Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

Cerothen

I think, in general, if you limit the number of logins per user (and really I would assume we mean limiting the number of active devices), it for the most part by its nature, would limit the number of concurrent streams. The exception to that would be if someone opened (for instance) multiple tabs in one browser sessions and streamed multiple things at the same time. From my perspective I would take that as an acceptable outlier to the solution.

What about the situation where the administrator only wants to allow one stream per user, and that user puts it on their computer screen then logs in on their phone to remotely control the stream on the computer?

It really needs to be a number of streams not logins.

• Like 2

mastrmind11

There are a number of ways to do this at the server level outside of Emby.  If it's important enough to you, you can figure it out.  The argument as I see it is, if you have users who are shady enough to share their credentials to your server with hundreds of other people, you either have shitty users/friends and/or you're running a subscription streaming service.  Either way, the onus shouldn't be on the Emby team to maintain how you control access to your server.  It's just a web server, after all, and web servers been around way longer than Emby.

legallink

I kinda disagree. Has nothing to do with them being crappy users. Has to do with them having multiple tvs and me having limited upload bandwidth.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
grayfados

I think if we can set a option like:

Simultaneous.connections=2 (0, if unlimited) would be the best solution. We can control the accounts when is demanded.

• Like 1

Fratopolis

Ok I'm just spitballing here, but if you find a user sharing his/her user login and password after you specifically said not to, then that user should be booted either permanatly or for a set period of time so they get the message.

I would also like to have this feature but I solved it already pretty fast by locking people out. Never saw simultaneous logins again.

• 3 weeks later...
sbrindley

This would be a VERY welcome addition.  The ability to limit each person to 1 connection.  I have several friends that stay logged in (even unknowingly), on their android tablet, pc, etc... yet they're streaming from a Roku or Fire TV and it shows them with 3+ simultaneous connections.

I was thinking of upgrading to Emby premiere but after reading this thread I think I wait till this is solved.
1 connection per user at a time be the perfect solution for many here I think.
Very easy if the user wants to connect from a different device then let him first log off the one device being used and after that he should log into the other one.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a better/easier way is not worry about logins or connections but limit the number of streams a particular user can have at one time.  A person just going through my library to mark things favorite, creating playlists or to see what new shows/movies I have isn't really taxing my server nor my upload bandwidth.

I also don't care if they left their Roku, xbox and 3 Android Clients on in Emby connected to my system as it's not taxing it. However, once they start to play back, download or sync then that stream does affect my server.

This setting could be defaulted to 0 (unlimited) by default and then an admin could set it to 1 or 2 (whatever) they need/want.  I think this is the best way to go myself as it won't cause "connection problems" for clients thinking they can't connect to my server and hence I'm having a problem.

Once the user gets a message similar to "Sorry you have exceeded your concurrent streaming ability" once or twice they will learn to change their password and not share it anymore as they are the ones being inconvenienced!!!

So how would you guys feel about limiting the number of streams vs logins/connections?

Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
abescalamis

+1, I love this Idea to limit the streams to a user to only one connection per user, I'm surprised that Emby doesn't have it already, this is a must have feature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cerothen

A better option would be limit to the same ip as the first active session. This would still let someone use the remote control features from their phone (as an example).

Perhaps just limit to one active steam per user?

Maybe a better/easier way is not worry about logins or connections but limit the number of streams a particular user can have at one time. A person just going through my library to mark things favorite, creating playlists or to see what new shows/movies I have isn't really taxing my server nor my upload bandwidth.

I also don't care if they left their Roku, xbox and 3 Android Clients on in Emby connected to my system as it's not taxing it. However, once they start to play back, download or sync then that stream does affect my server.

This setting could be defaulted to 0 (unlimited) by default and then an admin could set it to 1 or 2 (whatever) they need/want. I think this is the best way to go myself as it won't cause "connection problems" for clients thinking they can't connect to my server and hence I'm having a problem.

Once the user gets a message similar to "Sorry you have exceeded your concurrent streaming ability" once or twice they will learn to change their password and not share it anymore as they are the ones being inconvenienced!!!

So how would you guys feel about limiting the number of streams vs logins/connections?

Carlo

I suggested limiting streams 3 years ago haha. I would love an option to limit the number of simultaneous streams that each user can have, either configurable at the user level or the server level (if at the server level admins should be excluded from the limit). If a stream limit is reached it should cut off wherever the oldest stream from that user is, the goal is to deter people sharing their accounts (I'm cool with my family using my server, but I don't want them sharing it with their friends etc.).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
JDounis

+1

Absolutely need this feature! Would love to set a limit to the number of active logins at one time for the one user. 

Please make this happen Emby Community!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also am in favor of this. On Plex you can limit overall simultaneous remote sessions per user to 1, which works decently well to limit them. There are also some scripts that do it by IP.

• Like 2

tdiguy

I like this as a potential feature myself, but mostly as i see a few ways to make this fit most if not all use case scenario's.

Limiting it per stream to me seems better to me than per ip address. I am a bit fuzzy on how this would be seen by the program but if someone has everything in their house connect to your emby server ( and they are remote ) wouldn't the server see all the devices as coming from their router's ip address?

Being able to set a limit independantly per login would be utilitarian ( bob can have 5 streams brian can have 2 )

Being able to set limits based on intranet or internet would also be helpful.

Now a big question on something like this is how much effort would it take to implement and make it flexible so that it can be a control thats put in once and nearly anyone interested in using it can use it in a way that best suits their usage scenarios.

• Like 3

sbrindley

I like this as a potential feature myself, but mostly as i see a few ways to make this fit most if not all use case scenario's.

Limiting it per stream to me seems better to me than per ip address. I am a bit fuzzy on how this would be seen by the program but if someone has everything in their house connect to your emby server ( and they are remote ) wouldn't the server see all the devices as coming from their router's ip address?

Being able to set a limit independantly per login would be utilitarian ( bob can have 5 streams brian can have 2 )

Being able to set limits based on intranet or internet would also be helpful.

Now a big question on something like this is how much effort would it take to implement and make it flexible so that it can be a control thats put in once and nearly anyone interested in using it can use it in a way that best suits their usage scenarios.

This ^^  +1  :) 

• Like 1