TrueNas Scale

dgrigo

dgrigo

Dunno, you have to check when the catalog do refresh, so refresh all the catalogs manually and check processor.

Also i will like to know, if you have checked HDHOMERUN to do the encoding

Edited by dgrigo

sfatula

Mine does not do encoding so no, everything is the same as before I switched to Truenas. I use the reporting screens to see historical CPU usage. Manually refreshing catalog yields 11% average TOTAL cpu, counting all other stuff going on. Using top to see it.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

Almost starting to wonder if I just had bad luck. I might go up in the attic and turn down the amplifier just in case somehow signal has changed. I did rescans and the like. I have not touched the amplifier in 7 years. hdhomerun status shows all 100's for the 3 measurements but maybe it's too strong now for some unknown (to me) reason.

sfatula

Now that I am using a static IP for Emby (different than the Scale host), I do note that DLNA now works on my lan! I can play DLNA stuff via vlc on my iPad from Emby on TrueNAS

Edited by sfatula
  • Thanks 1

sfatula

Just to document. 2 recordings going on right now, here's the top report. As you can see, no obvious resource limit here! I'm getting more convinced I just had bad luck and it's actually antenna, something has changed. I re-pointed it a bit today, but, was not smart about it. I think I should disconnect the amplifier and then point it. Then add it back for a better representation of signals.

Though there is still an oddity. Tonights broke up a few times, but seemed like normal antenna breakups (though I rarely had any before). But here's the oddity - I've had around 8 recordings I've watched since converting over to TrueNAS. All 8 have a bad section between 40 seconds and 3 minutes from the start, all 8. Several of those have zero other problem sections. That's just so odd. I think I will switch tuners also, I have 2 and I'll place the other one first. Later this week when I have no scheduled recordings like the weekend, I'll also update to the latest Scale version since an update came out. Just in case something goes wrong, want to have time to fix it.

1914781624_Screenshotfrom2022-08-1519-48-52.png.2d435f64c4f4153b0ecbfaf425188b0f.png

Edited by sfatula
  • Thanks 1

dgrigo

@sfatula

Must be your Antenna maybe, as for me 24 hours recording was fine, i have a 2 channel HDHomerun btw, my server is not that beafy as i had gone for saving power , an asrock rack c236 wsi with 8 on board sata, an 6300T processor (love the 35 w TDP now that energy have gone highway), 16 gb ram and 8 disks in z1.

works fine here.

Thats odd with the old recordings, are the disks formatted a new or was a convert from truenas core? I say this as i think the zfs got an update on scale.

Hope you will fix this. The server seems beyond requirements :P

Dinos

Edited by dgrigo

sfatula

The server is indeed way beyond requirements for Emby, but it's not just for Emby of course as it serves many purposes. Disk were as new and are enterprise drives. Glad to hear recording worked for you.

Some of the recording distortions don't look like antenna issues, never seen those types of distortions. But latest seems more like "normal" issues except that all recordings have initial issue near the front. Well, using other tuner tonight and will also be re-pointing today with amplifier off for finer control.

It's just hard to believe having been doing recordings for years now, that it happened to start the day I migrated to Truenas!

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

My TrueNAS Scale Emby Setup

I used the TrueCharts version as it has some extra features not found in the IX Systems version. This allows me, for example, to run Emby as it's own IP, and that in turn allows DLNA to work. I will note the sections of installing the chart where I changed things from default. Note this all required setting up a network bridge interface br0 via the TrueNAS Scale gui, that I am not documenting. It's in the Scale docs and forum posts.

