Why do you chose Emby over Plex?

Snorbor

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Please re-read it.  It is very comprehensive.  In fact, way more than what we actually do but I explained that above as well.

Are you referring to the Disclosure of information paragraph? Assuming the first paragraph at the top means that you are using this extremely broad policy for everything you touch, this isn't what I was asking for.

I was asking that you actually spell out what you are collecting, how you use it, and who you share it with. At the moment, we have your word you are not collecting more than you say you are allowed to collect, which is pretty much whatever you want according to that policy. It also mentions you can practically share it with whoever you want so long as it isn't for a 3rd parties marketing or promotions.

I'm no lawyer and not capable of arguing the finer points here, but this is nothing like what Plex provides its users. I also don't believe emby to be nefarious and collecting a whole lot more than what you are saying you collect, but you are a business, so I'm not just going to take you at your word for it.

2 minutes ago, Damien_ said:

Good call bailing out of this conversation. I would too.

It's funny, I'm the one biased and the irony is clearly lost on you as 1) you only have to look at your recent history and 2) why visit a forum for a product you no longer use if your so objective?

I actively run both servers, Plex since is was ported from XBMC and had to buy a Mac mini to run it. I dont claim to be an expert in either, but I certainly know enough that there was no way I couldn't address your diatribe of;  let's say inaccurate statements in your response to me. 

I was bailing from your "conversation" because you were acting inappropriately. I pointed out incorrect information, and you got very angry about it and started in with personal attacks for some reason. If you want civil discourse I'm happy to engage.

As I said before, I still help relatives run their emby servers. I use it at least twice a week still. I also run Plex for myself and my immediate family, mostly because its pretty much hands free. None of my family members have a Plex account, only I do. I also help a friend with their Jellyfin server and have a server setup in case I want to go back to it.

I also said you are biased because of the amount of anger you showed in your post about me criticizing emby. You clearly don't like them being criticized, that shows bias. If you are an employee or generally offended by criticism of emby, I would suggest that you find a way past that, as not everyone is going to buy in.

Lastly, I also do not claim to be an expert in any of these softwares, but i do use them all, very often. Don't take this so personal, stop with the anger and personal attacks, and ill be happy to continue talking with you!

Damien_
58 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

I was bailing from your "conversation" because you were acting inappropriately. I pointed out incorrect information, and you got very angry about it and started in with personal attacks for some reason. If you want civil discourse I'm happy to engage.

As I said before, I still help relatives run their emby servers. I use it at least twice a week still. I also run Plex for myself and my immediate family, mostly because its pretty much hands free. None of my family members have a Plex account, only I do. I also help a friend with their Jellyfin server and have a server setup in case I want to go back to it.

I also said you are biased because of the amount of anger you showed in your post about me criticizing emby. You clearly don't like them being criticized, that shows bias. If you are an employee or generally offended by criticism of emby, I would suggest that you find a way past that, as not everyone is going to buy in.

Lastly, I also do not claim to be an expert in any of these softwares, but i do use them all, very often. Don't take this so personal, stop with the anger and personal attacks, and ill be happy to continue talking with you!

lol you can't even be honest here. My post  (remember I responded to the OP- you responded to me) and was greeted with '90% of this is wrong' -  First that's not exactly this peaceful hippy nonsense your putting on now, that's a challenge and insulting- which is fine. But to respond, coming off as an expert to put me in my place with a diatribe full of inaccuracies and not expect a response is silly. 

That's the precise reason you're bailing on this conversation, not because I got mad but because you realized I was going to call you on where your response was inaccurate. Otherwise you certainly would've responded in kind ("I pointed out incorrect information, and you got very angry about it)".

(https://support.plex.tv/articles/203815766-what-is-plex-home) "Managed Users
The administrator for a Plex Home has the ability to create Managed Users within that home. These are often used by parents to create an account for their children, for instance" - plex forums. 

