TrueNas Scale

dgrigo

sfatula

BennyMac,

Assuming you are on latest truenas which it sounds like you are, you will find next time you try and start emby it will not. You can't use a SMB share to a given directory and link an app to it as a host path at the same time. You either need to use a subfolder of the share (the "correct" way) for the Emby libraries, or, turn off host path validation. To disable that, go to apps -> settings, advanced. Turn off "Enable Host Path Safety Checks". 

If you want to understand what that is and why, it's not a trivial discussion so I suggest doing some reading. 

• Thanks 1

dgrigo

Hi, if you had already installed the emby, the paths and all config info could be already had the shares.

I suggest you uninstall emby and if you use a custom config path delete the dataset, and recreate it.

I am not talking about the movies share, make sure you understand.

Nowadays emby install on scale is so easy, seriously on rails.

bennymac

Hey! You're exactly right.

As soon as Emby was restarted it failed to work. 

So i'll  try your suggestion today regards the SMB share.

So if i understand correctly I can create a Dataset, which could be like a root folder that is an SMB Share - so i can access it on Windows etc. Then inside that Dataset create another dataset "Media" folder for example - that is not an SMB share and just mount that as a host path for Emby, so i can use that for added to libraries inside Emby?

Many thanks.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:04 AM, sfatula said:

BennyMac,

Assuming you are on latest truenas which it sounds like you are, you will find next time you try and start emby it will not. You can't use a SMB share to a given directory and link an app to it as a host path at the same time. You either need to use a subfolder of the share (the "correct" way) for the Emby libraries, or, turn off host path validation. To disable that, go to apps -> settings, advanced. Turn off "Enable Host Path Safety Checks". 

If you want to understand what that is and why, it's not a trivial discussion so I suggest doing some reading. 

Edited by bennymac

bennymac
On 4/2/2023 at 4:36 AM, dgrigo said:

Hi, if you had already installed the emby, the paths and all config info could be already had the shares.

I suggest you uninstall emby and if you use a custom config path delete the dataset, and recreate it.

I am not talking about the movies share, make sure you understand.

Nowadays emby install on scale is so easy, seriously on rails.

Thanks heaps @dgrigo

I'll definitely delete and recreate Emby and the associated storage.

You're right i find the install part simple enough though just some of the post tasks a tad puzzling but it's getting there for sure.

Thanks

Edited by bennymac

sfatula
4 hours ago, bennymac said:

Hey! You're exactly right.

As soon as Emby was restarted it failed to work. 

So i'll  try your suggestion today regards the SMB share.

So if i under correctly I can create a Dataset, which could be like a root folder that is an SMB Share - so i can access it on Windows etc. Then inside that Dataset create another dataset "Media" folder for example - that is not an SMB share and just mount that as a host path for Emby, so i can use that for added to libraries inside Emby?

Many thanks.

That is correct, so, /mnt/tank/something/emby would be SMB share

/mnt/tank/something/emby/movies, /mnt/tank/something/emby/TV Shows, etc. would be hostpaths for Emby. This is a feature of the latest Truenas Scale. Trips most everyone up. 

Emby within scale is super reliable and pain free once set up. 

Edited by sfatula

bennymac
3 hours ago, sfatula said:

That is correct, so, /mnt/tank/something/emby would be SMB share

/mnt/tank/something/emby/movies, /mnt/tank/something/emby/TV Shows, etc. would be hostpaths for Emby. This is a feature of the latest Truenas Scale. Trips most everyone up. 

Emby within scale is super reliable and pain free once set up. 

Hey, Sorry i tired it 2 ways and got the same error. Following services use this path: SMB Share

I tried mounting the host path as a the dataset called "Emby", then as just a folder inside the Shared_Data SMB called "Media" - which i create on my Windows machine and got the same issue each time ?

I was wondering, could it be my setup of the SMB share itself. For example i have it set to "Default share parameters" in Purpose.

Any ideas? thanks heaps.

I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1

image.thumb.png.83433d49750ee73520243e2e164962a1.png

image.thumb.png.d48a6787bc939f6dce1ac7d97206b00f.png

Edited by bennymac

sfatula

Would need to see all your SMB configuration, screen capture of all your shares.

Edited by sfatula

bennymac
5 hours ago, sfatula said:

Would need to see all your SMB configuration, screen capture of all your shares.

