FreeNAS plugin

Luke

josh4trunks

hi guys

haven't posted here in a while.  i'm experiencing some annoying issues and I'm not sure if this is a plugin issue or an emby server issue.  But here goes -

I recently re-arranged my library as my media downloader was dropping TVs & movies into their respective directories in a non-orderly manner.  So I went through and cleaned up and re-arranged all the media folders.  Great.  What has happened however is that emby still seems to be seeing the TV & movie files in their old location, despite doing regular library scans.

Strange thing though is that the server happily adds new files no problem.  It's just that it hasn't picked up that I moved a bunch of files and thinks they are in their old place.

Does that make sense?  Can anyone help?

Also, my freenas isn't letting me update the plugin.  It just hangs at 50% "update plugin" endlessly.  Is there a way I can manually update the plugin myself?

TIA

You could do the following to update a plugin without going through the update button. Your metadata will be saved in /var/db/emby-server

* upload a PBI for another plugin to the emby jail from http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/, the "sabnzbd-1.0.0-amd64.pbi" one works.

* stop emby

* delete the emby plugin

* upload the latest emby plugin from the previous link to the emby jail

Edited by josh4trunks
  • Like 1

Hisma

you caught me before the edit josh, lol

I realized I was just being impatient.  It takes about 5 minutes for the update to complete.  It appeared that it was hanging, but it was just taking its time.   I am going to see if updating the plugin has fixed my library update issue.  thanks for your hard work.

josh4trunks

you caught me before the edit josh, lol

I realized I was just being impatient.  It takes about 5 minutes for the update to complete.  It appeared that it was hanging, but it was just taking its time.   I am going to see if updating the plugin has fixed my library update issue.  thanks for your hard work.

nice, at least I wrote up he procedure in case anyone else needs to do it.

• Like 1

Hisma

and indeed, it does appear that the latest update did fix my library.  sorry for ranting over nothing.  I just need to be more patient with the updates.

josh4trunks

and indeed, it does appear that the latest update did fix my library.  sorry for ranting over nothing.  I just need to be more patient with the updates.

lol, no worries. whenever i apply updates i just do something else and come back

• 2 weeks later...
mediacowboy

How do I go about manual updating emby? I have freenas installed and emby up and running and on the admin dashboard I am seeing a message saying a new version is available. I am on a fresh freenas install running emby 3.0.5882.0

josh4trunks

How do I go about manual updating emby? I have freenas installed and emby up and running and on the admin dashboard I am seeing a message saying a new version is available. I am on a fresh freenas install running emby 3.0.5882.0

there's probably a way to replace the source if you want to update manually.

but I'll try updating the plugin and posting it to the repo soon. then people could update from the Plugins > Installed tab

Hisma

just want to say thanks for all the hard work to @@josh4trunks & @@Luke.  I went ahead and purchased a emby premiere key as I have been impressed with all the progress that has been made on emby theater.  Applied to my freenas server without a hitch.  Really solid setup.  If anyone hasn't messed w/ emby theater in a while, they have native madvr support & the live TV is vastly improved, especially if you have a hdhomerun.  Stability issues w/ kodi as of late has pushed me to try this alternative.  

This is just an aside, and an endorsement for emby theater for those of you currently using kodi and are frustrated w/ the instabilities.

Edited by Hisma

just want to say thanks for all the hard work to @@josh4trunks & @@Luke.  I went ahead and purchased a emby premiere key as I have been impressed with all the progress that has been made on emby theater.  Applied to my freenas server without a hitch.  Really solid setup.  If anyone hasn't messed w/ emby theater in a while, they have native madvr support & the live TV is vastly improved, especially if you have a hdhomerun.  Stability issues w/ kodi as of late has pushed me to try this alternative.  

This is just an aside, and an endorsement for emby theater for those of you currently using kodi and are frustrated w/ the instabilities.

Thanks for the kind words, happy to hear it, and we are working on Emby Theater almost every day to keep making it even better.

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort

So, by the lack of people posting about it, has everyone's update to 9.10 gone smoothly for their Emby jail?

Vidman

Well it could be that like me they are not bothering to update yet

Edited by Vidman

sluggo45

Yes, it's smooth. You don't need to recreate your jails to use the new FreeBSD 10 userspace and in fact you may have to do that over again when 10.x comes out anyway if you do. Existing jails will continue to use the current structure. 

9.10 is now the official stable branch - 9.3 won't receive any more updates (outside of emergency maintenance). You should see a warning about this now when you log in to your FreeNAS WebGUI. 

