Top Picks support thread

chef

rbjtech

There must be an internal way to do this already - as the likes of favorites, playlists, collections, and more recently, New Releases Row etc, all can reference existing items and present that to the end user without duplicating that item.    All we want (3rd party devs) is to be able to do the same - and use this 'pointer to the item' in our own playlists/libraries/channels etc

I'm hoping the new smart playlists will bring the framework to do it ..  

• Like 3

bakes82
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Why would I want to use Trakt

What’s that have to do with their lists? I’m sure 99% of people don’t care who’s seeing their watch data. Even the plex thing look now, nothing happened.  Everyone still out there using social media which is even worse so crying omg trakt saw I watched rupauls drag race. I’m going to have to kill myself is a stupid argument and in today’s society most people don’t care.  Maybe you are of the older generation.

you can use mdblist also or any other rando api idc I’m just pointing out that manual picking stuff or based off your “few” users isn’t what people want they want this: 

https://trakt.tv/users/maxtrontv/lists/top-20-tv-shows-of-the-week?sort=rank,asc

bakes82
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

There must be an internal way to do this already - as the likes of favorites, playlists, collections, and more recently, New Releases Row etc, all can reference existing items and present that to the end user without duplicating that item.    All we want (3rd party devs) is to be able to do the same - and use this 'pointer to the item' in our own playlists/libraries/channels etc

I'm hoping the new smart playlists will bring the framework to do it ..  

sure maybe by 2027.

Junglejim
3 hours ago, bakes82 said:

What’s that have to do with their lists? I’m sure 99% of people don’t care who’s seeing their watch data. Even the plex thing look now, nothing happened.  Everyone still out there using social media which is even worse so crying omg trakt saw I watched rupauls drag race. I’m going to have to kill myself is a stupid argument and in today’s society most people don’t care.  Maybe you are of the older generation.

you can use mdblist also or any other rando api idc I’m just pointing out that manual picking stuff or based off your “few” users isn’t what people want they want this: 

https://trakt.tv/users/maxtrontv/lists/top-20-tv-shows-of-the-week?sort=rank,asc

What's the point of a list like that if most if not all of the media is not in your library for your users to play?

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 3

bakes82
9 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

What's the point of a list like that if most if not all of the media is not in your library for your users to play?

Who doesn’t have all the top media lol.   Also if you don’t have it in your library you wouldn’t see it because you wouldn’t have ids to match …..  the ability to create collections like this is highly wanted lol. Plex has an entire 3rd party PMM for it they people want them to support emby but they said no.  Who wants a top list of what your users play and most of the time people don’t really share and want these lists because emby doesn’t have discovery like plex does to show them new top media.

• Haha 1

Junglejim
4 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Who doesn’t have all the top media lol.   Also if you don’t have it in your library you wouldn’t see it because you wouldn’t have ids to match …..  the ability to create collections like this is highly wanted lol. Plex has an entire 3rd party PMM for it they people want them to support emby but they said no.  Who wants a top list of what your users play and most of the time people don’t really share and want these lists because emby doesn’t have discovery like plex does to show them new top media.

Not sure who votes on these crap sites but there is only one show there I'd recommend and that's BLUE EYE SAMURAI. It's the only one I'd have in the list..

bakes82

Also you could create your own list and this would also 1000% fix a lot of code and logic issues since it’s pure ID matching, you could use any list creator apis but I know most people use trakt with pmm and what’s requested most

bakes82
9 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Not sure who votes on these crap sites but there is only one show there I'd recommend and that's BLUE EYE SAMURAI. It's the only one I'd have in the list..

Thankfully not you cus I don’t even have that crap download.  It’s was a mdb list no idea what the criteria used was but it was automatic generated so probably IMDb/trakt ratings

Id never watch anything my shared users watch  they watch a bunch of shite marvel crap.

image.thumb.png.4ebcd1312aace3d403c5816542eabd67.png

• Haha 1

Junglejim
12 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Also you could create your own list and this would also 1000% fix a lot of code and logic issues since it’s pure ID matching, you could use any list creator apis but I know most people use trakt with pmm and what’s requested most

I think your getting hung up on the "User Engagement" option of this plugin. Personally I disable that and create my list of top pick manually which is the same as you state above with out having to go to a third party web site to do it!

• Like 2

Junglejim
20 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Except you could get the same functionality with less code that doesn’t needs custom logic which means it’s not breaking in updates, it’s easier to update, and fixes revolve only around if they change how you get associated ids.  I can tell you’re not a developer.  I don’t use the plugin because luke has said it has caused them numerous problems with support questions and db duplication so I don’t really care. I’m just point out that there an alternate easier way with GREATER functionality but seems like you’re opposed so whatever this is why I don’t post my plugins, one of the most toxic communities there is crying about expanding a feature set lol.

Your the only one getting upset and toxic here mate. Grow up, not everyone has to agree with your ideas of how things should work.

If you don't use this plugin why are you posting here? Create your own Tract plugin thread!

• Agree 1

bakes82
3 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Your the only one getting upset and toxic here mate. Grow up, not everyone has to agree with your ideas of how things should work.

If you don't use this plugin why are you posting here? Create your own Tract plugin thread!

I already have my own plugin that does this lol.  Funny how Luke deletes messages when I call out the community lol.  

Edited by bakes82
  • Facepalm 1

kjhedges

I personally would like to see 2 seperate states for this plugin. 1 for Top Picks movies and 1 for Top Picks TV Series.

