Emby Theater

Luke

yardameus

Option 2 I'd say is better, basically allows you to have almost  a global option if you want.

AdrianW

I think option 1 (global options} is best - it's set and forget. And no messing up the day-to-day UI with unnecessary check boxes.

But, I still can't see why anyone would ever want views to NOT be remembered. 

Edited by AdrianW

gcoupe

I guess there are 2  candidate solutions

1. Have 2 global preferences - remember sorts & remember views and don't have remember options on sort by and select view menus

or

2. Have have a remember sort option on the sort by menu and a remember view option on the view menu and no global option

which is best

2 as far as I'm concerned. I use different views and sort options for different media, and I want them all sticky, thank you very much.

Edited by gcoupe

AdrianW

2 as far as I'm concerned. I use different views and sort options for different media, and I want them all sticky, thank you very much.

Option 1 will give you exactly what you want.

Koleckai Silvestri

I guess there are 2  candidate solutions

1. Have 2 global preferences - remember sorts & remember views and don't have remember options on sort by and select view menus

or

2. Have have a remember sort option on the sort by menu and a remember view option on the view menu and no global option

which is best

Really not sure why it can't be both. 

1) Have global preferences that applies to all pages unless ->

2) an override is set for a page.

Since all the configuration is in XML files, just create an XML file for the page with the override. If the XML file exists then use it as an override. If not, use the global settings. Could even have a folder in %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Theater\config for each user. This would hold any customizations that user created on that machine. Admins with multiple MediaBrowser Theater installations could then copy the changes across the network if they chose.

You already override some pages like Unwatched, New Releases and Favorites under Movies so the ability exists.

• Like 3

Koleckai Silvestri

Option 1 will give you exactly what you want.

No, it won't. 

I want Movies to be Alphabetical, Ascending. I want Trailers to be Release Date, Descending. Option 1 will allow me to choose one of those and have it applied to everything. The exact opposite of what I want. What I want is different a sort order saved per page.

pmac

I'm gonna have to agree with @ here, it'd be nice to be able to set a "base" setting in the main configuration, to apply to all views; this way, you can get the majority of your views set a certain way, then be able to customize them on a per-page basis. As in his example of trailer sorting. I find alphabetical sorting of trailers useless, but find it's a necessity for movie titles, etc to be sorted alphabetically, except when viewing new releases, in which case I prefer them sorted by release date, descending.

AdrianW

No, it won't. 

I want Movies to be Alphabetical, Ascending. I want Trailers to be Release Date, Descending. Option 1 will allow me to choose one of those and have it applied to everything. The exact opposite of what I want. What I want is different a sort order saved per page.

Errm - yes it will. Go and read Shaun's post again - it says: 1. Have 2 global preferences - remember sorts & remember views.

What it doesn't say is "specify a single view and single sort for everything"

pmac

Actually, now that I've re-read option 1, maybe it is the correct option, if I'm understanding it correctly. At first I read it as: Set a global preference to apply to all pages. But now I see it as: set a global preference to remember sorting as you choose per page; kind of set it once for each page, and have it automatically remember where you left it. More like in MBC, correct? Although, I'd like some fine tuning available somehow, as in my example of viewing movies alphabetically, but viewing new releases sorted by date. I think if that's the way it would function, it would be better than option 2,because it eliminates some button presses. Although, Wayne's idea of a global preference would be nice as well, but I don't think that was one of the options. I think the options were just referring to 2 different ways we would save the settings, not 2 different methods to set the sort order/view setting.

pmac

So in other words, I've changed my pick to option 1 lol. But I don't really see why we even need a menu option, it should just save views by default. Why would anyone not want to save sort/view preferences? It'd be silly to want to set it up again every time you enter a view.

Koleckai Silvestri

I guess I don't understand what Shaun means as a global preference. The way I read it it is there will be a sort and a view set globally to the application and it will apply to all views. This is exactly how the app behaves now and it's largest display issue currently.

Maybe they should just add the theming features so we can create our own views and be done with it. Currently the web client has better sorting and display functionality.

foghat

Does MBT not resume if you use an external player?

With mpc-hc i can't ever resume and it never saves my resume points. Is this a known MBT issue or am i doing something wrong? Scene selection also doesn't work it starts from the beginning of movie no matter the scene i select.

Maybe it can be done, but I don't see how mbt would handle the resume and scene selection if you are using an external player - I am pretty sure MBT just passes the the file to the external player, I don't think there is any feedback from the player to mbt in terms of file position and such.

To get mpc-hc to resume, you need to set the 'remember file position' option within mpc-hc.  If you want to start the movie over, you will need to 'stop' and then 'play' without closing the player.   Note, this will give you resume functionality, but, again, I doubt it will show as resumeable within mbt.

AdrianW

MPC-HC can be used as an external player for MBC and resume & chapters work.

david3663

MPC-HC can be used as an external player for MBC and resume & chapters work.

yeah i know that but i am asking about MBT i am on windows 8 and don't use media center.

AdrianW

yeah i know that but i am asking about MBT i am on windows 8 and don't use media center.

I was replying to foghat who seemed to think it was impossible.

• Like 1

Aphid

When is music support due??

Likely after live TV, unless a developer wants to pick it up earlier than that.

• Like 1

dhallam

Im not sure on option 1 or 2 as it could work for different people.

For me I used to set the folder view manually for each of my folders , TV series, HD films all to list view  which now does not work obviously.

I think it needs two options 1 site wide view set for who want all views to be set the same, or set the views manually per folder or section as it used to work.

I used to set views manually and have to go into every TV series to change the view so didn't mind doing this as long as it keeps the settings, HD films was not mush of an issue as they are all in one folder apart from a few collections that again I set manually, but tv series was more of a pain but worthwhile.

But top work as normal the product is coming along very very well

njoak

When one of the MBT devs have time could you answer my question regarding external players please?

Previous reply by Luke to this question:

at the core level that's basically all i'm planning on for external players, since when all is said and done the internal player will be leaps and bounds beyond what mb2 was. so for external players it's really just giving you the ability to launch. i have set it up so that a plugin developer can can add playstate and resume support if they want, but the mbt core is not going to have that responsibility anymore. just need a volunteer.

From this thread:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3491-ext-player-mpc-hc-play-stateresumescenes-and-remote-control/

• Like 1

david3663

Does MBT not resume if you use an external player?

With mpc-hc i can't ever resume and it never saves my resume points. Is this a known MBT issue or am i doing something wrong? Scene selection also doesn't work it starts from the beginning of movie no matter the scene i select.

When one of the MBT devs have time could you answer my question regarding external players please?

AdrianW

Views and Sort order

Chris is going to do the implementation. I think what we are planning is

1. Global options for default view and sort order. (Defaults to Poster Strip & Alphabetical)

2. The ability to change the view and sort order for a particular page (category) until the page is closed

3. The ability to permanently  save #2 for a a particular page (category)

We might implement it in a number of steps as the ui for sort is a pretty big job.

I really think this is way more work than is actually required to give people what they want.

Here's my suggestion:

1. Always remember the selected view on every page type
  2. Have a single setting in the options: "Remember sort order"
  3. If the setting is checked then ever page type remembers the sort order when changed, otherwise it returns to alphabetical

I really can't see why anyone would want a view to return to some default setting after changing it.

• Like 3

pmac

I agree 100% with @@AdrianW, just have a check box in settings "Remember Views" and let the user set each view as they go and have MBT remember the setting. No need for anything extravagant, just quick and simple.

• Like 2