That's just one 'inaccurate statement' you mentioned. This was a retort  that plex has as much admin/granular level control as Emby. Even if it was advisable to use managed users outside the house, the comparison between the two isn't even close (There's a ton of features available to us on Emby server, whereas plex we have close to no control over the end user experience. 
Be honest, you led of with an insult/challenge/narrative and are now trying to paint yourself as this reasonable person that was attacked by some angry attack dog (not reasonable enough to acknowledge that not any parts of your assessment was in fact incorrect, even  when it comes straight from the Plex forum).

So spare me. 

Edited by Damien_

47 minutes ago, Damien_ said:

lol you can't even be honest here. My post  (remember I responded to the OP- you responded to me) and was greeted with '90% of this is wrong' -  First that's not exactly this peaceful hippy nonsense your putting on now, that's a challenge and insulting- which is fine. But to respond, coming off as an expert to put me in my place with a diatribe full of inaccuracies and not expect a response is silly. 

That's the precise reason you're bailing on this conversation, not because I got mad but because you realized I was going to call you on where your response was inaccurate. Otherwise you certainly would've responded in kind ("I pointed out incorrect information, and you got very angry about it)".

(https://support.plex.tv/articles/203815766-what-is-plex-home) "Managed Users
The administrator for a Plex Home has the ability to create Managed Users within that home. These are often used by parents to create an account for their children, for instance" - plex forums. 

That's just one 'inaccurate statement' you mentioned. This was a retort  that plex has as much admin/granular level control as Emby. Even if it was advisable to use managed users outside the house, the comparison between the two isn't even close (There's a ton of features available to us on Emby server, whereas plex we have close to no control over the end user experience. 
Be honest, you led of with an insult/challenge/narrative and are now trying to paint yourself as this reasonable person that was attacked by some angry attack dog (not reasonable enough to acknowledge that not any parts of your assessment was in fact incorrect, even  when it comes straight from the Plex forum).

So spare me. 

lmao I , quit reading after the first paragraph since its obvious you are still being a toddler and cant take someone pointing out you are wrong. You still are wrong, if you don't know how to use Plex, you should spend some more time with it, if you want I guess, seems you're pretty invested in emby or something, or just a sad angry person.

If you don't understand how to take someone pointing out the faults in your statement without being angry and childish, there is no point in continuing to talk to you. And since I'm a sudden hippie, peace on earth friend :)

adrianwi
On 19/10/2023 at 00:03, Snorbor said:

I’m trying to figure out if switching would have benefits. 
What can you do with Emby and not Plex?

I don't have to sign into any emby services giving them access to all of my data in order to use my local emby server.  That alone should be enough of a reason to switch.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, adrianwi said:

I don't have to sign into any emby services giving them access to all of my data in order to use my local emby server.  That alone should be enough of a reason to switch.

If you want to use emby premiere you still have to let the server check in over the internet every so often, so the implication that emby couldnt be collecting data because you dont log in with to their service to connect to your server isn't exactly right. However, if you don't use emby premiere ever, I do believe you can use emby entirely offline and could prevent any possible data collection, but then again, I would think Jellyfin would be the go to there as you don't need an internet connection at all ever.

Guess that's really down to preference though.

Edited by lukeoslavia

@lukeoslavia

The main Emby dev's as well many of our members explain to you in clear matter about your concerned. But you kept voices your wrong thought in all your posts here.

This is Emby community support forum, if you want simply to advertise other media software,  do it at other places.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Damien_
19 hours ago, lukeoslavia said:

lmao I , quit reading after the first paragraph since its obvious you are still being a toddler and cant take someone pointing out you are wrong. You still are wrong, if you don't know how to use Plex, you should spend some more time with it, if you want I guess, seems you're pretty invested in emby or something, or just a sad angry person.

