Watch Party

chef

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Mookdog said:

What I dont understand how it seems like its impossible to do. @quickmicimplemented it in Emby For Kodi Next Gen and it works fairly well but not everyone wants to rely on Kodi to watch together. If quickmic could implement it how come the developers cant ?

Mook

?  Nobody said that - the original poc 'worked', the examples in this thread 'worked', a few have attempted 'front ends' - but all are working around a common problem in that the clients are depending on the server to control/sync them - this needs to be client/heartbeat/control driven and for that, we need the Core to add the functionality.

BillOatman

12 hours ago, Mookdog said:

What I dont understand how it seems like its impossible to do. @quickmicimplemented it in Emby For Kodi Next Gen and it works fairly well but not everyone wants to rely on Kodi to watch together. If quickmic could implement it how come the developers cant ?

Mook

12 hours ago, Luke said:

Nobody has said that we can't. It just hasn't been done yet.

7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

?  Nobody said that - the original poc 'worked', the examples in this thread 'worked', a few have attempted 'front ends' - but all are working around a common problem in that the clients are depending on the server to control/sync them - this needs to be client/heartbeat/control driven and for that, we need the Core to add the functionality.

Maybe someone with interest in this project and the required development skills could volunteer, and Team Emby could have him/her sign a NDA and do the work?

solidsnakex37
On 2/14/2024 at 2:13 AM, bugz000 said:

there are several existing plugin solutions but it is not possible within emby core without developer intervention.

.....lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hoonlight

It's a bit disappointing that after all these years, not even an early prototype of this feature has been released, considering the fact that jellyfin and plex support this feature quite well.

Is this feature a very low priority? Or is it very tricky to implement?

It's time for the emby team to show something.

GWTPqZp6b

I’d like this feature adding at some point also. It’s a nice to have, not a must have for me personally.  

As to why it’s not done yet, I suspect it’s prioritized lower than other features due to the feature request post being liked by a relatively small community group and when considered against technical complexity, risk to introduce breaking changes and forecasted revenue impact. 

to increase priority in the backlog, you could help get additional likes to the feature request, or provide objective data re revenue impact due to lost subscribers or potential new subscribers. 

ill add my upvote now too. Total now 5 likes. 

Edited by GWTPqZp6b
  • Thanks 1

roaku
4 minutes ago, GWTPqZp6b said:

I’d like this feature adding at some point also. It’s a nice to have, not a must have for me personally.  

As to why it’s not done yet, I suspect it’s prioritized lower than other features due to the feature request post being liked by a relatively small community group and when considered against technical complexity, risk to introduce breaking changes and forecasted revenue impact. 

to increase priority in the backlog, you could help get additional likes to the feature request, or provide objective data re revenue impact due to lost subscribers or potential new subscribers. 

ill add my upvote now too. Total now 5 likes. 

I personally don't have a use for this feature...but at the same time, this is just a thread for a 3rd party plugin attempt. The feature request thread, with a few more upvotes, is here:

• Thanks 1