New Windows App? Beta and Release?

Mahinepua

Mahinepua

Hi Luke,

Is the new windows app in development able to be trialed yet?

Release date before this Christmas do you think?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I must admit that I'm very interested in being able to test the application. And having feedback before the application is released can only be beneficial.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mahinepua said:

Hey Luke, any chance of a beta release to play with over the holidays?

Not sure but we are getting closer.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Mahinepua

Any update on the new release?

How close is close? 

Is a beta version available?

Lee

any news? theater seems to be getting more clunky as time passes. having to manually refresh the framerate is becoming a pain - i can't get that to work whatsoever...

6 hours ago, Lee said:

any news? theater seems to be getting more clunky as time passes. having to manually refresh the framerate is becoming a pain - i can't get that to work whatsoever...

Hi, we're working hard on it. Hopefully we'll have something soon.

• Like 3

Mahinepua

Hi Luke, would a targeted charge or Patreon style approach help with developing Theater and taking it to the next level for us HTPC owners? This funding model might also work across other clients.

Appreciate you are probably working to a budget across a number of Emby clients, for which there are quite a number!

• Like 1

writersblock73
On 1/29/2024 at 4:49 PM, Mahinepua said:

Hi Luke, would a targeted charge or Patreon style approach help with developing Theater and taking it to the next level for us HTPC owners? This funding model might also work across other clients.

Appreciate you are probably working to a budget across a number of Emby clients, for which there are quite a number!

I've also pondered this, since I know my one-time lifetime membership has been spent years ago and I wouldn't mind kicking down more. On a forum, every request has the same volume. Donations tend to make voices louder. I do see a few potential downsides to this approach, however.

1) People who purchased lifetime memberships might mistake the intention. Imagine Reddit or some other social media space filling with angry "We paid for this, and now they won't fix XX and YY without us having to pay more!" 

2) Likewise: "They only fix/add what people bribe them to." Defending against accusations of bribery from those so inclined to pursue them can become an expensive legal headache. So much for your donation! 

3) A total donation pool which amounts to, say, $50 for a feature that actually requires hundreds of hours for several different developers to complete. Donators don't usually see the size of the piggy bank; they just know they threw in $XX and assume many others did the same.

4) Tons of donations for a feature that's actually out of Emby developers' hands. The Xbox app, for example, has been neutered for as long as it has been because Emby didn't have full access from Microsoft. (As far as I know, that's still an issue--but if someone in the know, knows differently, I welcome the correction.)

I'm not an Emby employee--I'm a customer, so take all of that with a grain of salt. If I'm speaking out of turn, I'll suffer no hard feelings for being told so. Still, that's the conclusion I walked away with when the idea crossed my mind. I suppose it all depends on how Emby handled such a thing if they decided it was a good idea.

Mahinepua

The way I'd seeing it working would be pretty simple. 

Users can still request new features as normal but its up to Emby to decide what changes or improvements are made, its simply a method for Luke and the team to move forward with client development minimising any financial constraints.

No one would be forced to contribute.

Cr8iveLosr

Just as I was about to initiate a new thread to vent about the limited options in ET's context menus and settings options, I nearly overlooked this discussion. The release of 4.8 highlights the necessity for ET to undergo a major refresh to address these deficiencies. The timing of such an update remains uncertain, but the urgency for its implementation is clear as you all stated.

let the waiting recommence.....

Edited by Cr8iveLosr

5 minutes ago, Cr8iveLosr said:

Just as I was about to initiate a new thread to vent about the limited options in ET's context menus and settings options, I nearly overlooked this discussion. The release of 4.8 highlights the necessity for ET to undergo a major refresh to address these deficiencies. The timing of such an update remains uncertain, but the urgency for its implementation is clear as you all stated.

let the waiting recommence.....

Hi there, what settings would you like to see?

Cr8iveLosr
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what settings would you like to see?

I would like the Emby Theater to be my primary administrative application in lieu of the web app. However, anything new added for version 4.8 is absent in current dated version of ET.

e.g. User settings missing. Device tab fields absent. A lot wasted real estate in various parts of the app. etc

3 minutes ago, Cr8iveLosr said:

I would like the Emby Theater to be my primary administrative application in lieu of the web app. However, anything new added for version 4.8 is absent in current dated version of ET.

e.g. User settings missing. Device tab fields absent. A lot wasted real estate in various parts of the app. etc

HI, what makes you think these things are missing? They are there.

denz

Can we please first get the guide fixed, the home screen to be updated when you delete recordings, new recordings start. 

I just noticed how Theater missing little things that I have put in Suggestions before. Was watching live tv last week and a new series popped up I go I will record one episode and after watching it will decide. Enjoyed it very much now how to record the series have no idea what channel was it on but have the date so I can go in the guide and find it a week from that date.

I tried to use search got many results oh there it is it says series and it is the first result also noticed there was also another same poster but it had programme underneath but it wasn't next to it selected the first one no option to record go back to search oh there is another poster it has programme underneath hopefully this one is it and it was. This is so cumbersome just to record something but I have buttons like tick and heart that I have no use for are there. In our household recordings are used to watch record delete repeat I would be surprised if it is not like that in many households. In WMC there is a on every series recording series button it is just so intuitive and most important easy. 

pmac
On 08/02/2024 at 20:54, denz said:

I would be surprised if it is not like that in many households

I too would like to see the live tv experience get some love, but I don't think live tv is the main use-case for the majority of Emby users; I would assume most people just use it as a media server for ripped/downloaded movies/tv shows - not as much for live tv/recording.

denz

I think that is why it's being ignored. I have discovered Channels DVR and that is a true and better replacement then WMC. Have been testing it for over a day and a bit and so far so impressed main thing every device I tried it is working 100%. The fast channel change is absolutely joy I have set up many series recordings to make sure everything works this week and if no issue then I will move to it. Live TV part of emby my usage is 97% so you can see why it's important for me. For others Emby is perfect as they don't use live tv part so I fully understand.   

The only downside of Channels DVR is that it doesn't have a windows client so you can't use the WMC remote control which is much quicker than using arrows  

Edited by denz