BTW @@josh4trunks thanks for the latest update to the Emby server package. 

gmacman

Really sorry for this the very detailed walk thru question but...

I just want to make sure I do this correctly.  Being such a noob I somehow messed up the last time I tried to update via plugin (hard to believe but true) and even though I had taken a snapshot of the emby jail (again, being such a noob) I messed up trying to do the rollback!!!  So I had to reinstall the plugin into a new jail and basically setup a new Emby.

Okay, perhaps I'm even worse than a noob and just plain stupid.

So here I am still on Emby 3.0.521.  Can the great minds please look over the process detailed below and just let me know if I'm going to be making any errors.

Thanks

1.  Been taking periodic snapshots of the Emby jail weekly (although not looking for freenas help here, I will mention that my parameters are to keep snapshot for 2 weeks, VMwarc Sync is false, Exclude System Dataset is false)

Proposed Update process (here is where I need some help, especially if something is out of the correct order)

2.  Shut Emby server down from Emby WebUI

3.  Turn Emby Service Off from FreeNAS WebUI

4. QUESTION???   Do I need to Stop the Jail from the FreeNAS WebUI?

5.  Click Update button from FreeNAS WebUI

6.  Rejoice when it says I've updated correctly and have 3.0.5913 going

sluggo45

All I do is shut it off via the FreeNAS gui, wait about 10 seconds to insure all processes are stopped (the GUI can be slow to sync), then update. Has worked without issue for the last several updates.

I never shut Emby down or for that matter reboot it via its own web GUI, I have found on FreeNAS that leads to problems. 

• Like 1

gmacman

All I do is shut it off via the FreeNAS gui, wait about 10 seconds to insure all processes are stopped (the GUI can be slow to sync), then update. Has worked without issue for the last several updates.

I never shut Emby down or for that matter reboot it via its own web GUI, I have found on FreeNAS that leads to problems. 

Excellent.  Thanks, I suspect that I probably did both things wrong last time (didn't wait and the Emby gui shutdown). 

Cheers

proppa

Do you turn off the Plugin or the Jail? Or both? I tried updating the jail multiple times, and reverting to snapshot every time it failed, but no luck.

Anyone know how I could update it manually from inside the jail?

Vidman

All i have ever done is In the freenas ui go to installed plugins switch off emby then click the update button

josh4trunks

Yup, as @@Vidman said, that's the way to do it, if it works.You need the jail running in update PBIs, which is what the plugin is.

As for updating manually, there might be a way to replace the exe in the jail, but it would probably be easier to just install a standard jail, and install the emby-server package. you would just miss out on the start/stop/status webui functions of the plugin, and you'd need to make sure you compile ffmpeg(and some other optional stuff) with the correct options from ports.

see https://github.com/josh4trunks/freenas-plugins/blob/master/plugins/emby/pbi.conf#L20-24

• 3 weeks later...
Baenwort

I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 as I've had several failed updates to 9.10. I'm trying to update from 3.0.5913 to the most recent one and I get the following error:

May 10 20:35:46 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 10 20:35:46 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Music'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/TV Shows'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Movies'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Pictures'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]
May 10 20:36:51 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 10 20:36:51 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup: not a file system root directory
]

I've shut down the PBI via the freenas gui and then I press update.

josh4trunks

I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 as I've had several failed updates to 9.10. I'm trying to update from 3.0.5913 to the most recent one and I get the following error:

May 10 20:35:46 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 10 20:35:46 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Music'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/TV Shows'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Movies'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Pictures'
May 10 20:35:47 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]
May 10 20:36:51 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 10 20:36:51 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup: not a file system root directory
]
I've shut down the PBI via the freenas gui and then I press update.
this is what I consider a bug/bad implementation in the plugins system, but try this

remount all the Mount points it mentions, or temporarily remove them

Baenwort

this is what I consider a bug/bad implementation in the plugins system, but try this

remount all the Mount points it mentions, or temporarily remove them

So I remounted the mount points and now I get this:

May 12 00:00:00 thing syslog-ng[1674]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Music'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/TV Shows'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Movies'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Pictures'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]

josh4trunks

So I remounted the mount points and now I get this:

May 12 00:00:00 thing syslog-ng[1674]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/Backup'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Music'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/TV Shows'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Movies'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [common.pipesubr:71] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/cousin_itt/jails/emby_1/media/Visual/Pictures'
May 12 00:03:15 thing manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]

can you mount them all again and post a screenshot of you Jails > Storage tab.

Or try the other solution I offered