Set simultaneous connect limit for users

drfiggins

I definitely think this is becoming higher priority but most of what we've worked on to date impacts a much larger audience than this feature will.

• Like 3

legallink

It's probably more important then you think.

With a lot of people migrating over to Emby from Plex they had this feature with Plex and this might be the "preferred" method of countering users who share accounts with other people.  

Emby certainly has other features you can use in situations like this but Plex users only had this method and it might be a preferred method.  It certainly does work well for stopping people from sharing or setting up a master account for everyone in the house to use on all devices to stream from shared resources.

No disagreement on the comment, but complexity is multiplied here because Emby does not require you to go through an Emby portal to utilize the server, whereas Plex does.  I assume (i'm not sure, but it would be the easiest approach) that Plex did the implementation purely through the portal limitation as a central cutoff point.  Emby doesn't work quite that way.

I think there may be limitations to "not being tied to the mother ship".

shocker

Definitely the db speed was the critical thing to be fixed/improved or hw transcoding and all the good staff that they were added ;-) but as of now this should go in a top priority from my point of view.

For my point of view there are two things missing from Emby:

- Set simultaneous connect limit for users

- Ability to exclude a library on global search (for example if you have an Adult library and kids around to not have all the fancy posters on screen)  :)

This is just my point of view, you guys have a wider view on the audience :) anyway thank you for all the goodies added so far!

Edited by shocker

- Ability to exclude a library on global search (for example if you have an Adult library and kids around to not have all the fancy posters on screen)  :)

This is already possible using either access or parental controls.  But, please, let's keep discussion within a feature request to that particular feature.

Thanks.

shocker

This is already possible using either access or parental controls.  But, please, let's keep discussion within a feature request to that particular feature.

Thanks.

I know but it would be nicer in this way :)

Indeed let's not mix things and go off-topic :) thanks!

Edited by shocker

miniliQuid

It's probably more important then you think.

With a lot of people migrating over to Emby from Plex they had this feature with Plex and this might be the "preferred" method of countering users who share accounts with other people.  

Emby certainly has other features you can use in situations like this but Plex users only had this method and it might be a preferred method.  It certainly does work well for stopping people from sharing or setting up a master account for everyone in the house to use on all devices to stream from shared resources.

It's not that it isn't important, but performance upgrades and bug fixes etc are something everyone benefits from.

This feature is something some people couldn't care less about, while others really benefit from it, or may even feel like they need it.

4 years is a long time, but if you look through the comments, you can see that between 2014 and 2016 not many people have been interested, or have shown support.

Since 2017 more people have posted reactions and the feature becomes more important and will probably be implemented at some point.

But with the amount of changes and features requested it is also a matter of how much people want the other features that are requested.

Personally I can wait a little longer with this one, even though I would like it implemented in the near future, but performance upgrades hit me right away so I can benefit right now :)

No disagreement on the comment, but complexity is multiplied here because Emby does not require you to go through an Emby portal to utilize the server, whereas Plex does.  I assume (i'm not sure, but it would be the easiest approach) that Plex did the implementation purely through the portal limitation as a central cutoff point.  Emby doesn't work quite that way.

I think there may be limitations to "not being tied to the mother ship".

No, it is handled at the server level in Plex.

It's not that it isn't important, but performance upgrades and bug fixes etc are something everyone benefits from.

This feature is something some people couldn't care less about, while others really benefit from it, or may even feel like they need it.

4 years is a long time, but if you look through the comments, you can see that between 2014 and 2016 not many people have been interested, or have shown support.

Since 2017 more people have posted reactions and the feature becomes more important and will probably be implemented at some point.

But with the amount of changes and features requested it is also a matter of how much people want the other features that are requested.

Personally I can wait a little longer with this one, even though I would like it implemented in the near future, but performance upgrades hit me right away so I can benefit right now :)

Not disagreeing with you at all.  I personally have ZERO need for this feature request.  However as I pointed out,  many people currently running Plex and switching to Emby may look for this feature since it's what they are used to.

Emby does in fact have other features that Plex does not like per user bandwidth restrictions, use of transcoder, ect that could be used sort of to do the same thing.  But restriction of number of streams (not connections) would be useful as well.

I'm sure the feature will get here eventually. My only intent behind the message was to show it could be helpful to those who wish to migrate and aren't currently customers or users of Emby.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Carlo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
vanshyr

+1

In my opinion, it should be limited by streams.

