1.3.3 Subtitle Problem

Painkiller8818

SamES

Thanks. 

When do you think this problem started, or when do you think this was last working correctly?  There really hasn't been any changes to the player in the client app for several months, so it is a bit strange.

Can you post the media info for that file and I'll try and find something similar to test this?

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Thanks. 

When do you think this problem started, or when do you think this was last working correctly?  There really hasn't been any changes to the player in the client app for several months, so it is a bit strange.

Can you post the media info for that file and I'll try and find something similar to test this?

hm hard to say as i have a lot movies where no forced subtitles are, but if you could sign me a package from 1.3.1 or 1.3.0 with a new certificate timestamp so i can install an older version and test it.

Should not be more than 2-3 versions back i think.

Assassins Creed 4K.txt Fate - Winx Saga S01E03.txt

FrostByte

There's one out there from 2 years ago if you want to test that.  It has a warning, but it was compiled before Samsung started disabling the app.

• Like 1

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

There's one out there from 2 years ago if you want to test that.  It has a warning, but it was compiled before Samsung started disabling the app.

i thought we wanted to find the latest version where it worked, so i think a 2 year old version doesn't help us here.

• Like 1

SamES
32 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i thought we wanted to find the latest version where it worked, so i think a 2 year old version doesn't help us here.

If it works, then it means it's not a server issue, if it doesn't then it must be a server change that's caused it.

Worth a try as it will narrow this down to a server or client issue.

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, SamES said:

If it works, then it means it's not a server issue, if it doesn't then it must be a server change that's caused it.

Worth a try as it will narrow this down to a server or client issue.

ok yes i can try, but i can say this is just happening on samsung, emby on a browser works.

where can i find the old version?

Painkiller8818

@SamES i installed the old emby version and tried the same files as before.

Winx Sage E03 -> no arabic subtitles this time

Assassin's Creed 4K with German DTS Audio and german forced subs -> subs display english as before (1st lang in file)
Assassin's Creed 4K with English AC3 and german forced subs -> Subs does not appear -> jump forward 30 secs-> subs suddenly appear now and are german as expected, but does not disappear till the next shows up, if it is the last sub sentence, sub stays forever.

So maybe there is something with the server version but strange it just affects Samsung App, no problems on the browser. (not sure maybe others also reported problems with subs)

Hope i could help.

Edited by Painkiller8818

Painkiller8818

so if someone has the movie Assassins Creed in 4k or normal it is a perfect movie to test, as the subtitles should be right at the beginning of the movie where the first Text shows up (for every lang except english)  and the first things they talk are spanish so also forced subs should kick in.

Edited by Painkiller8818

Painkiller8818

UPDATE: installed actual Emby App again.

This Subtitle problem does appear on a lot new movies, also movies with just 2-3 subtitles so it is not a problem of too many subs.

The movie i am actually watching does just have 3 subs and the forced subs do just flash up for half a second and disappear like already mentioned above.

SamES

Has your TV had a firmware update recently?  What is your current firmware version?

Just so that we can focus on one issue at a time (as it sounds like you are seeing a few different things), what issue do you currently have with Assassin's Creed, and what is the playback method?  You might have to give me a sample.  Thanks

Painkiller8818
9 minutes ago, SamES said:

Has your TV had a firmware update recently?  What is your current firmware version?

Just so that we can focus on one issue at a time (as it sounds like you are seeing a few different things), what issue do you currently have with Assassin's Creed, and what is the playback method?  You might have to give me a sample.  Thanks

My TV (Q90R) is on version 1401 which is the latest FW.

Assassins Creed 4K with German DTS is doing Audio Transcoding, you already got the infos for this above
Assassins Creed 4K with English AC3 is full direct play

SamES
2 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

My TV (Q90R) is on version 1401 which is the latest FW.

Doing you think the issues started after this version was installed?  According to this website, 1401 was released this month

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/tv-firmware-changelogs-on-german-community/td-p/1846870

Interestingly, another user has similar issue with subtitles staying visible and not clearing, and has the same model/year TV with 1401 firmware

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Doing you think the issues started after this version was installed?  According to this website, 1401 was released this month

i can't say it for sure but it could be possible

Painkiller8818

The Firmware changelog does not give many infos about subtitle changes:

Update version 1401.0 - August 2022

General improvements
Adaptation of the DRM
Improvement of the display
Improved interaction with Playstation5

5 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

The Firmware changelog does not give many infos about subtitle changes:

Update version 1401.0 - August 2022

General improvements
Adaptation of the DRM
Improvement of the display
Improved interaction with Playstation5

That doesn't mean there aren't changes though.

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Possible yes, so if so, what are you gonna do to fix it for Samsung users?

Any Plans or is this something we have to live with now? 

Thanks 

If we determine that it's isolated to this firmware revision, then we'll report it to Samsung.

SamES
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes, those firmware summaries are fairly vague, and this is the only place I've ever seen them listed (which I only found recently)

The two immediate issues are that to report it to Samsung, if we can prove that is the case, they will want a sample app to demonstrate the issue.  The second issue is without me having an equivalent model TV with the same firmware I can't easily reproduce this issue or write an app to prove it.

If we can find another user with the same model that hasn't had the firmware upgraded then we could get them to confirm, but that might be unlikely due to auto updates, and they probably won't be willing to upgrade to a version that breaks things.

I can only guess at what I think may have changed, so I can possibly modify my existing sample app and have you test it.  I can also try and test a few theories on what I think may have changed to see if we can add a fix.

Painkiller8818
16 hours ago, SamES said:

I can only guess at what I think may have changed, so I can possibly modify my existing sample app and have you test it.  I can also try and test a few theories on what I think may have changed to see if we can add a fix.

This would be great. 

I can test a few things 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Painkiller8818

The problem is not fixed with 1.3.4

No Problems with Amazon Prime Video or Netflix directly on the same TV

Edited by Painkiller8818

On 29/08/2022 at 07:10, SamES said:

Please try the next USB release.  It should fix the issue with subs not disappearing.  I have found a way to get around this firmware change

• Like 1

Painkiller8818
21 hours ago, SamES said:

Please try the next USB release.  It should fix the issue with subs not disappearing.  I have found a way to get around this firmware change

thanks i will test it and report the results

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818

@SamES

Version 1.3.5

Subtitle do now appear and disappear but still not in the correct language.

Assassins Creed is showing ENG Subs as it is the first lang but i selected german forced

FrostByte
On 9/11/2022 at 6:59 AM, SamES said:

Please try the next USB release. 

Version 1.3.5 was already released when SamES mentioned that.  So he's probably saying he's already made the fix and whenever Luke compiles the "next" release 1.3.6 you should have it.

• Like 2