Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

A few weeks ago I watched ¨Heli¨ a Mexican movie focused on drug traffic and it´s effect on a group of teenagers. I have to say it was cold and though to watch. But one that is worth it if you want to get a grasp of what many of us who live in Mexico have been facing (gladly not to the extent in the movie in my case) for quite a few years now.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Lucy

A women is able to utilize 100% of her brain.

Well, this movie has sort of been covered here already so I'll keep this short. It's a Luc Besson movie and with that comes a certain level of exaggerated action and violence. The story isn't that great but if you strip away the whole "100% of the brain" part there is an interesting thought about human nature and knowledge.

Cinematography is pretty good and I thought Scarlett Johansson did a good job acting. Most of the effects were good but often unrealistic (but understandable in trying to show abstract or in-understandable concepts, no matter how much I hate the practice). Keep in mind that this is Luc Besson tho.

Not his best work and probably not worth watching (more than once).

4/10

techywarrior

The Artist

It's Black and White, 4x3 aspect ratio, a silent movie... and made in 2011. And it's all the better for it!

The story revolves around a silent movie star and a young actress. As the industry migrates to talkies we see how the two careers go in different directions and the effects it has on them.

It's a fantastic movie with a great score (kind of important in a silent movie). It's good to watch actors really having to "act" and not be able to fall back on quick cuts, special effects, or one liners.

9/10

• Like 1

shaefurr

Watched Kon-Tiki on Netflix. Really good film about the real life events of crossing 5k miles of the Pacific on a balsa wood raft. Reminded me a lot of The way back (not to be confused with the Way Way Back) 8/10.

Also watched Lucy last night, which was.. interesting. I see what others are saying, I mean I understand, but I still find it pretty darn far fetched. I'll save my weak 10% brain function and not even bother to finish thinking about it. A decent one time watch. 5/10.

Edited by shaefurr

Heckler

I watched Hercules last night... the new one with Dwayne Johnson as the titular character.

Overall it's not a dreadful movie, and it's a little tongue in cheek regarding the mythos surrounding him... but most likely far more accurate than the stories themselves.  :)

It's a reasonable way to kill a couple of hours, it's your standard action movie plot line with pretty standard plot twists that are mostly expected, but once or twice I didn't see coming.

I was going to give it a solid 6/10 but it's not worth repeat viewings... so that lowers it to a 5/10.

Tonight or tomorrow... Dawn of the Planet of the Apes... really looking forward to this one.

ScottIsAFool

Tonight or tomorrow... Dawn of the Planet of the Apes... really looking forward to this one.

Make sure you have subtitles turned on for the first 5-10 minutes or nothing will make sense :)

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

Watched Interstellar at the weekend. *Really* good film. If you get an opportunity to watch it on a proper IMAX screen (ie 70mm) then do it. The visuals are so impressive, and on the properly big screens, just mind blowing.

• Like 3

shaefurr

Make sure you have subtitles turned on for the first 5-10 minutes or nothing will make sense :)

Lol ya I watched it last week, about 10 or 15 mins in im like, ok I really think there's supposed to be subtitles here. Really good movie though, I enjoyed it.

ScottIsAFool

Lol ya I watched it last week, about 10 or 15 mins in im like, ok I really think there's supposed to be subtitles here. Really good movie though, I enjoyed it.

Yup, exactly the same thing happened with me :)

MrWebsmith

really want to see interstellar... looking forward to that.. will def. consider the larger/imax recommendation now as well

fantaxp7

Watched Interstellar at the weekend. *Really* good film. If you get an opportunity to watch it on a proper IMAX screen (ie 70mm) then do it. The visuals are so impressive, and on the properly big screens, just mind blowing.

Haven't seen it yet. But I do 100% always seeing these type of movies at a real IMAX. Not watered down ones that most common complexes push.

ScottIsAFool

Haven't seen it yet. But I do 100% always seeing these type of movies at a real IMAX. Not watered down ones that most common complexes push.

Yeah, we have a fake IMAX (digital imax) near us, screw that. They charge me the IMAX premium but don't give me the IMAX experience.

fantaxp7

Yeah, we have a fake IMAX (digital imax) near us, screw that. They charge me the IMAX premium but don't give me the IMAX experience.

Exactly.

For movies like this that are on my must go see list I always do IMAX. Especially for ones that are shot with IMAX film.

For those interested, IMAX or LIEMAX https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8&t=h&ie=UTF8&msa=0&mid=zLxBmgs3Es0I.kOIvw74Mhrcc

My kids and I saw it this past weekend as well.  Really, really enjoyed it (except for ending which I thought was hokey - that's not really a spoiler as most reviews agree).  But, even with that, I think it is a fantastic film.  The science (again, except for some of the ending) even "works" which is really impressive.  Nice to go see a movie like that and not have to suspend all disbelief for the entire thing.

Biggest enjoyment indicator was it didn't feel like I'd just watched a 3hr film!

Yes, I agree.  At no time did you feel like it was dragging on [cough]barrel chase[cough] and when we came out we said "wow, was it really that long...?".

• Like 1

techywarrior

My kids and I saw it this past weekend as well. Really, really enjoyed it (except for ending which I thought was hokey - that's not really a spoiler as most reviews agree). But, even with that, I think it is a fantastic film. The science (again, except for some of the ending) even "works" which is really impressive. Nice to go see a movie like that and not have to suspend all disbelief for the entire thing.

Just watched interstellar on Imax. On vacation on the forum on my phone so this will be short but I agree with the previous sentiments. Good movie, meh ending, very good use of real science. And very good special effects!

One example of the science...

My son, who is taking High School Honors Physics right now leaned over to me when he saw there was water on the first planet and said "that close to that black hole, that thing is gonna have HUGE tides..."

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

Wait, we are suppose to watch movies with Media Browser?!

Technically, I did watch that programme using media browser :) 

ScottIsAFool

There was a programme on the other day called the Science of Interstellar, was pretty cool. Was on Discovery I think.

Heckler

I saw Interstellar a couple of days ago... Unfortunately it was a download because I don't have an Imax within 50 miles of me, and my nearest cinema is 20-25 miles away, and due to health issues at the moment I am unable to spend 4-5hrs out and about, and sitting through a 3hr movie is near impossible... Which annoys me no end because I want to see the Hobbit movie really, really badly.

I thought the pacing was a little dodgy at times, the effects were spectacular though... But I do wonder if that's because I know how they did them (use of proper scientists and scientific theory to computer model them).

The ending was rather lame though... and it left me feeling disappointed overall. It didn't need to try and tie up all the loose ends... and the whole 'love triumphs over everything' theme kinda grates on the cynic in me.

I also felt that the movie reminded me of the 1997 movie Contact (not because McConaughey was in both) in both pacing and overall theme... I actually think that Contact is the slightly better movie of the two, partly because it leaves unanswered questions at the end.... at this present time. That may however change once I've seen it a few times, but I'll have to wait for it to come to bluray to watch it again.

Heckler

Watched the November Man the other night. It's not a bad action movie and a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours.  For some reason Pierce Brosnan comes across far better in this than he ever did in the Bond Movies (with the exception of Goldeneye)... Perhaps he is improving with age.

It's a well paced and well acted movie, direction is decent and set pieces are well done. It's not an intellectual movie but it is a step up from your run of the mill action films.

I'd give it a solid 7/10