Watch Party

chef

solidsnakex37
4 minutes ago, Mookdog said:

Wow if this finally comes to life I will be so happy. My daughter and son and my grandkids live 2000 miles from me and it would be great to be able to have a watch party with them. Please make this happen

Mook

It was my favorite feature of Jellyfin, I have friends who live in Switzerland and we always watch movies together. I would love if Emby brought this to their platform, and I'd gladly pay money for it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

We'll, we won't be able to implement it directly, but... Maybe we can learn sone lessons from that and figure out something.

Cheesegeezer

Chef almost had this working, but required a wee bit of help from the emby team for implementation.

so the long and short is… Chef has the code… and it works.. check his YouTube channel. (BenjaminAnderson) Emby won’t shift resources to accommodate it. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

BillOatman
14 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Chef almost had this working, but required a wee bit of help from the emby team for implementation.

so the long and short is… Chef has the code… and it works.. check his YouTube channel. (BenjaminAnderson) Emby won’t shift resources to accommodate it. 

At the end of the day, it really should be a core feature for it to perform at its best.  Given the JF implementation and the fact that it seems to work and be popular, should be a good jump start. But like all closed source projects, it is up to the Emby team to assign a priority to this relative to the other things they want to do. So, don't hold your breath but with any luck it could appear in a release.

Or if they desired, the Emby team could contract out a feature like this to someone like @chefto get it done sooner rather than later.

I remember seeing a request a  while ago for the Emby team to publish their roadmap regarding new features so people can get sense of the new feature pecking order.  Would be helpful for things like this.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

Yep - conceptually this was 'working' just fine - even I hacked something together via the API to simultaneously play/plause items (just based on what the Introskip plugin did) but it was the 'bells and whistles' that were needed from the Core team to make it a reality and practical - and a process was needed to 'watch/control' non-admins playback sessions - as while the 'admin' could of course pause play sessions for example, non-admins could not.  

Cheesegeezer

Bearing in mind the code for intros was donated by chef and sam and me, this is not gonna be a versatile option. 

proper annoys me…..

but at least… thanks and it may be available in the future 

5 hours ago, BillOatman said:

I remember seeing a request a  while ago for the Emby team to publish their roadmap regarding new features so people can get sense of the new feature pecking order.  Would be helpful for things like this.

Especially when the last beta is almost two months old even with the holidays in between it's quite a large timeframe between two releases and not very usual.

thornbill
On 2/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, chef said:

We'll, we won't be able to implement it directly, but... Maybe we can learn sone lessons from that and figure out something.

Just a friendly reminder that any code produced using GPL code as a reference will need to comply with the terms of the GPL.

15 minutes ago, thornbill said:

Just a friendly reminder that any code produced using GPL code as a reference will need to comply with the terms of the GPL.

I'm sure if we learn anything there we'll conform to gpl. 

• Thanks 1

sross44

This is the one feature that still makes me go back to Plex sometimes and keep them both running on my server. My daughter and I will watch shows together like this when she’s at her moms. If the developers of this ever need folks to help test (if and when it goes live) I’m more than happy to help. 

BillOatman

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in this, and both Jellyfin and Plex both already have the feature.  So hopefully this is pretty high up on the Emby feature development roadmap.  But only time will tell.

I spun up a JF server quick and tried SyncPlay. It's intuitive and seems to work pretty well so far from my short testing.

Edited by BillOatman

solidsnakex37
1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in this, and both Jellyfin and Plex both already have the feature.  So hopefully this is pretty high up on the Emby feature development roadmap.  But only time will tell.

I spun up a JF server quick and tried SyncPlay. It's intuitive and seems to work pretty well so far from my short testing.

It's super easy to use and intuitive on JF, my favorite part is that anyone can join the "group" and start watching at any time, it also makes it easy to switch devices. So I might start watching a movie with my friends on my PC, but want to switch to my tablet and move to the couch, I can do that. 

