Top Picks support thread

chef

chef
15 hours ago, Kyrunner said:

just on the top picks library? or all movie libraries  

on the entire library :) 

kjhedges
Just now, chef said:

could you please run a library scan. then let me know if the library populated.

Will do, will post back when it completed library scan,  large library so large scan.

• Thanks 1

kjhedges

Well, that didnt take as long as I thought it would, and we have good news here.

top-picks1.thumb.png.2c6a874686b20c11e0a6c5eb8da93589.png

Populated and displaying perfectly.

I appreciate your work put into this. A great plugin.

keemy

Is there a way to prevent the top pick item from displaying twice in 'continue watching' or still no workarounds?

• Agree 1

woenk

ok...User engagement seems to be working again, but somehow It only get the same stuff presented.... can remember that deleteing stuff did not show them again (except the manually chosen things)....any idea?

Zander3768

Hello,

Has anyone else had an issue where your top picks library user access is not working using the updated plugin version?

• I uninstalled the top picks plugin and removed the dir under /var/lib/emby/data/top-picks (since it didn't remove itself after uninstalling the plugin)
  • scanned library
  • restarted emby
  • installed top picks plugin
  • restarted emby
  • verified proper permissions are set on top-picks dir
  • scanned library
  • set movies for top picks
  • updated top picks and ran the library scan again
  • movie cover art displays the "top pick" image and the dir /var/lib/emby/data/top-picks contains the directories for the movies
    image.png.be097642c734b4b93d5fef0d1f62fc7b.png

However now when I set Top Picks "Enable All Users" it shows the library for users but the library says "No items found".
image.png.b96fe249264f036a6f211fdadf1b06b7.png
image.png.9d4adb7d3d240a911f993f49132e3948.png

I noticed on the Users > Access page, the Top Picks library is checked however the path is not checked. When I put a check mark there & save, it doesn't save that was checked and in fact removes the check mark for the Top Picks library all together & removes it from all of my users as simultaneously at the same time. I tried again with "Enable All Users" disabled, then going to Users > Access and checking both, and again, it does not remember my checked settings no matter what I try to do.
image.png.c596268587c2b0ec87a1fa57c181b630.png
image.png.3a594859246a9efe095944792c27346e.png

I watched the log file with tail -f /var/lib/emby/logs/embyserver.txt while doing this process and it appeared to be working properly creating the filepaths and such without spitting any errors in the process.

I rebooted the entire server, did another library scan while watching the logs & still have the same results.

Is there something simple I might be missing here?

Thanks

chef
4 hours ago, keemy said:

Is there a way to prevent the top pick item from displaying twice in 'continue watching' or still no workarounds?

Unfortunately not ,😔. It's been requests many times but there isn't anything to can do about it. Sorry. 

• Like 2

chef
28 minutes ago, woenk said:

ok...User engagement seems to be working again, but somehow It only get the same stuff presented.... can remember that deleteing stuff did not show them again (except the manually chosen things)....any idea?

Because we calculate engagement stats on media item community ratings, as well as what has been watched between users on the server, it is absolutely possible to have the list generate the same thing repeatedly.

Give it a couple days, by that point new items will have been added, and users will have watched items as well. 

That should change the stats, and a new list will list likely be generated.

I hope that helps. 

chef
16 minutes ago, Zander3768 said:

Hello,

Has anyone else had an issue where your top picks library user access is not working using the updated plugin version?

• I uninstalled the top picks plugin and removed the dir under /var/lib/emby/data/top-picks (since it didn't remove itself after uninstalling the plugin)
  • scanned library
  • restarted emby
  • installed top picks plugin
  • restarted emby
  • verified proper permissions are set on top-picks dir
  • scanned library
  • set movies for top picks
  • updated top picks and ran the library scan again
  • movie cover art displays the "top pick" image and the dir /var/lib/emby/data/top-picks contains the directories for the movies
    image.png.be097642c734b4b93d5fef0d1f62fc7b.png

However now when I set Top Picks "Enable All Users" it shows the library for users but the library says "No items found".
image.png.b96fe249264f036a6f211fdadf1b06b7.png
image.png.9d4adb7d3d240a911f993f49132e3948.png

I noticed on the Users > Access page, the Top Picks library is checked however the path is not checked. When I put a check mark there & save, it doesn't save that was checked and in fact removes the check mark for the Top Picks library all together & removes it from all of my users as simultaneously at the same time. I tried again with "Enable All Users" disabled, then going to Users > Access and checking both, and again, it does not remember my checked settings no matter what I try to do.
image.png.c596268587c2b0ec87a1fa57c181b630.png
image.png.3a594859246a9efe095944792c27346e.png

I watched the log file with tail -f /var/lib/emby/logs/embyserver.txt while doing this process and it appeared to be working properly creating the filepaths and such without spitting any errors in the process.

I rebooted the entire server, did another library scan while watching the logs & still have the same results.

Is there something simple I might be missing here?

