GPU Transcoding (Intel QuickSync and nVidia NVENC)

witteschnitte

smathers3

With release of 3.0.6050, how are you validating if encoding HW is present? I'm using a GeForce GT 720 (Kepler based NVENC) in another application on same box and it works fine. Emby still doesnt try to use it when I start transcoding (log shows ffmpeg using libx264 vs. nvenc_264) Using latest drivers.

With release of 3.0.6050, how are you validating if encoding HW is present? I'm using a GeForce GT 720 (Kepler based NVENC) in another application on same box and it works fine. Emby still doesnt try to use it when I start transcoding (log shows ffmpeg using libx264 vs. nvenc_264) Using latest drivers.

I would bump up to 3.0.6070. As far as how we validate, we are checking if your ffmpeg build has the necessary encoding libraries that allow it to utilize your gpu.

dark_slayer

However, my video card is used only at 2%-4%. Is it your case?

That should be normal, that is one of the big draws of nvenc for use with things like game stream... it only lowers graphics by a few percent

jscoys

That should be normal, that is one of the big draws of nvenc for use with things like game stream... it only lowers graphics by a few percent

Ok the fact that I have to disable throttling force my CPU to be at 35% average for decoding the whole movie, in addition to the nvenc used at 2-4%. I use Zeranoe build and I really don't understand why my CPU still at this high level. If I play a game on my computer with two ffmpeg decoding process it's impossible to continue playing...

Do I have to wait for the throttling available with NVENC decoding? Or maybe it's my Zeranoe build which is deficient? What is your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your build is fine. ffmpeg does not have a native means to throttle, we came up with a trick to get it to pause, but I'm sure there are situations where it won't work and this is probably one of them. Keep in mind the throttling only kicks in when the transcoding position gets really far ahead and that's not always going to happen anyway.

jscoys

Your build is fine. ffmpeg does not have a native means to throttle, we came up with a trick to get it to pause, but I'm sure there are situations where it won't work and this is probably one of them. Keep in mind the throttling only kicks in when the transcoding position gets really far ahead and that's not always going to happen anyway.

Yeah I know but this is a very useful feature when you've got two ffmpeg process at the same time. Anyway give us info when you would like to test a new trick to pause compatible with NVENC decoding [emoji3] would be very happy to test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have multiple simultaneous instances your system is probably being taxed to a degree that throttling is unlikely to happen anyway, because it's less likely that any of the processes will be able to jump out ahead far enough to take advantage of it. So I really would suggest to just not worry about it and enjoy your movies.

I also use the nvenc feature.

The gpu transcoding is a really nice thing.

thanks for this feature emby team.

We're glad you're enjoying it :)

Great news guys. The latest beta server, 3.0.119 adds support for VA API hardware transcoding, the Video Acceleration API.

If you're running on hardware that supports that, please try it out and report your experience. Thanks!

schamane

Hi,

just registered because of that topic.

I am on Ubuntu 16.04 with and Intel N3700 which supports Vaapi which I already use with Kodi, but transcoding seems not to work with emby

I tried quicksync in the past, but to be honest its a mess to get in running, especially in a "up to date" environment

The ffmpeg of Ubuntu doesnt come with vaapi support, so i downloaded one from here      http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ and linked it as suggested.

now i get the needed result

V..... h264_vaapi           H.264/AVC (VAAPI) (codec h264)
 V..... hevc_vaapi           H.265/HEVC (VAAPI) (codec hevc)
 V..... mjpeg_vaapi          MJPEG (VAAPI) (codec mjpeg)

and i setup transcoding in Emby to vaapi

and 
 /dev/dri/card0 
is also existent, but its still not working :(

when I lower the data rate, that it has to decode, it stops immediately and also when I just play with full Network capacity it still takes 100% CPU 

any hints what I can try?

Looking forward for a fast solution, if this works like a charm you will have sold another lifetime

EDIT
OK,
found something, but no clue howto to fix it yet

libva info: Trying to open /home/john/.custom.software/src/static/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x3c3c640] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
[vaapi @ 0x31171e0] Failed to create a VAAPI device

I have no john on my system ;)

so i guess ffmpeg is build stange or  wrong from  john van sickle?

when i just link 

/home/john/.custom.software/src/static/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so -> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so

will result in a coredump

EDIT2

this is getting a self-talk ;)

fixed the above error with an new ffmpeg (ubuntu really sucks at this point)

when i do  your ffmpeg comman as root now its working (with 50% cpu rate :))))) ) 