Application Name: emby
Timezone: My timezone, which is America/Chicago, it defaulted to this for me
Networking and Services: Port 8096
Click on Show Expert Config
Interface Configuration, Host Interface: br0
IPAM Type: Use Static IP
Configure Static IP Addresses, Static IP: 192.168.3.22 or whatever local IP you want to dedicate to Emby
Configura Static Routes, Destination: 0.0.0.0
Gateway: 192.168.3.1 or whatever your network gateway is
dnsPolicy: Default
DNS Configuration, Name Servers: 192.168.3.1 or whatever your DNS is
Storage and Persistence, I may have gone overboard here but works for me. All 'Type of Storage' are set to Host Path including App Config storage, and automatic permissions I set to not clicked (off). I set hostpaths for:
App Config Storage
/home/emby/media points to my library of content
/backups for Emby backups via the backup plugin
/images is for my folder images for Infuse (I use custom images in Infuse), not necessary otherwise
/config/data/livetv so I can backup up livetv schedules, timers
/recordings for my DVR recordings, I keep these separate from my media library as they come and go and for backup purposes
/config/transcoding-temp I point to a directory on my boot pool, i named it /transcoding-temp. My boot pool is on a pair of SSD and TrueNAS Scale wastes the space if the SSD is of any decent size. Since mine is 120GB, 110GB or so is wasted otherwise. Since SSD is much faster, might as well transcode to it and get some use out of it. Note you have to build the directory on each boot, so, under System Settings in TrueNAS, Advanced, I made a Init/Shutdown Scripts to do s. I have as the command:

/usr/bin/mkdir /transcoding-temp; /usr/bin/chown emby:sfatula /transcoding-temp; /usr/bin/chmod 775 /transcoding-temp

and it's set as When of Post Init.
Do set the runASUser, Group, etc. to whatever you want to run Emby as
Under Resources and Devices, I do set custom resource limits. The reason is I find transcoding on 4 threads not good enough or barely good enough for some content when using Emby client. So, I set CPU to 8000m, which apparently means 8 hyperthreads. My CPu has 32 so not a big deal.

So, within Emby, under network settings. I do allow remote connections, I put public https port number to my reverse proxies port (which I just left at 443), External domain is my domain of the reverse proxy machine, secure connection mode is set to Handled by reverse proxy, and I define the local IP address I assigned in the Emby install above. All of this means by dashboard screen is correct for in home and remote access. Also, with the reverse proxy and when remote, I don't have to worry about SSL access within truenas, the reverse proxy handles SSL. While the traffic between the proxy and my Emby machine might be unencrypted, it's not as I actually use Wireguard for that connection since I have a CGNAT home network.

All of this works very well for me now. You may have different requirements or settings needed. I no longer have any issues with Emby on TrueNAS scale. I just wanted to document my settings in case it is of some use to someone else. The TrueCharts version is much more flexible and functional.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well! Nice job, I bid the apple you send me and did the bridge think and works, have to do some tests but you had a great idea!

Thank you very much Steve ! 

PS. how is yours after all that time ? any problems ?

sfatula
38 minutes ago, dgrigo said:

Well! Nice job, I bid the apple you send me and did the bridge think and works, have to do some tests but you had a great idea!

Thank you very much Steve ! 

PS. how is yours after all that time ? any problems ?

No issues that non Truenas Emby didn't have. Just perfect.  Run local and remote with no issues.

Ok, did some further inspection, and i believe this works with dnla cause it broke the Kubernetes networking, it's kinda of bug or oversight! if you check advanced settings on apps , I believe you will understand if you do some tests.

Well it will work as it works for a few, wonder if you already did a restart or something on server.

sfatula

Not sure what you mean, I have something like 16 apps now running, all perfectly, no issues for quite some time now. I believe dlna works as we are bypassing kubernetes private lan by assigning Emby it's own IP. There's no bug or problem there, that's the way it's supposed to work.

• 3 months later...
bennymac
On 7/12/2022 at 1:26 AM, dgrigo said:

Hey, Those screenshots show exactly what you have to fill in truenas-scale  installation, for the user you choose, in my case the user uid:1000 and gid:1000

which is the user i have to access my server also in samba shares.

before you start the installation create the 2 datasets or directories if you prefer and change permissions to the user you choose in truenas ui, as you have to select them in installation.

truenas_1.jpg.e845dbc7cf7ec1ce10cde15a97ecc7db.jpgtruenas_2.jpg.6c8de6e037e47a75481999caaa2a2426.jpgtruenas_3.jpg.946283b853c58ea7c64ec3001c9abe7e.jpg

Hey @dgrigo I followed your screens here by creating 2 datasets (emby and library). Until following your screens i wasn't able to add any library in the setup wizard of emby, so thanks. 