Thanks

Interesting. 

After selecting the option to set top picks for all users, if you run the scheduled task again, does the library populated correctly?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Edited by chef

Zander3768

After selecting the option to set top picks for all users, if you run the scheduled task again, does the library populated correctly?

yes. It does actually. I just experimented myself with creating my own library manually and using the top-picks filepath. I am able to see all of the top picks movies in there but not the library created by the plugin (if that makes sense).

image.png.bcbfa0b56ee7f53f85303c759275d4ab.pngimage.png.aed6d2a48937bb696c7b100ce659eb4a.png

• Like 1

Zander3768

@chefI got it working. So i did something similar to what I just did a minute ago. I just deleted the library Top Picks, Recreated a library titled Top Picks, ran the "update top picks" and a library scan and its working. I'm thinking maybe the library was just left over still from the previous install of the plugin & for some reason didn't get fully in-sync somewhere with the updates. But it is working now.

• Like 1

Darkseidd

would like to ask successful tester out there -

does top pick still list down all episodes for tv shows?

example Law & Order SVU..it have 500+ episodes, generating top picks for L & O will take hellalot minutes previously, because top picks parsing every single episode in the top picks library.

rbjtech
10 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

would like to ask successful tester out there -

does top pick still list down all episodes for tv shows?

example Law & Order SVU..it have 500+ episodes, generating top picks for L & O will take hellalot minutes previously, because top picks parsing every single episode in the top picks library.

Yes it does - it needs to create a strm file for every episode.    So for a long running, multi season show such as Law & Order - making that a top pick may take a while ..

I've also just noticed that it's not doing this properly anyway - it appears to be repeating Season 1... ?

@chefis there a way to link to just the 'show' or better still maybe just the 'season' and point to only the first episode in that season ?

As an example, new season of Halo is available - so I select to Halo Season 2 as the Top Pick - which actually points to just s02e01 - which should be enough anyway.

Once a user has selected a TV show 'top pick' then it will appear in their 'continue watching anyway' so they can continue watching that way ?

• Agree 2

chef
11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yes it does - it needs to create a strm file for every episode.    So for a long running, multi season show such as Law & Order - making that a top pick may take a while ..

I've also just noticed that it's not doing this properly anyway - it appears to be repeating Season 1... ?

@chefis there a way to link to just the 'show' or better still maybe just the 'season' and point to only the first episode in that season ?

As an example, new season of Halo is available - so I select to Halo Season 2 as the Top Pick - which actually points to just s02e01 - which should be enough anyway.

Once a user has selected a TV show 'top pick' then it will appear in their 'continue watching anyway' so they can continue watching that way ?

Okay.

But wait..  top picks is recreating season 1 repeatedly, or it only creates season 1?

Junglejim
19 hours ago, rbjtech said:

is there a way to link to just the 'show' or better still maybe just the 'season' and point to only the first episode in that season ?

I like this idea. Just link to the show and let the user decide where to start watching.

Dicken

Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, things are working again for me now.

I just don't fully understand the setting options yet. How do the three hooks have to be set correctly so that I only take into account what I see and not. So that no new films appear in the list that no one has seen yet. Is my selection here correct?

grafik.png.cb9447d15ed55c547badf826e8916dee.png

Junglejim
2 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I like this idea. Just link to the show and let the user decide where to start watching.

mmm 🤔 I don't think this will work.. Hopefully I'm wrong but if this plugin is based on what I think it is (trailers) it would need a file to play not a folder. 😕 Maybe @chef?

If not that's all good. :)

rbjtech
10 hours ago, chef said:

Okay.

But wait..  top picks is recreating season 1 repeatedly, or it only creates season 1?

It appears to be yes.

Looking at the filtered log (attached), if you look at 10:10:10.397 / Line 163 - you can see it attempting to process season 2 of Gotham - and while it has the correct 'name' its season and episode are from Season 1.     The result is the strm is from season 1 again.   Same for all Seasons.

Extract below with annotation..

Let me know if I can help :)

2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Nfo serialization C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x22 - All Happy Families are Alike.nfo successful.  <---------------- last of season 1 - this is ok
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: File name: Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do <-------------- should be season 2 - name ok, but season and episode are not ..
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Episode name parse successful : Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Episode Full path: C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.strm <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Creating C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.strm successful. <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.473 Info Top Picks: Locating episode .nfo file \\media\TV Series\Gotham (2014) [tvdbID=274431]\Season 2\Gotham (2014) - s02e01 - Rise of the Villains - Damned If You Do - HDTV-720p.nfo... <---------- this is correct (s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.474 Info Top Picks: Found \\media\TV Series\Gotham (2014) [tvdbID=274431]\Season 2\Gotham (2014) - s02e01 - Rise of the Villains - Damned If You Do - HDTV-720p.nfo, preparing serialization...  <---------- this is correct (s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.509 Info Top Picks: Nfo serialization C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.nfo successful. <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.509 Info Top Picks: File name: Gotham - 1x02 - Rise of the Villains Knock, Knock <---------- next episode, correct name, wrong season .. (should be s02)

top-picks-tv.txt

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

mmm 🤔 I don't think this will work.. Hopefully I'm wrong but if this plugin is based on what I think it is (trailers) it would need a file to play not a folder. 😕 Maybe @chef?