Input stream #0:0 frame changed from size:1920x800 fmt:yuv420p to size:1920x800 fmt:vaapi_vld
frame=   31 fps=0.0 q=-0.0 size=     445kB time=00:00:01.44 bitrate=2530.3kbits/s speed=2.76x
frame=   77 fps= 74 q=-0.0 size=     928kB time=00:00:03.33 bitrate=2278.4kbits/s speed=3.22x
frame=  127 fps= 83 q=-0.0 size=    1622kB time=00:00:05.49 bitrate=2417.0kbits/s speed=3.58x
frame=  173 fps= 85 q=-0.0 size=    2477kB time=00:00:07.36 bitrate=2753.2kbits/s speed= 3.6x
frame=  221 fps= 86 q=-0.0 size=    2972kB time=00:00:09.36 bitrate=2601.1kbits/s speed=3.66x

but as user emby

[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x258cd40] No VA display found for device: /dev/dri/card0.

[vaapi @ 0x63b0e8] Failed to create a VAAPI device

so added user emby to group video 

libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=i965
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x2386ce0] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: 1 (operation failed).
[vaapi @ 0x63b0e8] Failed to create a VAAPI device

hopefully edit3 will follow soon with permissions solved ;)

EDIT3

Yes, I got it working now

the issue was not depending on permissions anymore

/dev/dri/card0 was just bloyked already via kodi

so changing it to 

/dev/dri/renderD128

did the trick.

now i can transcode on the fly with 50% cpu usage at max!!! 

the limiting factor is IO now :)))

had 4 transcode running at the same time and only waiting cause of IO 

Awsome guys, will immediately purchase a lifetime now

If someone interested in a howto i can sort it up a bit I guess

and a hint as well, the transcoding infos in the Board are really poor to be honest all depending on ffmpeg (of course it is), but get this all up and running (especially on Linux) isn`t really an easy task ;)
Edited by schamane

MSattler

@@Luke,

The latest beta, 3.1.117, if I select QuickSync transcoding, when I select to use the built in ffmpeg, I get an error saying it cannot find it.  Although it really does since it works just fine.

Thanks!

@@Luke,

The latest beta, 3.1.117, if I select QuickSync transcoding, when I select to use the built in ffmpeg, I get an error saying it cannot find it.  Although it really does since it works just fine.

Thanks!

Thanks. Can you let me know if you see that on 3.1.120? I did some work on the config page so I don't think it's an issue anymore. Thanks.

MSattler

Thanks. Can you let me know if you see that on 3.1.120? I did some work on the config page so I don't think it's an issue anymore. Thanks.

Got family members using it right now but will check tonight!

• Like 1

MSattler

All,

Is there a performance difference between vaapi and Quick Sync from Intel?  Obviously only Quick Sync can do h265 on the latest processors, but all in all are the results in vaapi the same as in Quick Sync?

Thanks!

MSattler

Got family members using it right now but will check tonight!

@@Luke,

It is still there.  Weird thing is when I go to the screen, it has Custom selected, with the default Emby FFMpeg directory/location listed.  If I change it to "Use System Installed" it then gives me an error, when I go back Custom is selected.

I think I see now what you are trying to do.  Would "Use system installed version" only be used for Linux installs?  If so maybe have these options:

1.)  "Use system installed version (Linux)"

2.)  "Use Default Emby Installation version (Windows)"

3.)  "Use your own custom version of Ffmpeg"

It looks like the options just confused me since I didn't think I was choosing custom, since I'm using the default version of ffmpeg.

Thanks!

@@Luke,

It is still there.  Weird thing is when I go to the screen, it has Custom selected, with the default Emby FFMpeg directory/location listed.  If I change it to "Use System Installed" it then gives me an error, when I go back Custom is selected.

I think I see now what you are trying to do.  Would "Use system installed version" only be used for Linux installs?  If so maybe have these options:

1.)  "Use system installed version (Linux)"

2.)  "Use Default Emby Installation version (Windows)"

3.)  "Use your own custom version of Ffmpeg"

It looks like the options just confused me since I didn't think I was choosing custom, since I'm using the default version of ffmpeg.

Thanks!

System installed could be Windows if the path is added to the PATH environment variable. It's not very common but it does happen. 

MSattler

System installed could be Windows if the path is added to the PATH environment variable. It's not very common but it does happen. 

Agreed, but the language/options should be clarified a bit as I think people will miss understand it as it is now.

dark_slayer

Agreed, but the language/options should be clarified a bit as I think people will miss understand it as it is now.

Agree 95/5 rule

thelamer

It looks like the latest version of emby is passing something intel quicksync does not like in linux via the CLI. 

I have a custom compiled version of FFmpeg that was working fine until the latest update to "Version 3.0.6300.0". 

Here are two logs one transcoding log from before the update: 

http://pastebin.com/CxpCa9d5

And one After: 

http://pastebin.com/pm6Jey94

FFmpeg segfaults now without an explanation, it still works when passing libx264 instead of h264_qs (disable quicksync in settings) which is how I have it set now to stay online. 

