Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
miniliQuid

I think it should have an option for when to register each user and the administrator decides how many simultaneous logins to allow, the system must automatically identify if it is the same ip and allow the remote control.

for example:

User registration:

Jony (02) Simultaneous logins

Erik (01) Simultaneous logins

Maria (03) Simultaneous logins

The system will identify the internal ip for the remote control.

I hope you have understood my logic, sorry for my bad english.

This would be okay for everyone I guess.

I can still put my user account on multiple logins so I can be streaming, and when I need to adjust a setting (for kids account or parents, or a friend) I can still login on my phone as well and change things for them while my stream keeps going on TV.

Other users can be put to 1 or 2 logins so depending on amount of people in their home they can still watch what they like but not have something running on phone, tablet, tv and also their PC.

• 2 weeks later...
shpankey

For me this is a very critical feature and just now finding out it doesn't have this was a shock. If not added soon I will have to revert back to Plex, which I definitely do NOT want to do. So huge +1 for me and let me add pretty please with sugar on top!!

Edited by shpankey

SikSlayer

+1 this is a must-have feature. Should have been added 4 years ago when it was first requested.

Edited by SikSlayer

gene0915

+1 from me! I'm working on moving from Plex to Emby and this is a MAJOR requirement that I need to see implemented in Emby! I don't want any workarounds! I want a simple, little box where I can limit REMOTE streams to 1 per user.

If Emby wants to One-up Plex, make it so it can be adjusted on an individual account:

Person A - 2 remote streams allowed

Person B - 1 remote stream allowed

Person C - 3 remote streams allowed

With Plex, it's a single number for everyone.

I'm sorta shocked that the Emby devs haven't implemented this feature yet.

• Like 2

dougaddams
@gene0915 

Best Idea!

Id hate to not create enough simultaneous sessions for myself, since every device in my house (usually Chrome casts) stay connected.

Users I know share with their partners and some people I only want one live session at a time.

Makandal

All of this talking is nice and wonderful but is it ever happening?

Are they going to add this feature at the latest in 2029? ;)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Edited by Makandal

miniliQuid

Depending on the support it get's I think it gets a higher priority so just like the topic to add your support for this idea.
Luke already mentioned it will be something for a future update so you can probably count on it coming, question is when.

I am not sure, but I guess the more people that like the topic cause they think it's important, the higher priority it becomes.

For me this is a very critical feature and just now finding out it doesn't have this was a shock. If not added soon I will have to revert back to Plex, which I definitely do NOT want to do. So huge +1 for me and let me add pretty please with sugar on top!!

+1 from me! I'm working on moving from Plex to Emby and this is a MAJOR requirement that I need to see implemented in Emby! I don't want any workarounds! I want a simple, little box where I can limit REMOTE streams to 1 per user.

If Emby wants to One-up Plex, make it so it can be adjusted on an individual account:

While I'd still like to see Number of streams as a limit, don't forget Emby ALREADY allows you to control what devices a user can use and also allows you to set an overall bit rate to a user.

So you could set say 5 Mb to a user and then "all the shares" on their account would be forced into using only 5 Mb.  This would also stop many people from sharing their credentials because it makes their own viewing experience pretty bad.  Granted it's not the same as stream limiting but could be used for that as well.

All for this and more.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it should have an option for when to register each user and the administrator decides how many simultaneous logins to allow, the system must automatically identify if it is the same ip and allow the remote control.

for example:

User registration:
Jony (02) Simultaneous logins
Erik (01) Simultaneous logins
Maria (03) Simultaneous logins

The system will identify the internal ip for the remote control.
I hope you have understood my logic, sorry for my bad english.

have been asking for this since 2014?

+1

We've accomplished a LOT of things since then.  This just hasn't been one of them because it is 1) not a simple feature and 2) not beneficial to as large of an audience as most of the other things we have done.

It is still on our possible list for the future though.

miniliQuid

We've accomplished a LOT of things since then.  This just hasn't been one of them because it is 1) not a simple feature and 2) not beneficial to as large of an audience as most of the other things we have done.

True, but support for this feature seems to be growing faster lately :)

It's probably more important then you think.

With a lot of people migrating over to Emby from Plex they had this feature with Plex and this might be the "preferred" method of countering users who share accounts with other people.  

Emby certainly has other features you can use in situations like this but Plex users only had this method and it might be a preferred method.  It certainly does work well for stopping people from sharing or setting up a master account for everyone in the house to use on all devices to stream from shared resources.

• Like 1