1.3.3 Subtitle Problem

Painkiller8818

Painkiller8818
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Please try the 1.3.6 update that just went up and let us know how that compares. Thanks.

Subtitles are still in the wrong language.

I am still testing with Assassins Creed 4K which as about 9 Subs and ENG is the first one, i selected german forced but they show up in english if they talk in an foreign language.
And the subtitles does no longer disappear now till the next sub shows up. <- this worked with 1.3.5 already 

Painkiller8818

UPDATE:

i started both the 4K and the non 4K Version of this movie 3 times now.

Subs in correct language are working for the NON 4K but not for the 4K Version (the 4K version takes the 1st available).

Subs does not disappear in both Versions.

I add the media Infos of both files, maybe you can see why 4k may be different.

Assassins Creed 4K.txt Assassins Creed.txt

Painkiller8818
6 hours ago, SamES said:

When you playback the 4K version, which audio track are you selecting?

the german DTS

4 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

the german DTS

I expect that it is DirectStreaming.

Can you please try an AC3 track which should cause it to DirectPlay?  Please let me know if the subs or the same or better.  Thanks

Painkiller8818
On 9/14/2022 at 11:39 PM, SamES said:

I expect that it is DirectStreaming.

Can you please try an AC3 track which should cause it to DirectPlay?  Please let me know if the subs or the same or better.  Thanks

Tried this now with 1.3.7

Subs are still flickering (showing up for half a second and disappear)
I am now using the eng AC3 and everything is direct play.

So the Problem is not fixed.

Uploaded a video where you can see it

image.png.06e0cdb443151ec28d4e7752159a89f0.png

Also new playback problems appear with this version, but maybe i should make a new thread for them.

• Agree 1

Select25

I can confirm the same problem as the User above me. Also discovered some more major Problem with 1.3.7 and subtitles. After I forward my Episode with Subtitels the Screen starts flickering Black every Time a new sub is showing up. Made me switching back to 1.3.6 and the problem is gone. 

TV: SAMS GQ-55Q6F

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Subs are still flickering (showing up for half a second and disappear)
I am now using the eng AC3 and everything is direct play.

Can you please confirm the subtitle format in your video.  Is this an internal subrip, external srt or something else?

Painkiller8818
15 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you please confirm the subtitle format in your video.  Is this an internal subrip, external srt or something else?

internal subrip, you have both mediainfos attached a few posts above.

Thanks.  I think the timing for your subs must be in seconds, not milliseconds.  For example, I expect to see 3000 (milliseconds) but I get 3 (seconds).  The result is I'm only showing them for 3 milliseconds, not 3 seconds!!

@Painkiller8818The next USB release should have some additional debug in stats for nerds.  When it's available, can you please turn on stats for nerds and take a short video of the playback so I can confirm what Samsung have changed.  Thanks

• Like 1

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Thanks.  I think the timing for your subs must be in seconds, not milliseconds.  For example, I expect to see 3000 (milliseconds) but I get 3 (seconds).  The result is I'm only showing them for 3 milliseconds, not 3 seconds!!

but this is not a new movie, and i have this problem on many movies, also new movies from netflix, and if i start the same movie on netflix it is working.

So 1 movie could have some wrong sub timing infos, but in this case it is a movie i watched 4 times and it was working, so i can say for sure, the timing in this movie is correct.

6 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

but this is not a new movie, and i have this problem on many movies, also new movies from netflix, and if i start the same movie on netflix it is working.

So 1 movie could have some wrong sub timing infos, but in this case it is a movie i watched 4 times and it was working, so i can say for sure, the timing in this movie is correct.

Yes, it appears that Samsung has made a change in a recent firmware update as several people are now seeing this and it is operating differently to previous versions.

13 hours ago, SamES said:

@Painkiller8818The next USB release should have some additional debug in stats for nerds.  When it's available, can you please turn on stats for nerds and take a short video of the playback so I can confirm what Samsung have changed.  Thanks

This is in the 1.3.8 update that just went up.

Marcus1305

I just tested 1.3.8 . Internal subtitles (SubRip) are still flickering.

Subtitle Debug

1: 2/2/Emb/English (SUBRIP)

2: 2/Sub:0/SI:2/Emb/English (SUBRIP)/SI:2

3: 0 | | 0 |

Edited by Marcus1305

Can I please get a video, about 15-20 seconds where subtitles are trying to be displayed and Stats for Nerds is visible.  Thanks

Marcus1305

Video: https://streamable.com/9wh6uq

The bug is tricky to reproduce because it is random. In my case, it happens most often when I play a movie/tv show episode with internal(subrip) subtitles for the first time. Exiting and playing again several times usually solves the problem. Other possible outcomes besides this flickering are that subtitles appear in wrong language or not appear at all.

Edited by Marcus1305

2 hours ago, Marcus1305 said:

Video: https://streamable.com/9wh6uq

The bug is tricky to reproduce because it is random. In my case, it happens most often when I play a movie/tv show episode with internal(subrip) subtitles for the first time. Exiting and playing again several times usually solves the problem. Other possible outcomes besides this flickering are that subtitles appear in wrong language or not appear at all.

Thanks for the video.  I think I might need to make a change as it's not showing what we want.

I'm curious about this comment

2 hours ago, Marcus1305 said:

Exiting and playing again several times usually solves the problem.

So exiting and trying the same file again sometimes work and subs play correctly?  If you can make this happen, can you please make another video with stats for nerds on?

Marcus1305

In 1.3.9 update subtitle behavior is changed a little bit. When I play an episode for the first time with subtitles, they don't appear at all, when I change the subtitle (language) while watching without exiting, the subtitles start flickering, in whatever subtitle language I set them. When I exit the episode and play it again that subtitle language I selected doesn't work until I change the subtitle language while watching then the subtitles work and I can go back to the first language I selected. 

Edited by Marcus1305

What you are seeing is unusual in that it you are seeing so many variations on this issue.  I have moved the debug to capture to subtitle detail at a different stage, but other than that, nothing else has changed in this version.

If possible, can you please get video showing what you describe above.  If you must do it in several goes that's fine, just try and keep stats for nerds in view for me.  Thanks

Painkiller8818

is it possible we are searching at the wrong place?

Could it be, this samsung firmware update needs the emby server to change the way subs are presented?

We are searching the problem in the client but maybe it is the way the emby server serves the subs is no longer good enough for this samsung firmware (the kind of burn in or whatever happens)??

Good  suggestion. For internal subs that are supported by the player such as subrip, the server just serves the whole file unmodified if all of the streams are direct playable. That is why we are trying to solve it in the client. 

While the server could extract the subs and serve them separately, there is an overhead to that. 

The last observation by Marcus1305 is an interesting one, and if I can get a recording showing this behaviour then I think we’re close to solving this. 

Painkiller8818

i will do another try, i use my assassins creed 4k which makes more problems than normal 1080p and extract the subs to .srt and will check what happens.

As far as i know srt is one of the only sub formats a samsung can handle without doing any transcoding/modifications to the subs