Here you go. It's just a single SMB share called Shared_Data

Appreciate your help here 👍

image.thumb.png.913fe121a7543c80329da09ddacea84c.png

image.thumb.png.48e4ad93df9e1b21a919f23ddc9f339e.pngimage.thumb.png.c2a73388a55b74aff748c43d0bd1402f.png

Edited by bennymac

sfatula

Few more questions, truecharts emby or truenas emby? Truecharts different. What version scale?

bennymac

It's Truenas Emby.

I've only just added the truecharts catalog to see what was available. I'm running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1

sfatula

Interesting. Here's some brief reading for you: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/understanding-the-truenas-scale-hostpathvalidation-setting.109100/

So, in 22.12.1, they did remove the subdirectory option leaving you with only 2 choices:

1. Disable hostpath validation as mentioned earlier or 

2. Use the Truecharts version, which allows you to mount the NFS share, not the host directory. Note I said NFS, however, you can share directory both SMB and NFS, NFS would allow the hostpath, SMB would allow Windows. Only truecharts version

For me, I'd simply change the hostpath validation setting. The reason is they are changing this in the future to make it default to not enabled if you read the link above. 

I see you posted 22.12.1 earlier, didn't see it, sorry, for some reason thought it was 22.12.0. So, just disable hostpath validation, all will work. 

Edited by sfatula

bennymac

Wicked. Thanks, heaps, for the help.

So that link was some good clarification for sure. I've disabled the setting and all looks well.

Last one in relation to permissions. Since Emby uses the "bin" user ID/group is it fair to say that as long as it has full permissions to the folder within the dataset and that's all i should check and ensure for the future. Hypothetically, if an APP does change permissions for some reason that is.

Cheers again.

• Thanks 1

sfatula

Awesome, glad you have it going. The actual explanation is more complicated but that's a good summary, better than I can write! 

Actually, emby uses whatever user/group you want. You can set environment variables, UID, GID, GIDLIST to anything you want. You can also set timezone with TZ. 

Remember that there are two users at play. First, the user within the app, whatever you set it to or default to. That might (just example) be user id 1020. Now, on truenas itself, there may or may not be a user id 1020. But the permissions need to allow for it. I say this as I use a user named emby instead of the default. emby might be user id 1001 within the app container. But on truenas, maybe user john might be assigned 1001, so you have to watch what user ids you assign if you change them and make sure they are the same ideally so no one else gets assigned the user id. 

You don't need to change them, I just made it emby as that's what Linux versions always used. So, I used the environment variables in the app settings as noted, and, created a user emby on scale with the same user id, just so it shows emby on scale shell commands and so a new scale user wouldn't happen to use that id and thus have access. 

EDITED: IMHO, well, not so humble, IX Systems made a mistake on this setting. It's tripped up so many of their users. Clearly they know that as the document link shows. But Scale is fairly new and these things happen. But it will continue in the next major version when they remove docker commands. So many people will be surprised by this who don't keep up with forums, or read all the notes about new features, etc. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
pixeler
On 7/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, dgrigo said:

Hey, Those screenshots show exactly what you have to fill in truenas-scale  installation, for the user you choose, in my case the user uid:1000 and gid:1000

which is the user i have to access my server also in samba shares.

before you start the installation create the 2 datasets or directories if you prefer and change permissions to the user you choose in truenas ui, as you have to select them in installation.

truenas_1.jpg.e845dbc7cf7ec1ce10cde15a97ecc7db.jpgtruenas_2.jpg.6c8de6e037e47a75481999caaa2a2426.jpgtruenas_3.jpg.946283b853c58ea7c64ec3001c9abe7e.jpg

Setting UID and GID did the trick for me! I can also use it with SMB & NFS.

In order to make it available for SMB & NFS make sure to go to Apps -> Settings -> Advanced Settings

image.png.eb59c4df0eb7598d97a1af7355eb6459.png

And uncheck "enable Host Path Safety Checks"

image.png.0f2f83704f16601c952e63083d24248a.png

• Thanks 1

bdreams72

how do you get gpu to work in the official charts emby app. when select gpu no hardware acceleration decoders show up in the transcoding section but works with the trucharts stable emby app. Any info on this will be much appreciated thanks.

dgrigo

Guys , The latest update not working with GPU, we have to wait for fix, if you want to have the latest version installed, do as i said, disable gpu in kubernetes advanced settings.

that will give you 4.7.11.0_1.0.19 working with no gpu acceleration,as much as i know and tried, this is something that happens to all GPU accelerated apps, like plex , jellyfin etc

