Watch Party

chef

rbjtech

What has come out of this proof of concept thought @chef is some great groundwork for a 'spotlight' channel ... ;)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Are all the sessions within a half to one second of each other - yes

That's the part I think would require more testing because I doubt you can maintain that with multiple remote sessions with differing playback methods.  My guess is it would be very likely to be several seconds out of sync.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

BillOatman
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's the part I think would require more testing because I doubt you can maintain that with multiple remote sessions with differing playback methods.  My guess is it would be very likely to be several seconds out of sync.

Given the latency I've seen in ComSkipper and PottyMouth I would agree.

rbjtech

So as a proof of concept - are we concluding that it will not work and we are abandoning the project as a plugin ?

If yes, I agree with the outcome and this was the whole point of doing it as a proof of concept.

I'd much rather close this thread (and edit the first post) rather than leave people hanging that this is going to deliver something.

• Agree 1

BillOatman
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So as a proof of concept - are we concluding that it will not work and we are abandoning the project as a plugin ?

If yes, I agree with the outcome and this was the whole point of doing it as a proof of concept.

I'd much rather close this thread (and edit the first post) rather than leave people hanging that this is going to deliver something.

I would say yes.  But I'll defer to @chef.

chef

I would leave this open as a feature request.

Netflix had intro skip, then Amazon, then Plex, and finally a while later... Emby has it.

So, Amazon has watch party, Plex has had watch together for a couple years.

I figure... eventually emby will have this ability. Just not yet. 

😁

Cheesegeezer
2 minutes ago, chef said:

😁

Something certainly for the future 🤣

• Haha 2

rbjtech
1 hour ago, chef said:

I would leave this open as a feature request.

Netflix had intro skip, then Amazon, then Plex, and finally a while later... Emby has it.

So, Amazon has watch party, Plex has had watch together for a couple years.

😁

Sure - I didn't mean close the Feature Request - I meant close this Plugin Thread ;)

Also to note The Emby Introskip Plugin is still functionally better than both the Amazon and Plex 'Introskip' (as it also does end credits, editing etc) - and is still functionally superior to the Emby Core Introskip feature as well - which is probably on-par with the Plex implementation.

Unless we can innovate, be the first, or do something better than the competition - then my personal view is releasing something that is not only 2nd (3rd/4th in this case..) and inferior to the competition is not where anybody wants to be.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
chef
9 minutes ago, TallBoiDez said:

Is this a plugging I can download @chef

I was, but it didn't work very well. 😬

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, chef said:

I was, but it didn't work very well. 😬

Don’t sell yourself short fella… it was actually rewlly good and the concept proved but need core interaction to realistically make it a usable option 

• Agree 4

• 2 months later...
Cheesegeezer
8 minutes ago, Soldize said:

push

@chef tried his best, but there was quite alot of core dev work to get this working properly. So no 3rd Party Dev Plugin will be available.

Core team - it's over to you :D 

Soldize
1 minute ago, Cheesegeezer said:

@chef tried his best, but there was quite alot of core dev work to get this working properly. So no 3rd Party Dev Plugin will be available.

Core team - it's over to you :D 

Good features take Time. no stress.

best regards

• 3 months later...
solidsnakex37

I'm sad this hasn't been implemented from the Emby team yet, when both of the competitions have it. 

I just came from Jellyfin and the SyncPlay was a game changer, can create a room and us friends can watch in sync. If someone needs to step away it pauses for everyone. 

I hope this is in the works from Emby, because this is a highly used feature on my server that I can't use anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sync-Play. 

😳

Welp jelly-fish pride themselves on being open source, so where is the repo for this SyncPlay, and I'll add it to Emby without blinking an eye.

They had no issues taking Emby source code, so I have absolutely not issues implementing this SyncPlay from them into Emby.

Anyone have the open source SyncPlay url?

Edited by chef
  • Like 3

LazyMonday91

Good idea @chef,

Welp jelly-fish pride themselves on being open source, so where is the repo for this SyncPlay, and we'll add it to Emby.

They had no issues taking Emby source code, so I have absolutely not issues implementing this SyncPlay from them into Emby.

Anyone have the open source SyncPlay url?

Maybe this link the official repo i think ? https://syncplay.pl/download/

don't know it tell this :
image.png.a1f948812e68be816eeb675033f5f079.png

• Thanks 1

MrMackey

I have never given up hope that it will finally come for emby.
I would have no problem paying for it if it comes as a plugin.

• Like 2

samuelqwe
55 minutes ago, chef said:

@samuelqwe it's a python server.

You interested in taking a look?

You're the go to guy for that python😜

https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay

I can take a closer look tomorrow, but there is a wiki page that may be useful:

https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/wiki/Guide-to-adding-support-for-a-new-media-player-to-Syncplay

• Thanks 1

samuelqwe

Also @chef, what were the challenges previously with the plugin you were working on? We might be able to use some Emby beta features to get around some of them.

• Like 1

Mookdog

Wow if this finally comes to life I will be so happy. My daughter and son and my grandkids live 2000 miles from me and it would be great to be able to have a watch party with them. Please make this happen

Mook

• Agree 2