- You should be able to put a global limit by default applied to all users on creation time.
 - The admin should be able to set a limit per user, at user admin section.
 - Multiple logins should be allowed per account to do any other activity which does not require stream (Playback, Download, Sync)
 - If the 2 user logged tries to playback a message should be displayed informing the user "Stream limit reached. Currently streaming XXXXX. Contact you server admin for more info." (or something similar)

I see there is quite a lot interest on this and I do see it as well as an important feature. For those that share account with parents/partner etc is as easy to create one account for each and if you trust them, kind of the problem is solved, but it can happen that credentials get stolen and there is no way for the user to notice that and an admin with many accounts (like f.ex 50) will use a lot of time tracking down them, so i think it is important.

Advanced users will know how to setup a webserver in front and deal with this problem forwarding the connection to emby but i think it will be more professional implement it inside the emby server, mostly for the non techy users who are premium.

As a dirty work around it could be implemented to detect more than 1 stream for current user and deactivate all options of playback, download, sync. I know this is not 100% efficient but i think it will prevent most of the non technical users on playing the streams when they shouldn't.

Bests!

Edited by vanshyr
  • Like 3

darkassassin07

This would be really nice for tracking down users that have given away their credentials or had them stolen.

If someone steals a users credentials and just uses it to watch content from your server, its extremely hard to figure that out. At least with a limit on the number of active streams they can have, you might get a call asking how they reached their limit while they arent actually watching anything (ie someone else is using their streams).

There's also nothing stopping one of your users from opening a dozen tabs+streams and bogging down your server.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
devin_mm

I would add this as maybe an adjacent feature to this but the ability to set remote access ip restriction on a per-user basis.

This would be the scenario:

Admin: Any IP

Joe: 50.1.30.1

Jane: 50.1.30.1; 12.2.3.130

Chris: Any IP

• 3 weeks later...
shrouski

I would add this as maybe an adjacent feature to this but the ability to set remote access ip restriction on a per-user basis.

This would be the scenario:

Admin: Any IP

Joe: 50.1.30.1

Jane: 50.1.30.1; 12.2.3.130

Chris: Any IP

I can't see any reason you'd want that? Just limit the users to specific devices, then why do you care what IP they connect from? It couldn't be abused.

I can't see any reason you'd want that? Just limit the users to specific devices, then why do you care what IP they connect from? It couldn't be abused.

Because you may not care what device they use but want them restricted to a location.

So for example you could only allow them to connect via certain IP ranges which would allow you to limit them to blocks of Comcast IP or Verizon FIOS IPs (just an example), but not be able to use the same device while on cell or from an unknown WIFI network.

It's a different need and different way of doing security.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 

I moved from plex to emby as plex didn't allow other users to manage DVR recordings, Plex now allows this, want to stay with Emby but this is 100% a requirement.

+1 

I moved from plex to emby as plex didn't allow other users to manage DVR recordings, Plex now allows this, want to stay with Emby but this is 100% a requirement.

Why?

Emby doesn't presently due connection limits but has other options you can use to stop people from abusing credentials.  You can set bandwidth limits, times, authorized devices, IPs for example.

So you can lock users to IP ranges or specific devices.  You can control if they have transcode rights or not.  You can give a user X amount of bandwidth so if they share an account they degrade their own video.

So maybe if you explore what Emby already has then you won't need to limit accounts based on connections.

Also, keep in mind it's your server so the BEST method is to have a talk with any family/friends you've given access to and tell them to knock off what they are doing or loose access to your server.

Why?

Emby doesn't presently due connection limits but has other options you can use to stop people from abusing credentials.  You can set bandwidth limits, times, authorized devices, IPs for example.

So you can lock users to IP ranges or specific devices.  You can control if they have transcode rights or not.  You can give a user X amount of bandwidth so if they share an account they degrade their own video.

So maybe if you explore what Emby already has then you won't need to limit accounts based on connections.

Also, keep in mind it's your server so the BEST method is to have a talk with any family/friends you've given access to and tell them to knock off what they are doing or loose access to your server.

Because none of these are viable options, bandwidth limits will cause a issue for anyone wanted to stream 4k, times are not relevant at all, authorized devices means that if a friend visit's his parents etc he can't use the device at his parents, IPs is the same reason.

While i get you are trying to help, these are not viable solutions.

Simply having a limit per user is a much cleaner and more suitable solution for a lot of people, hence how this request has 6 pages of yes's

Pog22

None of these are suitable for me either. Why is it such a big deal to have connection limits per user?

• Like 1

darkassassin07

- bandwidth limiting is only per-stream, not a limit for all their streams combined. This means you can limit the quality of each individual stream, but you cant stop them from opening a dozen streams at once.

- ip limiting is pretty useless when every single residential internet connection I have ever delt with uses ddns to get a dynamic wan ip. You would have to find a way to keep track of every ip your users want to use and update them with every unpredictable change (while your user has no access in the mean time and is bitching at you about it)

- time limits.... We all live in the same time zone (my users I mean). I only see this feature as usefull for a parent limiting their kids media consumption.