If not that's all good. :)

Correct, you would have to point to the episodes in just that season - but after that, top picks (for TV series) serves no further purpose because you are already watching it (assumed you clicked play) and it would appear in your 'continue watching' row.

Showing only an individual Season would also be great - because you could 'top pick' a new Season of an existing show.

So taking an extreme example - Law and Order SVU - now in it's 25th Season - I actually want to top pick Season 25 only, I don't want to just highlight the entire show.   If people want to watch from s01e01 - they can of course just click the show to do that.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

chef
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It appears to be yes.

Looking at the filtered log (attached), if you look at 10:10:10.397 / Line 163 - you can see it attempting to process season 2 of Gotham - and while it has the correct 'name' its season and episode are from Season 1.     The result is the strm is from season 1 again.   Same for all Seasons.

Extract below with annotation..

Let me know if I can help :)

2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Nfo serialization C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x22 - All Happy Families are Alike.nfo successful.  <---------------- last of season 1 - this is ok
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: File name: Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do <-------------- should be season 2 - name ok, but season and episode are not ..
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Episode name parse successful : Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Episode Full path: C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.strm <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.397 Info Top Picks: Creating C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.strm successful. <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.473 Info Top Picks: Locating episode .nfo file \\media\TV Series\Gotham (2014) [tvdbID=274431]\Season 2\Gotham (2014) - s02e01 - Rise of the Villains - Damned If You Do - HDTV-720p.nfo... <---------- this is correct (s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.474 Info Top Picks: Found \\media\TV Series\Gotham (2014) [tvdbID=274431]\Season 2\Gotham (2014) - s02e01 - Rise of the Villains - Damned If You Do - HDTV-720p.nfo, preparing serialization...  <---------- this is correct (s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.509 Info Top Picks: Nfo serialization C:\Emby-Server\programdata\data\top-picks\Gotham (2014)\Season 1\Gotham - 1x01 - Rise of the Villains Damned If You Do.nfo successful. <---------- incorrect (should be s02)
2024-02-22 10:10:10.509 Info Top Picks: File name: Gotham - 1x02 - Rise of the Villains Knock, Knock <---------- next episode, correct name, wrong season .. (should be s02)

top-picks-tv.txt 556.58 kB · 1 download

Thanks I'll take a look this morning. 

chef

That's strange, for some reason my episode query looked back at the series instead of the season...

why would I do that? 🤷

I think I fixed the issue... I'm testing it out. 

• Like 1

bakes82
8 hours ago, chef said:

That's strange, for some reason my episode query looked back at the series instead of the season...

why would I do that? 🤷

I think I fixed the issue... I'm testing it out. 

Why don’t you just build what everyone wants. You put in a trakt list url and it uses that as the source?  It would solve a lot of the complicated logic you have and I’d assume most people just want the most downloaded watched weekly lists.  It’s really easy to do with the trakt api and you have the logic to make the channels you just match by the IMDb/tvdbid.

I did something similar for collections using the mdb api.  Since luke said making channels was bad for the database as it duplicates the entries and such.

image.thumb.png.4bcd4e3aa7689bd31ca33d2f0ccc5ffb.png

image.thumb.png.77d83871203aa32e58c525fda5d954d3.png

• Like 2

rbjtech
10 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Why don’t you just build what everyone wants. You put in a trakt list url and it uses that as the source?  It would solve a lot of the complicated logic you have and I’d assume most people just want the most downloaded watched weekly lists.  It’s really easy to do with the trakt api and you have the logic to make the channels you just match by the IMDb/tvdbid.

Why would I want to use Trakt ? - this is no better than plex as it's capturing all your watch data... no thanks.

Since luke said making channels was bad for the database as it duplicates the entries and such.

Agree here - I believe 'smart play/watch lists' are on the Horizon (hopefully with an API to make our own) - but this fundamental 'media hub' functionality has been missing for so long, that workarounds are the only solution .. if Luke doesn't like us doing it - then maybe provide an acceptable way to do it .. 🤪  

• Agree 3

Dicken

I did something similar for collections using the mdb api.

This looks great. Would you share this?

• Like 1

woenk
56 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Why would I want to use Trakt ? - this is no better than plex as it's capturing all your watch data... no thanks.

Agree here - I believe 'smart play/watch lists' are on the Horizon (hopefully with an API to make our own) - but this fundamental 'media hub' functionality has been missing for so long, that workarounds are the only solution .. if Luke doesn't like us doing it - then maybe provide an acceptable way to do it .. 🤪  

Also agree, databases are the only places where one really does not want redundancies in it... double entries are allways bad and really hard to get rid of.