This is the one feature that has made me keep my JF instance instead of fully switching to Emby (which I hope to do at some point). 

rbjtech

From the JF release - and as expected, it needs a 'framework' on the server end to create, manage and monitor the 'rooms'.

Pushing the changes to the clients is the relatively easy bit, but without the room control - emby is a non-starter as @chef has already attempted (with limited success) to just drive it from the client end.  If we just want an admin 'push' to start/pause all the remote sessions - then this is doable today.

"Thanks to first-time contributor OancaAndrei, who submitted pull requests to both the server and the web client (jf#2733, jf-web#1011) in order to lay out the foundations for this, you can now watch movies together with friends and family, from the comfort of your respective homes."

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Pushing the changes to the clients is the relatively easy bit, but without the room control - emby is a non-starter as @chef  has already attempted (with limited success) to just drive it from the client end.  If we just want an admin 'push' to start/pause all the remote sessions - then this is doable today.

this seems interesting in the context of another old feature request that covered the ability to initiate playback to all, a subset, or a group of devices. i'd be really interested in this as a function in addition to the watch party concept

t123thomas
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

From the JF release - and as expected, it needs a 'framework' on the server end to create, manage and monitor the 'rooms'.

Pushing the changes to the clients is the relatively easy bit, but without the room control - emby is a non-starter as @chef has already attempted (with limited success) to just drive it from the client end.  If we just want an admin 'push' to start/pause all the remote sessions - then this is doable today.

"Thanks to first-time contributor OancaAndrei, who submitted pull requests to both the server and the web client (jf#2733, jf-web#1011) in order to lay out the foundations for this, you can now watch movies together with friends and family, from the comfort of your respective 

Is it a must that all bell and whistles are build at once, if the admin functions with basic features at least that is start for further improvements

On 2/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, Luke said:

Hi, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

MBSki

Crazy thought, but does anyone still have connections with any of the Jellyfin devs? Maybe we can get their code. Probably a non-starter, but just hoping there's a chance that we could speed this along. :D 

• Agree 1

BillOatman
1 hour ago, MBSki said:

Crazy thought, but does anyone still have connections with any of the Jellyfin devs? Maybe we can get their code. Probably a non-starter, but just hoping there's a chance that we could speed this along. :D 

Jellyfin is open source.

29 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Jellyfin is open source.

We can set up an elaborate ruse to get them to reveal their github page.

• Haha 1

MBSki
35 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Jellyfin is open source.

I got the sense that there was some bad blood between Emby and Jellyfin. Didn't think just taking it and using it would be an option. 

@roaku @BillOatman Sounds like you think there wouldn't be an issue, so why don't we grab the server code and use it in Emby?

Just now, MBSki said:

I got the sense that there was some bad blood between Emby and Jellyfin. Didn't think just taking it and using it would be an option. 

@roaku @BillOatman Sounds like you think there wouldn't be an issue, so why don't we grab the server code and use it in Emby?

Because things don't work that way for multiple technical and legal reasons.

Cheesegeezer
7 minutes ago, roaku said:

We can set up an elaborate ruse to get them to reveal their github page.

i'm in lol haha....

@MBSki it's not the work chef has done, he has done an amazing job getting it to almost sync.... but the real issue here Emby core opening up some stuff for him to utilise or for emby core team to create it themselves.  You should go and read this thread from the start.  and get a feel of what has actually been achieved by @chef

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
2 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Hang on.... Jellyfin is using Emby code... I get they are open source and as Thornbill said previously, GPL needs to be honoured (for open source)

• Agree 1

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

i'm in lol haha....

@MBSki it's not the work chef has done, he has done an amazing job getting it to almost sync.... but the real issue here Emby core opening up some stuff for him to utilise or for emby core team to create it themselves.  You should go and read this thread from the start.  and get a feel of what has actually been achieved by @chef

Yes, it is absolutely incredible work, completely agree.

So can Emby core team take advantage of Jellyfin code or no, as @roaku said... technical and legal reasons in the way.

arrbee99

I'd imagine you can't take stuff from open source and put it into something you charge for. I could probably look this up, but I'm not that desperate...