As the old transcode commands still work running them manually and the new flags work fine with libx264 and the same FFmpeg binary I think the software might be passing some new flags that specifically quicksync does not like.

Is anyone else having these problems? 

Debian Jessie

Kernel 3.14.5

FFmpeg version N-80111-gd1520a6

Edit: 

Also wanted to add that by running a simple no nonsense encode command like: 

/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20160215/ffmpeg -i file:"/storage/media/Movies/The Matrix 1999.mkv" -c:v h264_qsv -preset:v faster /storage/out.mp4

The qsv encoding works fine for the file that segfaults. 

Edited by thelamer

It looks like the latest version of emby is passing something intel quicksync does not like in linux via the CLI. 

I have a custom compiled version of FFmpeg that was working fine until the latest update to "Version 3.0.6300.0". 

Here are two logs one transcoding log from before the update: 

http://pastebin.com/CxpCa9d5

And one After: 

http://pastebin.com/pm6Jey94

FFmpeg segfaults now without an explanation, it still works when passing libx264 instead of h264_qs (disable quicksync in settings) which is how I have it set now to stay online. 

As the old transcode commands still work running them manually and the new flags work fine with libx264 and the same FFmpeg binary I think the software might be passing some new flags that specifically quicksync does not like.

Is anyone else having these problems? 

Debian Jessie

Kernel 3.14.5

FFmpeg version N-80111-gd1520a6

Thanks. can you play with the raw command lines to try to find the culprit?

thelamer

Thanks. can you play with the raw command lines to try to find the culprit?

Yeah it looks like it is the addition of this parameter "-c:v h264_qsv"

IE: 

before: (no works) 

/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20160215/ffmpeg \
-c:v h264_qsv  \
-i file:"/storage/media/Movies/the nice guys 2016.mkv" \
-map_metadata -1 \
-threads 1 \
-map 0:0 \
-map 0:1 \
-map -0:s \
-codec:v:0 h264_qsv \
-preset 7 \
-look_ahead 0 \
-b:v 1360000 \
-maxrate 1360000 \
-bufsize 2720000 \
-vsync -1 \
-profile:v high \
-level 4.1 \
-force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*3)" \
-vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1280)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" \
-flags \
-global_header \
-copyts \
-codec:a:0 aac \
-strict experimental \
-ac 6 \
-ab 640000 \
-af "adelay=1,aresample=async=1" \
-max_delay 5000000 \
-avoid_negative_ts disabled \
-start_at_zero \
-hls_time 3 \
-start_number 0 \
-hls_list_size 0 \-y "/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/8ca534279f40d4620bbc28a860720b7e.m3u8"

After: (works) 

/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20160215/ffmpeg \
-i file:"/storage/media/Movies/the nice guys 2016.mkv" \
-map_metadata -1 \
-threads 1 \
-map 0:0 \
-map 0:1 \
-map -0:s \
-codec:v:0 h264_qsv \
-preset 7 \
-look_ahead 0 \
-b:v 1360000 \
-maxrate 1360000 \
-bufsize 2720000 \
-vsync -1 \
-profile:v high \
-level 4.1 \
-force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*3)" \
-vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1280)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" \
-flags \
-global_header \
-copyts \
-codec:a:0 aac \
-strict experimental \
-ac 6 \
-ab 640000 \
-af "adelay=1,aresample=async=1" \
-max_delay 5000000 \
-avoid_negative_ts disabled \
-start_at_zero \
-hls_time 3 \
-start_number 0 \
-hls_list_size 0 \-y "/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/8ca534279f40d4620bbc28a860720b7e.m3u8"

The first qsv is for decoding. The second one is for encoding. The last time I removed it from decoding the reaction to that was not good, so my hands a little tied on that. Maybe there is some characteristic about this particular video though that we can check for to exclude it from decoding if we know the QuickSync decoder is going to have trouble with it.

thelamer

The first qsv is for decoding. The second one is for encoding. The last time I removed it from decoding the reaction to that was not good, so my hands a little tied on that. Maybe there is some characteristic about this particular video though that we can check for to exclude it from decoding if we know the QuickSync decoder is going to have trouble with it.

I tested it on a loop of about 2500 movie files and it segfaulted on every one. 

Could just be my build of FFmpeg, will re-up to head and report back tomorrow. If all else fails I can comment and do a custom build so no big deal https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/blob/master/MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding/Encoder/BaseEncoder.cs#L388

Thanks for your time though. 

A setting might not be a bad idea. I don't necessarily think it's a problem with your ffmpeg build process but maybe a defect in the version you built from.