emby not closing previous stream, 2 instances in ffmpeg, freezing

eeeeeesy
Go to solution Solved by eeeeeesy,

EODCrafter
On 12/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, cayars said:

Ghost stream, that's a new one. LOL

What @neik said.

We have been reporting Emby Ghost Streams for Years, You being sarcastic?

Quick search......

2021-12-29_14-12.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

No I just meant the name "Ghost Stream".  I know the issue, just don't recall it being called that (but appropriate).

• Like 1

EODCrafter
9 hours ago, cayars said:

No I just meant the name "Ghost Stream".  I know the issue, just don't recall it being called that (but appropriate).

I think it was @alturismo(from xTeVe) that "coined the phrase" ;)

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

eeeeeesy

i have now tried VLC, tivimate and jellyfin with ersatzTV and can confirm the issue is non existent in those players so must be an isolated emby issue.

VLC i tried locally. tivimate and jellyfin i tried remotely.

• Agree 1

EODCrafter
5 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

i have now tried VLC, tivimate and jellyfin with ersatzTV and can confirm the issue is non existent in those players so must be an isolated emby issue.

VLC i tried locally. tivimate and jellyfin i tried remotely.

My Solution was to just get a Provider (Private, Not Open) with 5 Connections....not sure if that option is available to you :(

Edited by EODCrafter

eeeeeesy
14 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

My Solution was to just get a Provider (Private, Not Open) with 5 Connections....not sure if that option is available to you :(

i have paid services too and they work fine. also, i think i found what was different in jellyfin compared to emby but its too soon to say for sure. im going to keep testing all day today before i report back the solution, but this looks like the fix so far, its looking really good.

EODCrafter
45 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

i have paid services too and they work fine. also, i think i found what was different in jellyfin compared to emby but its too soon to say for sure. im going to keep testing all day today before i report back the solution, but this looks like the fix so far, its looking really good.

You re-coded Emby? How? it's not open-source.

Edited by EODCrafter

eeeeeesy
2 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

You re-coded Emby? How? it's not open-source.

no i didnt have to look at the emby code. the fix is disabling hw acceleration in emby. i noticed jellyfin has hw acceleration disabled by default and when i enable hw acceleration in jellyfin was when i got freezing, then i disabled it and the freezing was gone. my emby server has hw acceleration enabled so i disabled it in emby and the freezing was gone. if youre using an external plugin in emby like ersatzTV or dizqueTV for custom channels you can enable hw acceleration in those so ffmpeg uses the gpu, but you absolutely must disable hw acceleration in emby and jellyfin servers so that embys ffmpeg uses CPU.

the only problem im having right now is every 5 minutes the stream freezes for a second but that might only be because i did not clear the transcoding and cache folders in ersatzTV before testing so im going to try that next. but with hw acceleration off in emby and jellyfin servers its way better even when i quickly change channels theres no forever freezing going on at start up or while playing and channels are transitioning to the next movie perfectly. i also took my ersatz m3u and epg out of xteve and put it directly into emby and i see faster channel loading.

can you test with hw acceleration off in emby server to see if the problem is fixed and youre getting 1 second freezing every 5 minutes?

Edited:

there appears to still be an issue in emby only when a channel is transitioning to the next movie for the second time, so after 1 movie it transitions perfectly but the after the second movie it freezes while transitioning. i will see if jellyfin has that issue too.

Edited again:

the transitioning freeze might have happened when i added another m3u and xmltv to emby and refreshed the guide because that issue is not happening this time around but i will keep it running. thats why i said its too early to tell. but i am definitley on the right track by disabling hw acceleration.

Edited by eeeeeesy

Just an FYI, many of us use both Nvidia and Intel/QuickSync without issue for Live TV.
Problems like that are normally older hardware or old drivers and system drivers/software not current.

What GPU do you have and what version of the drivers are you using?
Windows?

• Agree 1

eeeeeesy
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Just an FYI, many of us use both Nvidia and Intel/QuickSync without issue for Live TV.
Problems like that are normally older hardware or old drivers and system drivers/software not current.

What GPU do you have and what version of the drivers are you using?
Windows?

evga nvidia rtx 3060 xc GPU.  driver version 30.0.14.9729 from the nvidia site. i dont use quick sync i use nvenc h.264 and have en-coded all my live tv content as such too. yeah on windows 10.

Edited by eeeeeesy

EODCrafter

Ghost Stream Issue, I have always contributed to the Client "not letting go" of the Stream. Never had nothing to do with HW. All my TV Direct Plays (LAN Wired) except on cellphone using LTE, but issue was still present. Linux Intel VAAPI encoding/decoding. If I remember right, @Luke cut off "open-sourcing" about the time he added HW Encoding/Decoding and Open-source JellyFin never could get that feature quite right.

2022-01-01_06-30.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

eeeeeesy
12 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

Ghost Stream Issue, I have always contributed to the Client "not letting go" of the Stream. Never had nothing to do with HW. All my TV Direct Plays (LAN Wired) except on cellphone using LTE, but issue was still present. Linux Intel VAAPI encoding/decoding. If I remember right, @Luke cut off "open-sourcing" about the time he added HW Encoding/Decoding and Open-source JellyFin never could get that feature quite right.