If you don't understand how to take someone pointing out the faults in your statement without being angry and childish, there is no point in continuing to talk to you. And since I'm a sudden hippie, peace on earth friend :)

lol yea sure- first you read the entire thing. Second you quit because you’re  wrong. That’s all. You most certainly would’ve pointed out any statement that was ‘inaccurate’ but have yet to do even once. 

btw the story a out setting up servers etc for family was heart warning. 100% bullshit, but touching.  you came here bc plex can be setup by a toddler you thought it was better bc of it.
Again- why visit a forum for a product you don’t use?  Just a word of advice, next time you plan on trolling, study or have some semblance of the topic at hand. You  were woefully unprepared. 

16 hours ago, Abobader said:

@lukeoslavia

The main Emby dev's as well many of our members explain to you in clear matter about your concerned. But you kept voices your wrong thought in all your posts here.

This is Emby community support forum, if you want simply to advertise other media software,  do it at other places.

Thanks.

This is not a support thread, its under "Non-Emby General Discussion" and someone is asking if they should choose emby over Plex. I gave them good reasons not to choose emby over plex and suggested they choose Jellyfin instead. If you don't like to hear that, I don't really care. As an "Emby Administrator" I understand that you don't want to hear about how your competition does better than you, but rejecting it is detrimental to making emby better.

No emby devs actually addressed what I said, they just stated things that changed over the course of the discussion and in the end said their one size fits all privacy policy for the website also applies to the server and their apps. What they are saying is, we are allowed to collect and share your information, but we aren't, trust us. Which isn't entirely true, as they are admittedly collecting information about the number of people using tv guide data and providing it to GraceNote.

So why not state what you are collecting exactly and who you share it with in a privacy policy for the server and apps? Do you disagree that it's suspect to say, I can collect data, but just trust me I'm not?

• Like 1

roaku
14 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

This is not a support thread, its under "Non-Emby General Discussion" and someone is asking if they should choose emby over Plex. I gave them good reasons not to choose emby over plex and suggested they choose Jellyfin instead. If you don't like to hear that, I don't really care. As an "Emby Administrator" I understand that you don't want to hear about how your competition does better than you, but rejecting it is detrimental to making emby better.

No emby devs actually addressed what I said, they just stated things that changed over the course of the discussion and in the end said their one size fits all privacy policy for the website also applies to the server and their apps. What they are saying is, we are allowed to collect and share your information, but we aren't, trust us. Which isn't entirely true, as they are admittedly collecting information about the number of people using tv guide data and providing it to GraceNote.

So why not state what you are collecting exactly and who you share it with in a privacy policy for the server and apps? Do you disagree that it's suspect to say, I can collect data, but just trust me I'm not?

that-is-bait.gif.4ca6df3cb50d8fea72cbd65c99d115d2.gif

Lambtalk
17 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

It's a very standard privacy policy. You mustn't work with many businesses if you find it suspect.

Privacy policies only need to get specific when it comes to PII, as that needs to be handled in a whole different manner.

As Emby have explicitly stated to you though, they do not collect personally identifiable information, so there is nothing specific to share in the privacy policy.

21 minutes ago, Lambtalk said:

It's a very standard privacy policy. You mustn't work with many businesses if you find it suspect.

Privacy policies only need to get specific when it comes to PII, as that needs to be handled in a whole different manner.

As Emby have explicitly stated to you though, they do not collect personally identifiable information, so there is nothing specific to share in the privacy policy.

I completely agree, it is a very standard privacy policy. The point I had initially made was that I have never understood why people tend to claim that emby is so much better for privacy than a company that actually took the time to spell out what they are doing and collecting in their privacy policy. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As far as explicitly stating they don't collect personally identifiable information, why not put it in a policy specific to the server and client apps?

46 minutes ago, speechles said:

@speechles While I agree this is funny, maybe as an emby team member you should focus on calming down the person who is actually making personal attacks and using profanity in your forums instead of implying that I should calm down for responding in a calm demeanor. But hey, if the emby team is not open to criticism, then I guess I am just wasting my time here and the forums are all for not?

Edited by lukeoslavia

1 hour ago, lukeoslavia said:

No emby devs actually addressed what I said,

I've addressed it multiple times.