I'm brand new to truenas so still trying to get my head around some terminologies compared to Windows.

My problem: I can select the "Library" dataset in the add library setup for Emby, set it to Movies content type but of course i need to create sub folders in the /library and I'd need to use Windows to add "Movies" "TV" "Music" folders and organize media. Do that do i add SMB Shares in Truenas first?
Last night I went and created and SMB share to the /library dataset and now i can see the sub folders on my Win PC and made sub folder for (Movies, TV, Music).

So my issue is how do i get those sub folders into Emby libraries? Emby can't see them when either editing or creating Library in Emby i can't see those sub folders (Movies, TV, Music) Even if i try to manually type /library/Movies it just says "Path not found"

Thanks.

bennymac

The more i look into this the more it seems it's a permission issue. I've removed Emby, redone the dataset's trying different things but can't get it to work.

The more i look online the more i'm confused. There doesn't appear to be a setup guide for Scale as yet.

sfatula
43 minutes ago, bennymac said:

The more i look into this the more it seems it's a permission issue. I've removed Emby, redone the dataset's trying different things but can't get it to work.

The more i look online the more i'm confused. There doesn't appear to be a setup guide for Scale as yet.

So, it's going to depend on what you call setup. Truenas Scale is based on Linux, and any Scale setup guide would likely not include general Linux stuff. There's an assumption the user knows Linux, ZFS, SMB, permissions, some Docker concepts, etc. etc. All of that it unlikely to show in a setup guide. Additionally, without that knowledge, it will be tough to fix things if things go wrong down the road. Then there are backups, Linux problem solving, networking, etc. I don't see Scale as a great product for noobs to the Linux world. With enough persistance, you can make it work but it's a fairly good learning curve. 

Any Emby setup guide would have to be even bigger, various options, Scale, Linux, and everything else mentioned above and more. 

Just my thoughts. You might find help here, another option is truenas scale forums. I myself would suggest the Scale forums as you will end up with more questions than just this. It's important to understand how things work so you don't have a week of downtime when something goes wrong. Or worse. 

For me, I was intimately familiar with Debian/ubuntu, more than a decades worth. There was still a learning curve for Scale but nothing too bad. So, I got Emby to work and kept plugging away at it to get the precise sort of setup I wanted. It's so great now. Everything works, from remote access to all clients and so on, and it's super fast on Scale. 

@bennymac

Hello ,

Emby runs as user bin uid2 so bin have to have access to all your library media, as well as config directory.

you can check this, if you open a shell, and type top and enter, the emby server running process use bin user.

If you created a user name uid1000 and used that user to take ownership of the files in you dataset media, then bin has no access, so i found that add user id 1000 to Auxiliary groups in that count also the render group and video group.

And give permissions to the dataset to others. on gidlist env you have to have 2,44,107,1000. my emby user id is 1000 and gid is 1000.

Sorry don't have time @ the moment to give screen shots or go deeply, start from what i say.

Edited by dgrigo

bennymac
6 hours ago, dgrigo said:

@bennymac

Hello ,

Emby runs as user bin uid2 so bin have to have access to all your library media, as well as config directory.

you can check this, if you open a shell, and type top and enter, the emby server running process use bin user.

If you created a user name uid1000 and used that user to take ownership of the files in you dataset media, then bin has no access, so i found that add user id 1000 to Auxiliary groups in that count also the render group and video group.

And give permissions to the dataset to others. on gidlist env you have to have 2,44,107,1000. my emby user id is 1000 and gid is 1000.

Sorry don't have time @ the moment to give screen shots or go deeply, start from what i say.

