1.3.3 Subtitle Problem

Painkiller8818

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

As far as i know srt is one of the only sub formats a samsung can handle without doing any transcoding/modifications to the subs

There should be a section in the back of your user's manual with a list of internal and external subs supported.

I've played around with formatting .ass subs some and they work well.

image.png.54cfb3aff5682ec3ea40d3325f16d955.png

Painkiller8818

I did another test with the 1.3.9 version and assassins creed.

The 4k, still hast the flickering problem and the normal 1080p is playing the subs fine (even if the 1080p just has DTS audio) for the 4k i selected eng ac3 with german forced subs.

Screens here:

4K:

image.thumb.png.0347abcd90af77c76c87626d8773226a.png

1080p:

image.thumb.png.814447a91a5b5d51f36e4ae728839425.png

37 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

The 4k, still hast the flickering problem and the normal 1080p is playing the subs fine (even if the 1080p just has DTS audio) for the 4k i selected eng ac3 with german forced subs.

Thanks that's great info.  Any chance you could do a 15 seconds video showing the 4K playback with SFN on and the subs flickering? 

Painkiller8818
3 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks that's great info.  Any chance you could do a 15 seconds video showing the 4K playback with SFN on and the subs flickering? 

Done.

it is a bit longer (53 secs) but watch till the end when i jump back for 30 secs and it works fine.
So i think it is the server, not the client, but just guessing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

it is a bit longer (53 secs) but watch till the end when i jump back for 30 secs and it works fine.

Thanks, that's perfect.  Jumping back is great and shows the inconsistency.

Let me see what I can come up with. 

For DirectPlay, it's all in the client.  For internal subs we normally take the timing events directly from the player to show and hide the sub. As you can see from your video, it's inconsistent.  After you skip back it works the correct way, but not initially.  I have some thoughts on how we can work around this.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2022 at 02:15, Painkiller8818 said:

@Painkiller8818, can you please repeat this video using 1.4.1?  I'm surprised this is still an issue considering the changes made in 1.4.1 to resolve this.  Thanks

Painkiller8818
On 9/29/2022 at 11:08 PM, SamES said:

can you please repeat this video using 1.4.1?  I'm surprised this is still an issue considering the changes made in 1.4.1 to resolve this.  Thanks

sure, will repeat it when i am home again.

Meanwhile the server updated, hope this is not a problem.

SamES
48 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

sure, will repeat it when i am home again.

Meanwhile the server updated, hope this is not a problem.

No, all good.  Thanks

Painkiller8818

So, i did the test, and the 4K with ENG AC3 Audio with german forced subs looks fine, i tested it 3 times and it worked 3 times.

I switched to GER DTS with german forced subs, and it does not show german subs, it stays on english as it is the fists sub in the file.

I also tested the non 4K 1080p version with German DTS and german forced subs, this worked fine.

So for now it seems the sub flickering has gone but taking the correct sub is not fixed. (Even if the info shows it should be german subs it displays the eng subs)

Both 4K tests attached.

SamES

Thanks, can you attach the ffmpeg and server log for the German DTS playback?

Great to know that the flickering subs are fixed.

Is it correct to say that with DirectPlay this is working fine, but with HLS/DirectStreaming playback the subs are wrong?

I have another user that seems to have the same problem, but I can't reproduce it yet

@Marcus1305, can you please double check you are definitely using 1.4.1?  I'm fairly sure you shouldn't be seeing flickering subs now

On 29/09/2022 at 23:52, Marcus1305 said:

The problem with internal subtitles still exists on 1.4.1

Painkiller8818
17 minutes ago, SamES said:

Is it correct to say that with DirectPlay this is working fine, but with HLS/DirectStreaming playback the subs are wrong?

for now i can say yes, it seems so, but as i watch a lot movies i will keep an eye on it for the next 2-3 days and report the results

Requested logs attached, serverlog is not just this test, as i haven't restarted the server, but the 4k dts test and the normal 1080p are the latest in the log.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-6c722d5a-b23b-418f-813a-bb5428aed4e4_1.txt

• Like 1

Marcus1305
9 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks, can you attach the ffmpeg and server log for the German DTS playback?

Great to know that the flickering subs are fixed.

I have another user that seems to have the same problem, but I can't reproduce it yet

@Marcus1305, can you please double check you are definitely using 1.4.1?  I'm fairly sure you shouldn't be seeing flickering subs now

I am using 1.4.1. Subs no longer have problems with flickering and aren't displayed until next one appears. The problem I was referring to is the one in which the initially selected subtitles do not appear at all until you change to internal subtitle of another language, then all the subtitles start to work.

• Like 1

SamES

Thanks for confirming. At least we have that problem fixed, now we can work on the next issue. 

