Watch Party

chef

quickmic
7 hours ago, BillOatman said:

How did you get the Emby clients to do this?

As mentioned, clients must support the custom "API" I'm using. Only Emby for Kodi next gen 8.X is currently supporting that.

I'll post the "APIs" as soon as they are final. They could be implemented in Emby (would be more nicely) OR kept them as they are.

Currently I use regular Emby's text messages with commands included and must be parsed by the client.

Edited by quickmic

BillOatman
12 hours ago, quickmic said:

As mentioned, clients must support the custom "API" I'm using. Only Emby for Kodi next gen 8.X is currently supporting that.

Gotcha, and since Emby is closed source we don't have access to the clients.

quickmic
37 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Gotcha, and since Emby is closed source we don't have access to the clients.

Yes, but the offset is only necessary for really accurate sync between clients. < 1-2 second should always work.

Edited by quickmic

BillOatman
8 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yes, but the offset is only necessary for really accurate sync between clients. < 1-2 second should always work.

And I believe @chef has that.  I feel like we are going in circles :) Always good to have more possibilities!

You know what we'd have to try, is syncing a couple streams that are really far a part from each other. 

Then, try and sync multiple streams that are far away from each other.

I have a feeling that initially we'd see some pretty intense lag, but we could figure out how to pause each stream as they start and then work some magic on unpausing them in a way that would keep them relatively synced.

Do some kind of latency calculation. 

There is probably something written somewhere that calculates distance and latency based on connection speed etc. 

I dunno.

rbjtech

Is there a proof of concept out there that 'works' @chef ?

I had a play with the unreleased plugin last week and it didn't appear to work at all, but that may have been an early release.

I think all we can realistically do without Core support - is do more testing with each client in different scenario's (direct play, transcoding etc) and see what the results are.

The confusion I have is we are using the same session control that the Introskip Plugin used - and that was extremely accurate down to 10th of a second - so could we do something like start all the streams and then within say 5 seconds, we just 'restart' all the sessions by telling them to play at 0:00 again ?   By this time all the 'buffers' and transcodes etc are all complete - and we just re-sync before we start.   Same with a 'pause or stop' - everything just re-sync's from 5 seconds previously.   Dunno,   we need more testing to see what works and what doesn't.     Overall Sync within 2 seconds of each other to me is perfectly acceptable. 

Maybe release something with instructions - and we all use the same source file to feedback results - maybe use big buck bunny as it's free to use.

http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_1080p_30fps_normal.mp4

We just need to get a feel for it - so no need for any formal feedback parameters at this stage.. ?

Edited by rbjtech

• 3 weeks later...
bugz000

any updates to this? :( emby really needs this feature, it can't be that hard to sync, even if it's not exact, just within a few seconds of eachother, or bond one transcode to all sessions so they play the same source

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, bugz000 said:

any updates to this? :( emby really needs this feature, it can't be that hard to sync, even if it's not exact, just within a few seconds of eachother, or bond one transcode to all sessions so they play the same source

Hi, it's planned for future updates, so stay tuned.

• Like 7

bugz000
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

its coming?! omg
i hazard a guess it's far too early for even a "speculative" ETA? :D

Wunterslaus
On 3/3/2023 at 7:39 AM, Luke said:

This is awesome news!

dannymichel

I'd definitely like to see this as soon as possible, but for future releases of this feature it'd be cool to have a text chat within it which would really set emby apart from the others that already have this feature

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, t123thomas said:

what is the status of this project, dead or still work in progress?

Hi, a built-in feature like this is planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
e123enitan

As an alternative if you have emby for Kodi 8.xx above this feature is build therein and works for all devices, might  be temp solution until emby implemented the feature

5 hours ago, GiGo said:

Any news on when this will be included with an update?

I don't have an ETA, but it's something we hope to get to soon. Thanks.

• Like 1

bugz000

there's a "watch party" feature for youtube within discord, along with a few other games etc, i wonder if an emby app within discord could do this, that'd be ideal tbh 

solidsnakex37
19 minutes ago, bugz000 said:

there's a "watch party" feature for youtube within discord, along with a few other games etc, i wonder if an emby app within discord could do this, that'd be ideal tbh 

That would be perfect. Discord is an electron app and Emby Theater is also Electron. Not sure the deeper side of things but could mean an easier integration 

jaycedk

Ok this is just a joke.

Setup your webcam to record you screen, when you are watching a movie.

Then stream it on discord 😂🤣

Edited by jaycedk

e123enitan

Setup kodi in windows with emby4kodi version 8 plus, once that is completed use emby for kodi to control other clients on your server to process watch together very simple it works perfectly for me.  

bugz000
1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

Ok this is just a joke.

Setup your webcam to record you screen, when you are watching a movie.

Then stream it on discord 😂🤣

i've resorted to having my wife watch the movie on her pc while streaming it on discord to me, it works, but ofc quality sucks, oftentimes i'm showing her a movie she hasn't seen but i have so it's fine that way, but it's 2023, it really shouldn't be so difficult to set this up 😕

i've also considered uploading movies i want to watch as unlisted to youtube and using the discord watch party feature this way, deleting the video after viewing... it is quite ridiculous

Edited by bugz000

MBSki

I'd definitely like to see the Watch Party implemented so I can watch movies "in sync" with my watch party. But, in the meantime, I just text people from the watch party when I'm ready to watch and they click play on their Emby app around the same time that I click play. 

@bugz000 Is there a reason you're using discord rather just logging in on another device and watching on another device?