Ok thanks heaps for the info. I'll give it another whirl before giving up sticking to Windows :P

• 2 months later...
snoopyjoe14

Hi, I have Emby server 4.7.11.0 running on Truenas Scale app. I just installed a GTX 960 in the server to help with some transcoding and noticed that the app can see the GPU but fails to open the device. "Failed to open the drm device..." appears in the hardware log for both my Nvidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU. The render it's trying to open has permissions root/render. I saw a few old post showing the group being video. I'm also aware that "bin" needs to have access to the library data. Is it just a permission issue to get transcoding working?

hardware_detection-63814607843.txt

On 3/16/2023 at 8:08 PM, snoopyjoe14 said:

Hi, I have Emby server 4.7.11.0 running on Truenas Scale app. I just installed a GTX 960 in the server to help with some transcoding and noticed that the app can see the GPU but fails to open the device. "Failed to open the drm device..." appears in the hardware log for both my Nvidia GPU and Intel integrated GPU. The render it's trying to open has permissions root/render. I saw a few old post showing the group being video. I'm also aware that "bin" needs to have access to the library data. Is it just a permission issue to get transcoding working?

hardware_detection-63814607843.txt 136.83 kB · 1 download

@snoopyjoe14 are you experiencing a problem or are you just asking about the info in the hardware detection log file?

snoopyjoe14
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@snoopyjoe14 are you experiencing a problem or are you just asking about the info in the hardware detection log file?

Transcoding is not working. I usually transcode my HDHomeRun video for Android to fix the discoloration issue. After switching from Truenas core to scale, transcoding has stopped working. I attached the hardware detection log because it was the only thing I could find related to the GPU. Here is what I see under the transcoding section.

Picture2.png.jpg

On 3/21/2023 at 2:58 PM, snoopyjoe14 said:

Transcoding is not working. I usually transcode my HDHomeRun video for Android to fix the discoloration issue. After switching from Truenas core to scale, transcoding has stopped working. I attached the hardware detection log because it was the only thing I could find related to the GPU. Here is what I see under the transcoding section.

Picture2.png.jpg

Hi, please attach the emby server log as well. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
bennymac
On 7/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, dgrigo said:

Ok as I finished installing and was trying to find out what I am doing wrong, the Install on scale and reading contradicted info, I have to say this to help anyone who want to Install it and save some time.

There is no emby user and don't try to make one, all is simple as Emby install on kubernetes use the internal user bin.

So for the library , make a dataset and then for it change permissions and give them to bin user, and bin group.

all your media files must  go under that dataset.

for the emby login choose whatever login you want, internally its using bin, that way you have full permissions on the dataset.

I like to  install programs into separate directories so under the root dataset make an emby directory before you install it.

so its like this : main storage/emby directory not an emby dataset and main  storage/library dataset.

on the environment as you install it , you have to write application name emby, networking don't click host network , just the port 9096

on Storage , you have to point to the directory you made for emby program ,so click on Enable Host Path for Emby Server Config Volume and point to main storage emby.

on the Configure Emby Server Extra Host Path Volumes and point to the dataset that you made for your library. that's main Storage/library or media or whatever you had choose.

don't click read only for that.

on update strategy select kill pods before creating new ones.

on GPU Configuration  choose how many you want, you can change anytime the config in kubernetes ,

So thats it, start install and enjoy hasle free instalation, from then on copy your media, and you are set.

Enjoy

Hi @dgrigo

I'm a new truenas scale user and used your info above to get a test Emby server working but i have a question.

I already created and SMB share created from a Datatest - to hold library contents. I already had a APP datatest setup and the Emby Application was point to it.

When i followed your post above about Configure Emby Server Extra Host Path Volumes and pointing it to the library folder i already had an SMB Shared created on that Dataset and when clicking OK after adding the Extra Host Path i got an error about the Share already being in use? I don't know how to get around that?

What i did in Truenas was disable and turn off the SMB Share, then add the Extra Host Path so i can see the mounted folder for adding Library then i went and turned the SMB Share back on, so i could see the folder in Windows to add content to it.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks.