emby not closing previous stream, 2 instances in ffmpeg, freezing

eeeeeesy
Go to solution Solved by eeeeeesy,

eeeeeesy
14 hours ago, Luke said:

This should be improved for the next release. Thanks.

sorry to ask but when will the next release be released?

Probably not until after the Holidays.
If you want to try this now you could download and install the beta.

With Emby shutdown make a copy of the config and data folders under the programdata folder which on Windows will be something like:
C:\Users\carlo\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata (change my name "carlo" to your username)

Now if for some reason you have an issue with the beta version you can reported it in the forums, copy back those two files, uninstall the beta and reinstall the version you have now.
It's always best to restore the database and usually the config folders when installing an older version in case the database was upgraded or changed structure.

eeeeeesy
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Probably not until after the Holidays.
If you want to try this now you could download and install the beta.

With Emby shutdown make a copy of the config and data folders under the programdata folder which on Windows will be something like:
C:\Users\carlo\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata (change my name "carlo" to your username)

Now if for some reason you have an issue with the beta version you can reported it in the forums, copy back those two files, uninstall the beta and reinstall the version you have now.
It's always best to restore the database and usually the config folders when installing an older version in case the database was upgraded or changed structure.

what beta version do i download that has the ffmpeg ghost stream fix?

Edited by eeeeeesy

4 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

what beta version do i download that has the ffmpeg ghost stream fix?

Ghost stream, that's a new one. LOL

What @neik said.

eeeeeesy

thanks. im on the latest beta now but im still having an issue though. at the end of a movie or show, when transitioning to the next movie or show it just freezes forever as soon as the next movie or show appears. im using ersatzTV right now with a local library and connected to my emby server with m3u and xmltv.

@Happy2Play please split my issue into the Testing Area. Thanks.

Can you get us any logs that cover this transition when the problem happens?  That could be very useful!

eeeeeesy
1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

Have you tried in VLC if it advances to the next show. The "HLS Segmenter" of ErsatzTV is experimental!

i dont know how to try it in vlc but it does the same thing on mpeg.ts. ive also been talking to the ersatzTV dev and he says its an emby problem since it works with tivimate and is what the ersatz dev says he uses. ersatz dev said streams should work better with hls segmenter.

Edited by eeeeeesy

31 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

ersatz dev thinks this is the problem https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5419

as a work around for now im going to try putting the ersatz m3u and epg in xteve and set xteve to vlc rather than putting ersatz directly into emby.

I do believe he is correct about that because it's the same error being logged in the ffmpeg log.

This would be a stream error as it's probably out of spec.  Has he commented that their streams are correct?

eeeeeesy
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

I do believe he is correct about that because it's the same error being logged in the ffmpeg log.

This would be a stream error as it's probably out of spec.  Has he commented that their streams are correct?

this is what he said

"i mean, technically the entire etv project is still experimental, but the hls segmenter is the most proper streaming mode. the issue is likely that the EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY tag at program boundaries isn't properly supported (ffmpeg itself doesn't properly handle this - see https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5419) "

eeeeeesy

i have setup xteve as a middleman with vlc inplace of ffmpeg in xteve. the next continued movie played after about 2 minutes of being frozen on screen. though i usually have the infinite freeze occur on the second continued movie. i will keep it playing and see what happens with the next continued movie in just over an hour.

also this message shows up in the ersatz tv console interface when it switched to the next movie [16:56:52 INF] HLS segmenter will NOT work ahead for channel 1

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy

UPDATED INFO: 

emby beta server for windows, ersatzTV HLS segmenter mode with xteve and xteve set to use VLC instead of ffmpeg seems like  the way to go. ive played 3 shows in a row without major freezing.

NOTE: 

when changing any settings in ersatzTV you have to update/refresh your m3u and epg in xteve then manually refresh the guide data in emby server. i had to do this for ffmpeg to recogize HLS segmenter mode when i switched from mpeg.ts mode. then i had freezing but it was fixed by clearing cache and trancoding folders in emby server for windows and restarting all servers. i like the way hls segmenter transitions to the next movie or show. it is way smoother then mpeg.ts mode like the ersatz dev said would be.

i will keep testing to see if the freezing comes back.

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
3 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

UPDATED INFO: 

emby beta server for windows, ersatzTV HLS segmenter mode with xteve and xteve set to use VLC instead of ffmpeg seems like  the way to go. ive played 3 shows in a row without major freezing.

NOTE: 

when changing any settings in ersatzTV you have to update/refresh your m3u and epg in xteve then manually refresh the guide data in emby server. i had to do this for ffmpeg to recogize HLS segmenter mode when i switched from mpeg.ts mode. then i had freezing but it was fixed by clearing cache and trancoding folders in emby server for windows and restarting all servers. i like the way hls segmenter transitions to the next movie or show. it is way smoother then mpeg.ts mode like the ersatz dev said would be.

i will keep testing to see if the freezing comes back.

this was only good for the first play after setting everything up as described. i have switched to another channel and switch back and am now experiencing freezing and looping and glitched pixels on screen.embyserver.txtffmpeg-transcode-7eaa819e-8df0-4b6c-843b-a6f33632c9ba_1.txt

even when i back out of the stream in emby, i can see the ersatzTV transcoding folder is still populating with files so it must be still running in ffmpeg somewhere.

edited: 

mpeg.ts mode helps a bit but the next continued stream freezes for like 5 minutes before playing.

Edited by eeeeeesy

Honestly I really don't know how these streams play at all. I doubt there is anything that can be done as looks like the gods are smiling on you for these to play at all.
That last transcode file is nothing but errors and all kinds of things are wrong with the stream.

Personally I would get a different service. :)

eeeeeesy
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

Honestly I really don't know how these streams play at all. I doubt there is anything that can be done as looks like the gods are smiling on you for these to play at all.
That last transcode file is nothing but errors and all kinds of things are wrong with the stream.

Personally I would get a different service. :)

it happens with other programs too like dizquetv

1 hour ago, eeeeeesy said:

it happens with other programs too like dizquetv

You get the same error in the logs with those?  Or do you mean they just don't play?
Big difference as once might not a little tune-up or adjustment while the other just looks very difficult to overcome.

eeeeeesy
5 hours ago, cayars said:

You get the same error in the logs with those?  Or do you mean they just don't play?
Big difference as once might not a little tune-up or adjustment while the other just looks very difficult to overcome.

both dizquetv and ersatz tv play perfectly on first run and even transition properly until i change the channel and change back, then it loops a bunch of times before it freezes. i havent given the logs with dizquetv. i dont know what to look for in the logs either.

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
7 hours ago, cayars said:

you can follow my testing here