1 hour ago, lukeoslavia said:

So why not state what you are collecting exactly and who you share it with in a privacy policy for the server and apps?

We have a privacy policy for legal reasons. We are an actual business and, thus, must adhere to a higher standard than a project that is using code mostly developed by others.  The existence of this forum on our web domain requires that we have a very broad policy.

This is my final statement on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

TeamB
32 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

@speechles While I agree this is funny, maybe as an emby team member you should focus on calming down the person who is actually making personal attacks and using profanity in your forums instead of implying that I should calm down for responding in a calm demeanor. But hey, if the emby team is not open to criticism, then I guess I am just wasting my time here and the forums are all for not?

i am reasonably sure they were targeting everyone with the calm the $%&# down message, interesting you took it personally.

Edited by TeamB

14 minutes ago, ebr said:

I've addressed it multiple times.

We have a privacy policy for legal reasons. We are an actual business and, thus, must adhere to a higher standard than a project that is using code mostly developed by others.  The existence of this forum on our web domain requires that we have a very broad policy.

This is my final statement on the matter.

@ebr This response seems like its about jellyfin, unless I am mistaken. I have been talking about how Plex actually spells what they are doing and gives users choices, whereas emby doesn't. I never said anything about jellyfin having a better privacy policy than emby, or plex for that matter, or that they had/needed one at all.

I did mention that if its actual privacy one desires, jellyfin would be the one to choose for sure because it is open source and you could check the code for yourself.

If you do not mind making at least one more statement in regards to how or why it is better not to offer the same amount of transparency as Plex in terms of data collection and privacy policies, I would appreciate it.

@TeamB@speechles I simply guessed he was saying it to me as he posting it very quickly after I made a post, if the intent was indeed for everyone, then I apologize, but I feel it was fair to assume that was directed at my post.

OK ok @lukeoslavia For sure you do not want to accept the fact everyone had explain to you, and you keep misleading the fact with all your false indicating of something not there from the start.

Your post now under moderation approval matters, you really force this on your account. 

• Like 3

TeamB
23 minutes ago, Abobader said:

For sure you do not want to accept the fact everyone had explain to you, and you keep misleading the fact with all your false indicating of something not there from the start.

There is a point worth discussing with the privacy notice.

24 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Your post now under moderation approval matters, you really force this on your account. 

Just because someone does not agree with the Emby team or for that matter the community does not mean they should be singled out for moderation actions, I don't actually see any point in this thread that they broke any forum rules, disagreeing with people is not what we should be limiting.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, TeamB said:

disagreeing with people is not what we should be limiting

That indeed not the issue, go re read all his posts and the replies was made to them from everyone.

We always were/still open to discussion even if it against us, but it should be a fact, not a false indicated of something, and no, everything explain to that member in full, so this kind of post do not do anything good to anyone.

TeamB
2 minutes ago, Abobader said:

That indeed not the issue, go re read all his posts and the replies was made to them from everyone.

We always were/still open to discussion even if it against us, but it should be a fact, not a false indicated of something, and no, everything explain to that member in full, so this kind of post do not do anything good to anyone.

I disagree, (ban incoming).

The privacy notice is generic, what they are saying is correct, they just want the specifics of what is being collected and shared.

https://emby.media/privacy.html

I agree and would love to know exactly what is collected and how it is used, but I understand that companies are never going to share that, it would be hard to maintain and really not that useful to 99% of the user base, so the generic privacy statement is what most companies use.

Just now, TeamB said:

I disagree, (ban incoming).

We joking now?

TeamB
Just now, Abobader said:

We joking now?

yes it was a joke...or was it... 🙂

with great power comes great responsibility.

• Haha 1

Just now, Abobader said:

We joking now?

You did ban me...and until I talked to Luke on another account, I couldn't even see the forums anymore...so I think that's a joke worth making. Sorry if I offended anyone, I am requesting my account be deleted now though. I don't like that the line of questions I raised led to this kind of response.

Again sorry to anyone who I might have offended, it wasn't my intention. 

Good luck to all!