TrueNas Scale

dgrigo

dgrigo

@Q-Droid Yeah, thank you for replying, I thought so that Official charts are limiting, oh Truecharts also ?

Thank you so much, will live with what I have and will wait the next patch at least for Truenas Scale, that and maybe after that will use a reverse proxy.

Thanks!

Let us know how you make out.  I've not tried accessing Emby remotely with a TrueNAS Scale Emby setup so I'd need to give that a test myself to figure out the different re-direction going on.

But off the top of my head when you click the OPEN button to run Emby from TrueNAS scale the URL in your browser is likely going to be key (minus the port).  If you can't figure it out let me know and I'll do some testing on jump on your system with you via TeamViewer and we'll figure it out together. :)

Carlo

dgrigo

I am done, at least I access the server remotely via http, everything runs fine that way.

So using ddns with my cloudflare domain, and dnsomatic updates my A name dynamic domain.

I was hoping for https as I am ready with certificate , but can wait, if you need anything just drop me message.

Thanks Carlo

Dinos

Edited by dgrigo

The source of your problem is likely the DDNS. What you really want to do is get your own domain.

With your own domain you can use a Cloudflare cert that will match your domain as it's in your control and belongs to you vs the DDNS domain that belongs to someone else.

dgrigo

Nah have no problem with ddns, the site is always available i am checking from my phone with 5g connection, the ddns working 1 week now!

It's exactly what Q-Droid said previously

"It looks like you'll need to use the Docker option "Launch Docker Image" to get that level of granularity. I don't see those options in the TrueCharts app template either. Or use a reverse proxy to handle the https for TrueCharts Emby.

There might be other ways but I've just started playing with TrueNAS Scale and haven't dug very deep yet."

Edited by dgrigo

sfatula
On 7/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, dgrigo said:

Nice though , but guess we have to live with this.

Bye do dnla works for you?

DLNA will not work without host networking (and external interfaces) which the standard chart and truecharts does not allow (or in Truecharts case it's more not supported). You can use the Launch Docker Image Button to enable access to the networking options, but this will complicate things for you most likely.

As far as the IP shown on the dashboard, you can always use the manage emby server -> network screen and enter the local lan IP in the box labelled "Local IP address:". This will not correct the shown port though when using the Truenas chart.

I don't know who is maintaining the Emby server chart for Truenas, not sure about that, but if they allowed host networking options then I believe a lot of your issues could be worked around without resorting to docker yourself. Perhaps even dlna could work then. Though then that means explaining how to configure host networking options so Emby gets it's own IP within Scale, and therefore allows ports under 9000.

Not sure why the chart doesn't expose the SSL port? Does Emby maintain the chart?

In my case, using wireguard (due to ISP using CGNAT) to connect remotely, so, it doesn't matter if using https or not.

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

dgrigo

Ah, ok... I will wait, don't want to go Docker at that time, I can access the server remotely just with http, and hope whoever maintain the official chart will do an update...

What i don't understand is why if I click the Host networking in the official chart I get an error.( if it was working I think that DNLA would work )

Nm, thanks for your answer, I only use wireguard on Qbittorrent and will leave it like this.

Dinos

Edited by dgrigo

Q-Droid

They're all using Docker images for the containers and the benefits of K8s don't apply to Emby so there is no downside to using the Docker deployment option. But due to the TrueNAS Scale restrictions on starting port you might never get DLNA working unless maybe a VM is used for Emby.

The more I look at Scale the more I feel like there's too much lock-in for a casual home user. Primarily it's a platform for scalable custom and enterprise apps so the user apps from charts feel half-assed.

sfatula

You can use any port you want with docker and external interface. I'm even using port 80 (with separate IP) for Nextcloud via my own custom docker image. The host networking button in the Truenas Emby chart doesn't seem to do much, it's supposed to expose "Add External Interface" and other buttons to allow you to define a separate IP address if you wish. But the chart doesn't allow that (but could). It's not huge changes needed to the chart to allow Emby to work even better.

sfatula

So, I have noticed using the official Truenas Scale version, that when 2 recordings happen at the same time (livetv), they get messed up. There is some sort of issue there, not sure what it is. I do notice when I browse to the hdhomerun web interface, it says Emby has a tuner but it's locked by 192.168.3.1, my router not the scale machine. I had gone back to the official version but might have to not use it. 