- authorized devices. Many of my users use the web client exclusively, either because they dont have/want the other apps or a device capable of running them. (I have at least one user that changes devices like you'd change a shirt, all legit use). You can't limit access to the web client.

If I want to prevent this user from streaming multiple times at once the only real option is to disable the account. As that user is family that lives with me, I'd never hear the end of it.

Sometimes its just easier to preemptively prevent people from doing something wrong. That's better than punishing them when they eventually do the thing you wanted to prevent anyway.

Edited by darkassassin07

Spaceboy

Because none of these are viable options, bandwidth limits will cause a issue for anyone wanted to stream 4k, times are not relevant at all, authorized devices means that if a friend visit's his parents etc he can't use the device at his parents, IPs is the same reason.

While i get you are trying to help, these are not viable solutions.

Simply having a limit per user is a much cleaner and more suitable solution for a lot of people, hence how this request has 6 pages of yes's

6 pages of yes but also many explanations as why with emby it’s much more difficult. Saying yes a hundred times doesn’t make it any easier

darkassassin07

6 pages of yes but also many explanations as why with emby it’s much more difficult. Saying yes a hundred times doesn’t make it any easier

After just now re-reading the whole thread, I see lots of support for this feature mostly leaning towards limiting the number of active streams a user can have. A large portion of that support comes from users looking to switch from plex but there is also a decent number of people that have been using emby for quite a while, checking in on this regularly to show support. What I don't see is any reason why this shouldn't be implemented or any reason why it would be excessively difficult.

We are not talking about monitoring the actual bandwidth used across all of a users streams as that would actually be really difficult due to how dynamic the bitrates of individual streams can be.

Emby already knows the difference between when a connected client is streaming for a particular user or not ('active devices' on the dashboard) it shouldn't be that difficult for the server itself to keep track of how many individual clients are actively streaming for each user and present an error if a user tries to start another stream from another client while the number of streams that user currently has active = the limit set for that user by the admin.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I think it would make a nice enhancement and have said this previously as well.

But at the same time there are plenty of other things I'd rather see the team work on then something like this unless it was an easy addition.  Part of the reason is the audience of the software.  By that I mean, this is after all a home media server meant to be used by you, your family and maybe a copy of close friends.  You know these people and should have no issue with addressing issues or people who are abusing your trust and server.

If I see someone abusing my server I pick up the phone and call them, explain what is going on and instruct them to stop it if they want to continue using my server. :)  I've had a friend who was staying at his parents house for the week (house sitting) and setup my server on his parent;s Roku for his use.  After he was done house sitting, I kept noticing streaming from his parents house (IP/Device) and also his house.  I had him change his password to invalidate the login on his parents device and told him not to do that again.

To me it's similar to loaning my car/truck to a friend who asks for a favor.  If I found out they in turn loaned my vehicle to someone else I'd by very upset and give them a mouthful. There would be a slim chance this person ever borrowed my vehicle again.  Same with my server, it's not for loaning out to others and I already have the tools needed to stop anyone from loaning my stuff to another person. I also make this clear upfront when I create a login for them. :)

With that said I DO UNDERSTAND how this can happen without someone "loaning" credentials out.  They could have a couple of TVs in the house setup and could get used at the same time.  Again, not my issue at the end of the day to find ways to get a friend/family member to respect my wishes.  If they can't do as I ask then they don't get access to my stuff.

Pog22

With that said I DO UNDERSTAND how this can happen without someone "loaning" credentials out. They could have a couple of TVs in the house setup and could get used at the same time. Again, not my issue at the end of the day to find ways to get a friend/family member to respect my wishes. If they can't do as I ask then they don't get access to my stuff.

The family members I share with have children who have the Emby login who have been known to use it in their friends houses. You know what that leads to..... And as a server admin it is madness that it is something I have no control over

Don't want to detract from the thread but want to play this out as well and of course stick another 2 cents in the pot. :)

And that my friend is why you use device authentication that Emby supports OR ban the IP of the neighbor.  When the people with your server login credentials can't be trusted to use your services properly you either lock them out from using your server completely or can lock their use to a specific device like the family TV.  If said person can't be trusted then maybe they just shouldn't be using your server anyway right?  Because they are family and not following directions you could allow them limited use on 1 device and problem is solved.   It's really no difference then a cell phone number.  You get one per customer and it's locked to a device.

If you did in fact have the 1 stream limit, how would this help?  All that would happen is that the neighbor could use your server when they wanted and if they happen to be using it and the family member can't then what?  Is this family member (or Kid) now going to remove the account from the neighbor's device?

Stream limits are better suited to services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other commercial services but really shouldn't be needed for people you know and trust.