Why do you chose Emby over Plex?

Snorbor

bakes82
1 hour ago, Luke said:

When you are looking at the episode list for a season, we do not show S1:E1, we just show 1. <Title>

Sure you do its right here: 

image.png.8397a61cd39778133328e58ae6b0780a.png

image.png.ff669b750da36ab4fb513bb779c7b0b4.png

vs

image.png.c9b123f5479a01876160662c210b641d.png

image.png.0895887a59347826a25e9296a650c985.png

3 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

If you click on a season it will show all the episodes you dont scroll left or right, you scroll up/down.

Same thing in Emby. If you click a season poster, the next screen gives you a vertical list of episodes.

bakes82
2 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Speaking as a big backdrop fan, that can be tidied up a lot IMHO using css, at least on a web page.

Sure, for web, but overall plex UI seems to be consistent across all devices

1 minute ago, Luke said:

In the 4.8 release they are now grouped by series, and yes you can pick whatever default tab you want.

Im using 4.8 ;)

Just now, bakes82 said:

Sure you do its right here: 

image.png.8397a61cd39778133328e58ae6b0780a.png

image.png.ff669b750da36ab4fb513bb779c7b0b4.png

vs

image.png.c9b123f5479a01876160662c210b641d.png

image.png.0895887a59347826a25e9296a650c985.png

In the first example, that is the episode detail screen. Plex is also showing the same info, but they're just showing it differently. They are spelling out Season 1 Episode 1 and we have S1:E1.  Obviously this is a matter of taste but i like what we're doing there.

In the second example, that is the series screen, not the season screen. When there's mulitple seasons I think we should have the S1:E1 there. But when there's only one season, then yes I agree we don't need it and I'll make that change.

Just now, bakes82 said:

Sure, for web, but overall plex UI seems to be consistent across all devices

Im using 4.8 ;)

Great. They are grouped by series now in the Suggestions tab.

bakes82
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Same thing in Emby. If you click a season poster, the next screen gives you a vertical list of episodes.

not on shows with only 1 season it looks like, also thats now a vertical 1 row per line with spoiler description

Just now, bakes82 said:

not on shows with only 1 season it looks like, also thats now a vertical 1 row per line with spoiler description

Have you explored your emby user display settings? If you want season posters, you can still have those. But to me, that's an unneeded extra click that most users prefer to avoid nowadays. But it is all in display settings. You are in complete control.

bakes82
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Great. They are grouped by series now in the Suggestions tab.

this view just shows the latest show to be added, again, plex just does it better, what can I say.  Like plex shows both last added, and last RELEASED as you can add new tv but they can be old.  Emby then takes me to the series, plex takes me to the episode.
image.png.5bfb1789bfbc1045121c6a0bd197ece9.png

image.png.9afccecae6ea37d4885dae67b2fcb9c2.png

bakes82
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

In the first example, that is the episode detail screen. Plex is also showing the same info, but they're just showing it differently. They are spelling out Season 1 Episode 1 and we have S1:E1.  Obviously this is a matter of taste but i like what we're doing there.

And it adds more visual clutter since its not padded and spaced out, the season and episode number have no relevant info per say compared to the title so while plex is showing it, its on a diff row, styled to not distract from the pertinent info.  Plex seems to follow alot of apple styling, lots of padding, make the relevant info bold and the rest let it fade in to the background but still be seen if needed.  Emby is more android, heres all the data, do what you want

justinrh
Just now, Luke said:

We can always add a recently released episodes. No big deal.

Be careful, there, Luke.  😶

Just now, bakes82 said:

And it adds more visual clutter since its not padded and spaced out, the season and episode number have no relevant info per say compared to the title so while plex is showing it, its on a diff row, styled to not distract from the pertinent info.  Plex seems to follow alot of apple styling, lots of padding, make the relevant info bold and the rest let it fade in to the background but still be seen if needed.  Emby is more android, heres all the data, do what you want

That's not true. We take more inspiration from Apple Music and the Apple TV+ app than anything else.

3 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Apple TV+:

image.png

Netflix:

image.png

1 minute ago, bakes82 said:

image.png.5a637f9ce33ed4476b3fab3fd8c0af72.png

That's the episode list screen, not the episode detail screen. Please at least keep the comparisons same screen to same screen.

But yes, look at that apple tv + screenshot, and look at our new designs - very closely matched other than the way they express Episode number.

bakes82
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

But yes, look at that apple tv + screenshot, and look at our new designs - very closely matched other than the way they express Episode number.

Yes, do look, the title not even next to S1:E1  I'd agree the S1:E1 looks pretty bad here too and isn't visually appealing.  But it is slightly better than everything mushed together like in emby.  Also when you pause and goto info the S1E1 is hidden and just shows title, so they arent very consistent either ;)

image.thumb.png.5753f52540c223b4fcae0c892ea7c2c8.png

I really don't know why you think they're mushed together. So they're on the same line and next to each other? big deal. Look at netflix and appletv+ in general with how much info they also cram on one line in some places. (year, rating, etc). Are those mushed together too?

10 minutes ago, Abobader said:

I just hope @Luke Do not actually listen to all these worthless suggestion for the past full page of this thread.

I don't think they're worthless. It's all good feedback.

• Like 1

When a title appears in the topic of a thread like this it isn't a cause for concern really. Plex is ugly. Their spacing is odd. The huge gaps of empty space are concerning. They also make you click that ... button entirely too much on Plex.

The suggestions in this thread hold no more weight than any others. To focus on this thread because of the title is sort of ridiculous. It is okay they are different. It isn't a cookie cutter world. We all have what we like and do not like. You should not think your opinion will be a good idea for everyone else. That your tastes are most important. These things need to be feature requests not inside an "X vs Y" thread because you lose the point.

Emby isn't Plex. It shouldn't try to hard to match what they do. Emby should just copy what is the best from every UI and move in that direction. Not in the direction of directly copying someone else. Leave that to JellyFin to copy everything.

The big difference with Emby is "Your Media, Your Way" and entirely focused in that direction. Plex is "Their media, Our Way" and entirely focused in that direction. The fact Plex hasn't become entirely web based is simply because of time. They will eventually drop that part which caters to home users with a media collection as they cannot advertise on your media and get money.

Edited by speechles
  • Facepalm 1
  • Agree 2

Emby isn't Plex. It shouldn't try to hard to match what they do. Emby should just copy what is the best from every UI and move in that direction.

We don't. Actually I think I just let the cat out of the bag earlier about whose designs I like to take inspiration from the most.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't think they're worthless. It's all good feedback.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

I like to take inspiration from the most.

Well my friend, I drink 2 cups of coffee while I try to reply with correct words, but could not, went admin's some old friends sites, then back with another cup of coffee and still, so I will pass on this.

All I can say, let Emby be only Emby, we have many royal great members were been suggestion a good feedback over the years, btw, this words not towards anyone here, just general "feedback".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1