly be muffled or withstood by the body causing lethal damage but basically deafening the blast to only the localized area. After Vietnam, US military stopped the practice of teaching soldiers to sacrifice themselves by quickly laying upon the device.

(also I enjoyed Lucy, Edge of Tomorrow and many of the other "bad" films listed. I don't put too much into them outside of their intended meanings. If I can understand and it basically gets me to the point they intended and it's put together well, I'm not going to over intellectualize it. Like people on the topic of Lucy went nuts about the science of it as if anyone has created the science to begin with. But eh... it is what it is.)

I also recommend Selma and American Sniper although they can be obvious at times. If you liked Spike Lee's "X" you'll like Selma as their styles are similar. American Sniper is very Zero Dark Thirty-ish.

Edited by godbodian

shaefurr

Ah ok, so the movie is correct im just a moron lol. I forgot about the other scene where the same thing happens and it did exactly what you just mentioned.

I really want to watch American Sniper. There seems to be some controversy in the media about that movie.

People are apparently responding to the movie by giving slack about a snipers role in the military.

I personally feel that if it saves lives to fire a high powered rifle at a target from far way, then it is one of the most important jobs there is.

godbodian
chef, on 23 Jan 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:chef, on 23 Jan 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:chef, on 23 Jan 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

I really want to watch American Sniper. There seems to be some controversy in the media about that movie.

People are apparently responding to the movie by giving slack about a snipers role in the military.

I personally feel that if it saves lives to fire a high powered rifle at a target from far way, then it is one of the most important jobs there is.

The people that take issue with such are those that never has been in life or death conflict. They 'romanticize' war, combat and the "righteous" death in a way that is completely contradictory to common sense and they idealize those concepts of conflict. You know, almost how if you told your mom you were in a scuffle as a child, she tried to give you advice and the advice was valid but not really pertinent. LOL. Most of these individuals have never been in a real fight let alone gone to war. You can tell by their issues or the logic they utilize to explain their points of view. Not to sound sexist but there's also a lot of pushback from women in regards to their apparent feeling that the film romanticizes war and unrealistically looks as the role of soldier in regards to valor and his desire to protect. None of it could be more B.S. I'm not even the advocate for the military but when people get it wrong they just get it wrong. I know guys like the lead character and they are every bit as dedicated as he was and in addition you can see the look of someone 'institutionalized' by duty and honor about them too.

At one point, I read a review by a guy and he made this loose reference to WWII, Vietnam and our Country's disgust for enemy snipers during those conflicts, referencing how we felt those individuals and snipers were the lowest of the low. I barely could stop myself from half yelling at the article and laughing at the ridiculousness of the statement, while thinking a couple games of Call of Duty against really good players will teach him to both hate and love a sniper (camper). You love a sniper when they are good and on your team/side and thus everyone hates when they're getting shot, everyone around them is dying and there's nothing they can presumably do about it, video game or real life conflict. One has nothing to do with validity of why he's needed or the honor regarding his job nor the film portrayal of him. Really it's overlap from drone outrage. They feel that being a sniper is the same as a stick jockey killing targets via drone in Sudan while he's physically in Iowa. SMH.

(The movie is really good, I recommend it. It's one of the most accurate portrayals of modern warfare and the soldiers involved, I've seen, next to Jarhead.)

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 1

godbodian

Just seen the movie "Everly" with Salma Hayek... yeah, I could watch an hour and a half of her anyways but add guns, semi naked scenes, gore, violence, the Yakuza and more guns and well yeah it all equals... wall to wall chubby. LOL.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 3

ginjaninja

well thats the last time i listen to you lot :-)

John Wick....facepalm

stylised violence with zero story line and a john woo body count....he loved that dog...

• Like 2