Setting version defaults when using multiple versions

Mendocinotim

Mendocinotim

Using your guide on how to name and place multi-version movies (shown immediately below), I have determined through tests made by some of my WAN users, and also by myself here at the server location; Using three different platforms (a Roku stick: WAN user, an AppleTV: wired on the LAN, a Roku TV: wired through the LAN, an iPad: wifi on the LAN using both a web browser and the iPad Emby App, a PC: WAN user's web browser, and from a web browser on the iMac server itself).

[BEGIN quote..]

Multi-version movies

Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.

/Movies
  /300 (2006)
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 1080p.mkv
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 1080p-trailer.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 4K.mkv
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 720p.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - extended edition.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - directors cut.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 3D.hsbs.mp4

[END quote]

The result of all these tests shows two important things:

1.  There is no way to specify rules in Emby server for version default settings by the server administrator.

2.  Different versions of the Emby player behave and look differently: in how (or even if) their version information and user-selection choices are presented in the various players.

I would like to ask the Emby devs to consider adding a way to specify DEFAULT rules in Emby server for version default settings for different user types (LAN or WAN) by the server administrator.
These default settings should also be the version used by Emby server's handling of encoding for movies when typically required.

It would also be nice if each user can override the defaults and choose another version, and make this so across all the different player clients out there - this is probably asking too much 😉 (I know) but I just had to bring it up.

Finally, I would like to show an example (via the attached screenshots) of how, when Emby server initially digests the contents of a multi-version movie's folder, how it seems to digest each version according to the sort order visible in the finder at the moment the versions are read into the Server.

Please note the correspondence in the way Emby orders the first and alternate version choices in the two dropdowns shown, and my two favorite sort methods for these two movies in the Finder.  I'm only making a presumption here, as I have not don't enough testing regarding the read-in order of the movie versions at the time Emby server initially reads them in.

Thank you for your time and for Emby in general.
I love this thing - but it can always be improved.

2022-12-23_14-24-25.jpg

Happy2Play

Primary reason it doesn't exist is the player is supposed to automatically pick the most compatible version.

support this request

Edited by Happy2Play

Mendocinotim

I forgot to mention that when the version choice drop down automatically selects the 3d version instead of the HD or 4K every time. Why is that?

My immediate solution is to include all 3d content from their own library, and not include them in the same folder and library as the non-3d content.

BTW - I should have posted this under the already well established thread you indicated above. I just wasn’t sure how to find it at the time, so I started this thread instead. 

Me bad 😝

• Thanks 1