What happens is each recording at the same time has it's picture all broken up. Let's say show 1 records from 7 to 8 pm, maybe it stops at 8:02 at 2 minutes late. Show 2 starts recording at 7 and goes to 9. Show 1 is all garbled. Show 2's first few minutes are garbled, but magically at 8:02, is perfect.

Well, this did not hold true on the latest recordings, though, 2 at once seems to matter. Another possibility is the setting to create thumbnails. The Truenas Scale server does not have a GPU. My old machine did, so, creating them immediately was not an issue. I see from Truenas report history that the system load rose to 18 during the time one recording was creating thumbnails and the other was recording. I wonder if it missed a lot of frames during that time.

I've yet to have a single news recording (10PM and I never have another show recording) go bad yet. But I'm not sure it's the thumbnails either (creating those for Roku). The first recording tonight was on it's own. So, both theories likely go out. I'll find it yet!

It may have to do with the Kubernetes networking somehow.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

I am using it now, I wanted to use the official version but had that issue I noted. I know Truecharts somehow does networking differently so hoping that allows it to just work. You can use port 8096 with Truecharts version.

sfatula
8 minutes ago, dgrigo said:

Any Update? Sure I can use 8096 , but it don't deploy to me,, have you figured out anything ?

Thus far it's working but I don't have more recordings, at least a few at once, until Monday night. It's recorded 2 single shows and they worked fine. Truecharts allows you to use 8096. Truecharts is currently using 4.7.4.0 version, Truescale app was using 4.7.6.0.

dgrigo

@sfatulaman, update catalog first! there is a new build 4.7.6.0, you are using the old one go to catalogs and refresh catalog

Untitled.jpg

Edited by dgrigo
  • Thanks 1

sfatula

This is not good. Still having live tv recording issues on TrueNAS Scale, this time using Truecharts version. Recording while playing tonight, and recording got messed up. I had checked the tuner signal here and there during the recording using the HDHomerun url, and, it was reporting 100% across the board which I knew as I've been using them for years.

Not sure where to go with this. It's really odd. Playback always works, never an issue to date. It's recording that is the issue. I guess I did not test this well enough when I moved over to TrueNAS. I was testing playback using the various methods of running Emby. The recording issues started the day I started recording on TrueNAS. Had worked for many years from an ubuntu machine. It has happened on basically every channel (don't get very many).

Any ideas on how to figure out the issue?

Edited by sfatula

dgrigo

I will do some tests this week as I hadn't tested recording so much, and will get back to you, give me an idea of your Hardware if you can.

Oh and an Idea of the problem you have on the recordings! They stop? Do they have Encoding Issues or what?

And have you done resilver (scrub) of disks yet?

Thanks

Edited by dgrigo

dgrigo

Also keep in mind that i have noticed problems when we use images from different sources, so after you uninstall do 

docker image prune -a

dgrigo

I am recording already, so will get back to you soon, just give me an idea of what goes wrong, is it something on picture? is it recording on different time? just an idea

dgrigo

I may have an idea, that i have not checked yet, but i notice heavy processing power when the catalog gets refreshed, it crawls my server to 100% usage, might be that.

because of that i installed what i wanted from truecharts and then I removed the catalog, so i have only 1 catalog to refresh, the ixs one.

Just an idea.

sfatula

It's not every recording. I have many times recorded several at once, or, playing back one recording while recording a different channel, etc. What seems to happen 50% or so of the time is the recordings break up, pixelated, or much worse sometimes.

My next attempt is to use a static IP for Emby.

Edited by sfatula