• Like 1

EveMene

Like Marcus1305 i can confirm that the flickering thing has disappeared with the latest 1.4.1 version of the app. 

Thank you for the work done.

• Like 1

Painkiller8818

@SamES should we stay in this thread for the last problem or should we start another one and close this one?

SamES
3 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

@SamES should we stay in this thread for the last problem or should we start another one and close this one?

I'm happy to keep it in this one.   I think this is actually the same issue

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2022 at 08:48, Marcus1305 said:

I am using 1.4.1. Subs no longer have problems with flickering and aren't displayed until next one appears. The problem I was referring to is the one in which the initially selected subtitles do not appear at all until you change to internal subtitle of another language, then all the subtitles start to work.

@Painkiller8818, could you please do a quick video showing this?

I want to see stats for nerds while it's displaying the wrong track, then I want to see you switch to another language, then back to the first language and hopefully it then displays correctly.  I need to see this all in one video.

Thanks

On 17/10/2022 at 07:12, SamES said:

@Painkiller8818, could you please do a quick video showing this?

I want to see stats for nerds while it's displaying the wrong track, then I want to see you switch to another language, then back to the first language and hopefully it then displays correctly.  I need to see this all in one video.

Thanks

Can you all please test the latest USB build released today?

Please confirm:

1. Does this fix the issue - initially showing the wrong track until you switch languages?
  2. If it doesn't completely fix it, is it any better?
  3. Has this caused any other issues?

Hopefully, you give me good news.

Thanks

Painkiller8818
22 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you all please test the latest USB build released today?

Please confirm:

1. Does this fix the issue - initially showing the wrong track until you switch languages?
  2. If it doesn't completely fix it, is it any better?
  3. Has this caused any other issues?

Hopefully, you give me good news.

Thanks

yes i will test this tomorrow during day time

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818

@SamES

Tested with app version 1.4.5
Movie: Assassins Creed 4K

Sorry for not having any good news but it is not working with the 4K version.

1. 4K Test: I started the movie with the correct sub lang and German DTS Audio, no subs, so i switched to Eng Subs and back to german, but all i got is eng subs.
So switching does not fix it for me.

It really seems this is just a problem with 4k Movies (or lets say i only got it on them for now)

2. 4K Eng Audio Test: I tried the 4K movie with eng AC3 audio and german forced subs but still eng subs appeared. Jumping forward or back also does no longer fix this for me like 1.4.1 did so it seems to be worser than before.

3. 1080p Test: With the normal 1080p version is working better, i started the normal 1080p version with german DTS audio and german forced subs and it is working.
i switched to eng forced and back to check if it still works and recorgnized it is not switching to eng subs, it stays on german subs even if the english are activated.
Switching back to german again shows me in the nerds view for the subtitle Debug on point 3: InvalidValuesError

I got this error also in the beginning where no subtitles was but it changed when the first subs should be shown and worked normally, but after switching to eng and back they are talking spanish in the movie and i don't see subs at all till i jump forward or back, after that i got the expected german forced subs back.

The video i made is >200MB so i sent you a message with a nextcloud link.

Edited by Painkiller8818

5 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

@SamES

Tested with app version 1.4.5
Movie: Assassins Creed 4K

Sorry for not having any good news but it is not working with the 4K version.

1. 4K Test: I started the movie with the correct sub lang and German DTS Audio, no subs, so i switched to Eng Subs and back to german, but all i got is eng subs.
So switching does not fix it for me.

It really seems this is just a problem with 4k Movies (or lets say i only got it on them for now)

2. 4K Eng Audio Test: I tried the 4K movie with eng AC3 audio and german forced subs but still eng subs appeared. Jumping forward or back also does no longer fix this for me like 1.4.1 did so it seems to be worser than before.

3. 1080p Test: With the normal 1080p version is working better, i started the normal 1080p version with german DTS audio and german forced subs and it is working.
i switched to eng forced and back to check if it still works and recorgnized it is not switching to eng subs, it stays on german subs even if the english are activated.
Switching back to german again shows me in the nerds view for the subtitle Debug on point 3: InvalidValuesError

I got this error also in the beginning where no subtitles was but it changed when the first subs should be shown and worked normally, but after switching to eng and back they are talking spanish in the movie and i don't see subs at all till i jump forward or back, after that i got the expected german forced subs back.

The video i made is >200MB so i sent you a message with a nextcloud link.

The video helps a lot, I think I know what's going on and it confirms my suspicion

It looks like it's having trouble retrieving the track details from the player.  The single digit instead of a full detail line in item 2. of the debug confirms that.  

Now I think now I know what we're going to need to do to resolve this.  Thanks

• Like 1