• 1 month later...
dimitrik
On 4/23/2023 at 10:02 PM, dgrigo said:

Guys , The latest update not working with GPU, we have to wait for fix, if you want to have the latest version installed, do as i said, disable gpu in kubernetes advanced settings.

that will give you 4.7.11.0_1.0.19 working with no gpu acceleration,as much as i know and tried, this is something that happens to all GPU accelerated apps, like plex , jellyfin etc

As of today GPU acceleration is working for me on the latest stable and an intel iGPU (xeon e1225L v6). I had to add the GIDLIST parameter with values: "2,44,107" (no quotes) to grant the application (running with a user I created to access datasets and shares) access to groups video and render.

dgrigo

Yeah , I was referring at that time as i said to (4.7.11.0_1.0.19) and something IX systems resolved patching apps silently

Edited by dgrigo
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
voodoo5_6k

Got it running! It was my own fault, assuming "gidlist" = "GIDLIST"... When using all caps for these environment variables, everything works.

Yay :)

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 3:56 AM, sfatula said:

It's not every recording. I have many times recorded several at once, or, playing back one recording while recording a different channel, etc. What seems to happen 50% or so of the time is the recordings break up, pixelated, or much worse sometimes.

My next attempt is to use a static IP for Emby.

can someone please tell me what I need to do to get my intel igpu to show up in emby I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1, I have switched from Unraid and this is the last thing I need to get working and I am loosing my mind trying to figure it out

voodoo5_6k
10 hours ago, mp46241 said:

can someone please tell me what I need to do to get my intel igpu to show up in emby I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1, I have switched from Unraid and this is the last thing I need to get working and I am loosing my mind trying to figure it out

First, you need to activate it in BIOS/UEFI. I assume you already have when you ran it previously in Unraid.

Second, configure emby more or less like this...

emby.thumb.png.1e5f8ea0063f5618351740087aea3d85.png

When you correctly activated the iGPU, you should be see something like this (drop down) for the intel option. I did select the "5" option.

Also, it is important to add the "GIDLIST" environment variable (groups video & render). I have used "UID" and "GID" to run this app as user "apps", like all other SCALE apps do by default (no idea why this one is different...).

Then, your iGPU should be detected by emby server.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
AndaPlays

@LukeI got a question. I currently run my emby on Scale in a Ubuntu VM(very old VM, since the early release of Scale). I run the beta version. I do my backups daily and so on. I wanted to try to move my emby VM to the "Apps" variant of emby, as I only have one slot for my GPU and the current limitation of Scale is that you need two GPUs If you want to use one in a VM. Currently there is only a Stable App Release and not an Beta App Release. With that I can't move my backup from 4.9.0.X to 4.8.1.0. I tried multiple ways of getting my data over their but at some point the container just breaks and won't start again... 

Would It be possible for you to make a Beta App Release? If not Its okay :) 
Guess I just have to fiddle around with the "Install Custom App" Option..

12 hours ago, AndaPlays said:

@LukeI got a question. I currently run my emby on Scale in a Ubuntu VM(very old VM, since the early release of Scale). I run the beta version. I do my backups daily and so on. I wanted to try to move my emby VM to the "Apps" variant of emby, as I only have one slot for my GPU and the current limitation of Scale is that you need two GPUs If you want to use one in a VM. Currently there is only a Stable App Release and not an Beta App Release. With that I can't move my backup from 4.9.0.X to 4.8.1.0. I tried multiple ways of getting my data over their but at some point the container just breaks and won't start again... 

Would It be possible for you to make a Beta App Release? If not Its okay :) 
Guess I just have to fiddle around with the "Install Custom App" Option..

Hi, yes certainly we'd like to have a beta on every platform. We just haven't gotten there yet with TrueNAS scale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
voodoo5_6k

Note: The current TrueNAS SCALE chart update for emby, 4.8.3.0_2.0.5, breaks usage of the environment variable GIDLIST (value 44,107) which is needed for GPU access (i.e., transcoding). Luckily, the update can't be installed (errors out) with the environment variable set. But if you remove it to install the upgrade, the app config can't be saved after adding GIDLIST back. Rollback, at least for me, was unfortunately limited to 4.8.1.0_2.0.3, as 4.8.3.0_2.0.4 could no longer be found... So, this kicked me back to 4.8.1.0.