My current setup is simple. I select the top Movies as like a staff picks. I would like to have more than 9 to select though.

And like I say, A second Top Picks listing seperately for TV Shows would be good fo my setup.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, kjhedges said:

I personally would like to see 2 seperate states for this plugin. 1 for Top Picks movies and 1 for Top Picks TV Series.

My current setup is simple. I select the top Movies as like a staff picks. I would like to have more than 9 to select though.

And like I say, A second Top Picks listing seperately for TV Shows would be good fo my setup.

A quick bit of history for this plugin - it's roots were from the 'Recommendations script/concept' that I did and worked with chef to try and get that into a plugin.  At the time I had no plugin or c# experience.  chef created the admin only portion of added items to a channel in the plugin and display it as a row (which to me is a Spotlight type feature), then came the bells and whistles (the presentation graphics etc).    However vs my original script based version - there is a fundamnental difference -

The ability for USERS to create content on the channel/row - for themselves or for others - in any emby client.

Thus each user gets a personalised 'channel'.   My parents have very different viewing habits to myself for example.   Also nothing to stop there being more than one channel.

Now that playlists are permissioned based, this works even better and I've modified the original script to use this.  Playlists also also now m3u files - easier to work with than XML.

So in the actual example below - the 'Spotlight' row is those items chosen by the Admin or added (if you have permission) to the 'Spotlight' playlist.    The Watch List row is those added to a personal Playlist - but is shared and thus anybody (again, with permission) can add/remove to/from it - as a 'Recommendation'.

So while Top Picks is a great plugin - it doesn't offer the flexibility of being able to add/recommend an item in front of your TV with the remote - you need to be 'in' the Plugin to do anything with it  .. 🤔 and it's the same Top Picks for everyone ..

With 'Smart Playlists' on the way (it's been 8 years since requested.. 🤬) - then maybe we can make those into channels such as this without a back end script - if so - great - but the question on my lips is WHEN ?

image.thumb.png.de703c026f285fdb11ad82dfbcaa8201.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

bakes82
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So while Top Picks is a great plugin - it doesn't offer the flexibility of being able to add/recommend an item in front of your TV with the remote - you need to be 'in' the Plugin to do anything with it  .. 🤔 and it's the same Top Picks for everyone ..

I dont understand this, isnt this just you adding crap to a playlist lol, like whats the point of adding stuff as a playlist as it keeps playing stuff, no thanks.  I much prefer it pulling from a api list that you can configure and that way you can use criteria so it will dynamically update, but my users are more interested in what's new and hot, not what I think might be good, why are the adding stuff to a playlist, just so they can see it on the home screen, I guess in plex thats the "watch list" feature, I also dont use since it doesnt remove items once watched lol.

The plex discover is pretty amazing now days though, so if you click the item it will show you EVERY server its on, and every service you can get it on

image.thumb.png.db0fd6378bd65a6e0fa4db0ed2908e39.pngimage.thumb.png.27da41609055a26cb8c93c0bf73f90d2.png

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

jaycedk

@bakes82You are obviously an PLEX fan boy, trolling this community.

Stick with what you like, and stop you trolling.

bakes82
Just now, jaycedk said:

@bakes82You are obviously an PLEX fan boy, trolling this community.

Stick with what you like, and stop you trolling.

Nah, Ill keep offering up different options, you can just ignore me.

jaycedk

Well create you own plugin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With you knowledge that should be very easily.

1 minute ago, bakes82 said:

Nah, Ill keep offering up different options, you can just ignore me.

bakes82
Just now, jaycedk said:

Well create you own plugin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With you knowledge that should be very easily.

I already have my own plugins that do this lol, Im point out improvements for @chefand @rbjtechsince they arent professional developers.  And all youre are doing is crying over suggestions, no wonder no one wants to make plugins for this community any more lol, so bad.

• Facepalm 1
  • Disagree 1

chef

Hey it's all good guys! Let's keep goin in a positive direction.

I fixed the season issue, and I think that there is merit to the addition of trakt info.

Right now we are using community ratings, which I believe are a tvdb thing, but if the lists changes by swapping trakt data into the engagement calculation, then let's try it out.

I'm game.

I'll give it a go tonight.

Perhaps if the lists change enough we can have the top picks swap out during the week. 

• Like 2

chef

Actually, that is something that top picks isn't calculating. It isn't calculating trending items from external sources, it is calculating trending items on the server.

Because of the small sample size of some severs, it is probabaly best to collect information about trending media from external sources.

• Like 3

Ninko

@chefmaybe have a user option, that way people can pick which source is used for calculating the list?

• Agree 1

chef
9 minutes ago, Ninko said:

@chefmaybe have a user option, that way people can pick which source is used for calculating the list?

Yes, let's try to integrate multiple sources. I think we can legally use tvdb, tmdb, and trakt data.

• Agree 1

Zhalianna
3 hours ago, chef said:

Actually, that is something that top picks isn't calculating. It isn't calculating trending items from external sources, it is calculating trending items on the server.

Because of the small sample size of some severs, it is probabaly best to collect information about trending media from external sources.

I was originally under the impression it was doing this, which is why I went forth with the plugin. so if you can implement this, that will be awesome! 

If not too much to ask if the trend is not on your server, it skips it and pull next one on the server...that way it becomes trending picks on your server based on external activities vs internal. For someone like myself who only shares this with one other person, it didn't provide too much value due to the limitation...so I never went through the full purchase 

Either way, I appreciate your effort!