GPU Transcoding (Intel QuickSync and nVidia NVENC)

witteschnitte

I just need  to get some thing clear...

I updated my Emby server, and i see the QSV option under decoding in playback.

Do i need to replace the ffmpeg.exe file as with the older GPU transcoding guide?

//TjaLfE

jmgriffes

Excellent, thank you. This is available now for testing in the latest dev.

Luke,

Just updated to: Version 3.0.5739.23113

Under Playback -> Trancoding I don't see the QSV Settings. I have an Intel Core-3 with HD 4400 Graphics (I've used QSV with Handbrake before).

Am I missing something in my setup?

jmgriffes

You don't see this option?

55fc6bdf7278a_qsv.jpg

I did not. Figured out the problem though. I was accessing my server through http://app.emby.media.

Went straight to my server via IP, option is most certainly there.

Thanks, just needed my thought process jogged a bit.

Hi

Thanks @@babgvant, Luke !!! for your hard work. These days Live TV is the only thing I have transcoding. I have enabled qsv and all seems to be working pretty well. :) I haven't made a definitive study but maybe 10-20% cpu reduction in mpeg2 transcoding, which is great. Does that jive with your expectations testing?

Thanks again

-vicpa

Is there a writeup on how to install Emby, rebuild the ffmpeg and stuff?

I am rebuilding my server in a couple weeks and I would like to get that setup.

Tranquil

As far as I can see there is a GPU accelerated decoding included in the new Alpha Server. The re-encoding process is still CPU based. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Luke,

Just updated to: Version 3.0.5739.23113

Under Playback -> Trancoding I don't see the QSV Settings. I have an Intel Core-3 with HD 4400 Graphics (I've used QSV with Handbrake before).

Am I missing something in my setup?

Is this a core i3? I'm thinking of downgrading to a core i3 4130T for significant power consumption savings... Just wondered if its good enough for a couple of streams???

babgvant

Is this a core i3? I'm thinking of downgrading to a core i3 4130T for significant power consumption savings... Just wondered if its good enough for a couple of streams???

FWIW, you probably won't see much aggregate power savings moving from same gen i3 -> 4130T unless you spend a lot of time at high utilization. If you do, then you're effectively reducing capacity directly proportional to the reduction in power budget. In most scenarios, unless you're having a hard time cooling (or keeping it quiet) it's better to run a standard i3 and put effort into reducing idle power consumption (where it probably spends most of its time) by getting a more efficient PSU, playing with HDD spin down times, etc.

• Like 1

FWIW, you probably won't see much aggregate power savings moving from same gen i3 -> 4130T unless you spend a lot of time at high utilization. If you do, then you're effectively reducing capacity directly proportional to the reduction in power budget. In most scenarios, unless you're having a hard time cooling (or keeping it quiet) it's better to run a standard i3 and put effort into reducing idle power consumption (where it probably spends most of its time) by getting a more efficient PSU, playing with HDD spin down times, etc.

I've got a core i5 4670k the tdp on the low power i3 is less than half.. I suppose I could under clock the i5 but not sure if that would create issues???

babgvant

I've got a core i5 4670k the tdp on the low power i3 is less than half.. I suppose I could under clock the i5 but not sure if that would create issues???

TDP is peak, this # is intended for understanding HSF/PSU sizing. It is not indicative of what the IPG pulls in other states.

For e.g. when I was testing the i7-4770k (84W TDP) in a DZ87KLT (high-end ATX board w/ dual-NIC etc) it pulled 22-23W idle at the wall. Same board with a Pentium G325 was nearly identical. Big difference under load, but there's also an order of magnitude delta in performance (4C/8T v 2C).

TBC, not saying you won't see some difference, but it won't be enough to ROI the price of the new CPU. Better to focus on other components (a PSU can save you 10W all the time). Even if you jump to Skylake I don't think you'll see enough power saving to justify the expense -- there are plenty of other good reasons to upgrade to Skylake (e.g. QS H.265 encoding).

Edited by babgvant
  • Like 1

I actually up a spreadsheet a while ago to compare various wattages for light bulbs.  I modified it a bit a couple months back to compare usage/costs for various server builds.

Quick Math...

Power is $0.09 per kiloWatt here.

i3-4130T @ 35w

i3-4130 @ 54w

Xeon E3-1276 @ 84w

Running at max for 24/hrs for a year the YEARLY costs are as follows:

i3-4130T: $27.22

i3-4130: $41.99 ($14.77 more than the i3-4130T)

e3-1276: $65.32 ($38.10 more than the i3-4130T; $23.33 more than the i3-4130)

The reality is that the e3 would be in idle prob 80% more than either i3, and the i3-4130 would be in idle 20-30% more than the i3-4130T so ACTUAL differences would be quite a bit less.  However, with a difference of $15 for a YEAR the difference is absolutely not worth it.  For a yearly difference of $40 the difference isn't worth it either.  I saw a nearly 10x bigger impact on my bill by switching to LED lights in my house!

• Like 1

techworld

hi guys,

I'm recently migrated from Plex to Emby, and I'm glad Emby has GPU support in development.

I'm currently have a Nvidia GTX 750Ti ,and I'm plan to use it for Emby.

Will it work?

Thanks.
Edited by techworld

• 3 weeks later...

I've been attempting to use Quicksync transcoding (i3 laptop from a couple of years ago) via the recent dev builds but cant get it to fire up the GPU.

I've selected the QSV transcode in the server config as in the prior posts images.

Am I missing something, is there anything else I install apart for the Emby server software?

Btw, I know the GPU is capable of transcoding stuff as I've tested with q264 and it kicks along nicely. 

• 2 weeks later...
witteschnitte

Hey. Long time ago i opend this threat. I am very suppriced what happed to emby in the past year. amazing! So i tried this quicksync feature in the new beta.

I am using ubuntu 14.04 with custom kernel 3.14.5 and intel media SDK is installed.

unfortunately emby does not use quicksync. If i checked quicksync in the setting it take much more time to open the stream. so i think emby will test it and result with to use the normal cpu transcoding.

So what can i do? Is this feature only available on windows?

Regards

Felix

it is part of the beta release on windows and will be available on other operating systems once the release goes stable.