2022-01-01_06-30.png

upon checking the hw accelleration setting in emby just now, i noticed everything was disabled in the advanced tab. so now i have it setup like this and is working without freezing on startup. however im having a problem with it freezing every 2nd or 3rd movie when the channel transitions to the next movie it freezes. the first movie transitions fine but the rest freeze and i have to stop and start the channel again for it to play. this was happening with hardware acceleration off as well.  i started out with a buffer size in ersatz tv and dizquetv at the default buffer size 4000 then 5500 but i was getting freezing or buffering every 5 minutes on the dot so i added a 0 to the end to make it 55000 which seems to have fixed the the 5 minutes buffering but i have freezing when transitioning with it that high. i also have threads set to 0 in ersatz and dizquetv and im not sure what i should set that to.

Do you have some ideas on what i can try to fix the transitioning?

here are my transcoding settings in emby that i was talking about earlier.

Screenshot 2022-01-01 192846.png

Screenshot 2022-01-01 193107.png

Screenshot 2022-01-01 193159.png

13 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

evga nvidia rtx 3060 xc GPU.  driver version 30.0.14.9729 from the nvidia site. i dont use quick sync i use nvenc h.264 and have en-coded all my live tv content as such too. yeah on windows 10.

What do you mean you encode all your live tv content to h.264?  Do you mean after it's recorded you convert it?

Ghost Stream Issue, I have always contributed to the Client "not letting go" of the Stream. Never had nothing to do with HW. All my TV Direct Plays (LAN Wired) except on cellphone using LTE, but issue was still present. Linux Intel VAAPI encoding/decoding.

That's what it sounds like to me as well.

If I remember right, @Luke cut off "open-sourcing" about the time he added HW Encoding/Decoding and Open-source JellyFin never could get that feature quite right.

That's a bit of a misnomer as the code that was open is still published with each release on GitHub. The Premiere parts are not published of course.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

upon checking the hw accelleration setting in emby just now, i noticed everything was disabled in the advanced tab. so now i have it setup like this and is working without freezing on startup. however im having a problem with it freezing every 2nd or 3rd movie when the channel transitions to the next movie it freezes. the first movie transitions fine but the rest freeze and i have to stop and start the channel again for it to play. this was happening with hardware acceleration off as well.  i started out with a buffer size in ersatz tv and dizquetv at the default buffer size 4000 then 5500 but i was getting freezing or buffering every 5 minutes on the dot so i added a 0 to the end to make it 55000 which seems to have fixed the the 5 minutes buffering but i have freezing when transitioning with it that high. i also have threads set to 0 in ersatz and dizquetv and im not sure what i should set that to.

Do you have some ideas on what i can try to fix the transitioning?

here are my transcoding settings in emby that i was talking about earlier.

Screenshot 2022-01-01 193159.png

I would setup h.265 decoders as well.  Scroll down and green check "Enable throttling" as well.
Your GPU could certainly hand HDR tone mapping as well so you can use that too but it's up to you.

Could you do a test for me.  Setup a recording on a show you will be watching (and one you won't) and pad it 5 to 10 minutes post recording.  This should definitely record past the transitions point.  After it's complete what happens if you play that back when it hits the "transition point"?

• Agree 1

eeeeeesy

What do you mean you encode all your live tv content to h.264?  Do you mean after it's recorded you convert it?

yeah i convert the files to nvenc h.264 mp4 aac in handbreak manually

Could you do a test for me.  Setup a recording on a show you will be watching (and one you won't) and pad it 5 to 10 minutes post recording.  This should definitely record past the transitions point.  After it's complete what happens if you play that back when it hits the "transition point"?

i dont know what you mean by"pad it to 5 to 10 minutes". i dont see that option in emby or ersatzTV

Edited by eeeeeesy

EODCrafter
1 hour ago, eeeeeesy said:

yeah i convert the files to nvenc h.264 mp4 aac in handbreak manually

i dont know what you mean by"pad it to 5 to 10 minutes". i dont see that option in emby or ersatzTV

2022-01-01_21-47.png

Edited by EODCrafter

eeeeeesy
15 hours ago, cayars said:

That's what it sounds like to me as well.

That's a bit of a misnomer as the code that was open is still published with each release on GitHub. The Premiere parts are not published of course.

yeah thats what i meant by ghost streams but im using a different program now so i cant quite tell if the ghost stream is still happening. i just assumed it was related to my freezing on both programs. im using erstz tv now but i was using dizquetv before and thats when i could see the ffmpeg console still playing streams even when i stopped the stream. 

anyway i think my freezing is solved by doing the advanced settings in hardware accelleration tab or just disabling hw accelleration. all there is left to do it figure out how to fix my transitioning issue which you already pointed me to a fix but i will have to try it tomorrow when i wake up.

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
13 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

2022-01-01_21-47.png

@cayarssetting this to 5 didnt fix the transitioning. it still freezes forever after 3 transitions.

Screenshot 2022-01-02 122732.png

Screenshot 2022-01-02 122759.png

Edited by eeeeeesy

Clarify please.  What I'm interested in knowing is if the recording does in fact go 5 minutes past the transition.
Then I'd like to know if you can play back the recording without issue.

eeeeeesy
51 minutes ago, cayars said:

Clarify please.  What I'm interested in knowing is if the recording does in fact go 5 minutes past the transition.
Then I'd like to know if you can play back the recording without issue.

setting it to 5 is not making the channels next transition start at 5 minute into the show. it still starts at the very start. the show does play fine and so does the next transition. but every time it transitions on the 4th consecutive show played which is the 3rd transition is when the show freezes forever on startup.

Edited by eeeeeesy

pünktchen

If so, then it's my fault. It's not clear by your description because you are always talking about channel playback.

eeeeeesy

why do you guys keep calling it a recording? i dont want to record anything i just want to stream live tv channels that i created.