GPU Transcoding (Intel QuickSync and nVidia NVENC)

witteschnitte

What are the minimum media info needed to trigger QSV? Is there anything we can control to ensure it's provided? i.e. ServerWMC Or are we at the mercy of the TV provider?

rcocchiararo

Hi there

I found emby by kinda ranting about plex :P

In a thread over the other side (i own a perpetual plexpass subscription), i was pointed to:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/GPU-Transcoding

By reading the last few pages of this forum, i see that is no longer valid.

Right now, i have a PC with an overclocked i7-920 (first gen, no quicksync), and Nvidia 980. That card supports NVENC, so i wanted to try it with emby while i wait for a mini pc with a much newer CPU that has quicksync.

For starters, when i get the new pc so that my gaming one can be left out of server duty, will i be able to use EMBY stable/beta/dev with quicksync out of the box? i understand that is the case.

Now, for my second question, i understand that nvenc is not supported out of the box for legal reasons. Can i get it to work in a similar fashion to that old wiki hack? 

I mean, is it harder than just compiling ffmpeg by myself / imposible?

thx

ps: following that ancestral guide, i downloaded emby and swaped to  DEV branch. if thre is no way to offload to the nvidia card, can i go back to stable without reinstalling ? :P

Hi there

I found emby by kinda ranting about plex :P

In a thread over the other side (i own a perpetual plexpass subscription), i was pointed to:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/GPU-Transcoding

By reading the last few pages of this forum, i see that is no longer valid.

Right now, i have a PC with an overclocked i7-920 (first gen, no quicksync), and Nvidia 980. That card supports NVENC, so i wanted to try it with emby while i wait for a mini pc with a much newer CPU that has quicksync.

For starters, when i get the new pc so that my gaming one can be left out of server duty, will i be able to use EMBY stable/beta/dev with quicksync out of the box? i understand that is the case.

Now, for my second question, i understand that nvenc is not supported out of the box for legal reasons. Can i get it to work in a similar fashion to that old wiki hack? 

I mean, is it harder than just compiling ffmpeg by myself / imposible?

thx

ps: following that ancestral guide, i downloaded emby and swaped to  DEV branch. if thre is no way to offload to the nvidia card, can i go back to stable without reinstalling ? :P

Hi, welcome. Normally you could go back to stable but not this time around due to breaking database changes on the dev branch. Those changes are also on beta so you could at least go back to beta, but not stable.

It will not help with what you're looking for though. I have asked in this thread for someone to do the work of researching the command line adjustments that need to be made, but so far nothing has materialized.

rcocchiararo

ok, so i will reinstall (not that i will loose much right now).

if it is beyond ffmpeg with nvidia support and that. i will drop it, my i7 is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also applied this to the dev and beta branches to make it easier for others to jump in and test. Thanks.

I tried the new ffmpeg build. I'm not sure about problems, because I reinstalled Ubuntu and changed desktop environment to Unity. And before I tried this, streaming was smoothly when playing in browser (but it didn't use gpu in the same way). So I make a fresh ubuntu install. After I run the new ffmpeg build and changed transcoding settings to Intel quick sync, the streaming is lagged in browser and I don't seen any particulary GPU usage with "intel_gpu_tool" command. After I set transcoding settings to auto and playing is smoothly again. I am not an expert, so I'm curious others how test it.

Maybe, I should wait a built-in solution in emby.

Edited by zserrbo

Only windows right now. We are going to need community help for others. As of yesterday the ffmpeg build we ship with several Linux distros now includes libmfx, but I do not know what other prerequisites are required on the system first

babgvant

Do you know if ASUSTOR is one of them? Just reviewed an AS5002T and it has QS enabled (one of their apps uses it). Would be great if Emby could piggyback :).

Depends if the asustor package is using the included ffmpeg out supplying it's own. The package is maintained by an asustor rep so I'm not sure. Best thing to do is ask them to update to the latest emby server version then test it out

Nobody else has any feedback? This feature is now in the stable release for Docker, Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse and CentOS

runtimesandbox

Nobody else has any feedback? This feature is now in the stable release for Docker, Debian, Ubuntu, Opensuse and CentOS

Is this for NVENC or Intel? 

If its intel I will try a test server over the weekend if I can

Is this still accurate? https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/GPU-Transcoding  

Maybe it needs an update, some posts ago it said this is now in the beta branch for testing but the above link still says Dev branch. If that is the case do I still need to replace ffmpeg manually or is NVEC now an option in the GUI in beta? I would like to test out NVEC with a GTX 970.

Thanks

rcocchiararo

That wiki is super outdated.

I posted in page 26 mentioning that i noticed after trying to follow it.

quicksync comes in stable now, no tweaking, and nvidia is not an optioon.