Films and TV Shows randomly keep being removed from Collections

morpheus2n2

@Luke Does "Import collection information from metadata downloaders" need to be enabled in order to read collections from NFO files?

It seems like it does which causes a conflict if you don't want to import collections from Internet meta-data providers but do want to use custom collections.

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

@Luke Does "Import collection information from metadata downloaders" need to be enabled in order to read collections from NFO files?

It seems like it does which causes a conflict if you don't want to import collections from Internet meta-data providers but do want to use custom collections.

No, it's always read from nfo files.

morpheus2n2

Ok Its been a few days and I have officially called it quits on collections, no amount of changing settings or Re-adding items works, Emby will not matter what randomly kick items from custom collections, and also re-make deleted collections.

Its one of the 2 biggest things keeping me from fully switch from Plex and its utterly annoying that  it just wont work, even after @cayars remoted in to check all was set right.

I'm not sure I understand how things keep changing unless your forcing this to happen?

Try this for me.  In your movie library verify:
After the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet: is set to Never
Import collection information from metadata downloaders is not Enabled
Have both NFO reading and writing Enabled

With those setting and based on what Luke recently said this should stop movies getting meta-data updated, will stop importing new collections automatically and will hold custom collections in the NFO.

So unless you manually refresh meta-data it shouldn't be getting updating.

Can you try those settings please?

morpheus2n2
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm not sure I understand how things keep changing unless your forcing this to happen?

Try this for me.  In your movie library verify:
After the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet: is set to Never
Import collection information from metadata downloaders is not Enabled
Have both NFO reading and writing Enabled

With those setting and based on what Luke recently said this should stop movies getting meta-data updated, will stop importing new collections automatically and will hold custom collections in the NFO.

So unless you manually refresh meta-data it shouldn't be getting updating.

Can you try those settings please?

That's exactly how its all set, I have been away for the weekend so its been left running on its own and when I checked it this morning 7 films had been removed from Collections I had put them in on Thursday, 3 New collections had appeared that have been deleted countless times before.

I have triple check permissions for all folders and the NAS, Emby is writing and reading the NFO's without issues but It just keeps resetting random films, if it was the same ones each time then it would be easy to fix as I could just remove them from the library, do a scan then re-add them and it will pull new info etc, but cos its completely random and never the same films its proving a issue.

Do you have any 3rd party tools used to download media or anything like that with access to your Media files or shares?

I ask because something is changing your NFO files it would seem.

If this were me what I would do is delete all log files so I've got a fresh set of logs to work with.  Now I'd let the system run and as soon as I notice a collection change I would grep the logs for the movie or collection to find out as much about the change as possible.  For example did it reload because the NFO date changed (something else updating it) or was a meta-refresh done (if so why?)

Doing this could prove to be helpful to determine what's going on.

morpheus2n2

I have Sonarr and radarr and there set to only add Art work not write Metadata (used to course problems with Plex so have never turned it on since)

Yeah I will do that tonight, will make sure all Films in that library are where they need to be, clear logs then leave it to run normal and see what its like when I get back tomorrow evening.

Can you zip up the logs from this time period and post them along with a list of the collections/movies that changed?

morpheus2n2
Just now, cayars said:

Can you zip up the logs from this time period and post them along with a list of the collections/movies that changed?

What once cleared?

2 minutes ago, morpheus2n2 said:

I have Sonarr and radarr and there set to only add Art work not write Metadata (used to course problems with Plex so have never turned it on since)

Yeah I will do that tonight, will make sure all Films in that library are where they need to be, clear logs then leave it to run normal and see what its like when I get back tomorrow evening.

For testing I would turn these off for a few days. Depending on settings these can rewrite NFO files.

morpheus2n2
Just now, cayars said:

For testing I would turn these off for a few days. Depending on settings these can rewrite NFO files.

Can do :D

If they are rewriting your nfo files then they are probably deleting your custom edits and that explains the problem.

morpheus2n2
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

If they are rewriting your nfo files then they are probably deleting your custom edits and that explains the problem.

That would make perfect sense if the option was turned on lol, however Im going to shut them down for a couple of days and test to see :D

• Like 1

morpheus2n2

Sorry for the delay, been swamped,  I was going to pull the logs and let you know what collections it was but Emby has done it to the entire library now so its 243 films have all been fully removed from all collections entirely.

I have not touched Emby at all in the last 3 days, and the settings have not changed in that time, I am sorry to say that is the last straw, having 200+ films removed from custom collections even when Sonarr and Raddar have been disabled (which was a pain in the arse as I have had to manually grab new media and add it to the collection, The option to download collection info from the internet was also turned off, so while no new random collections have been made ALL custom collection have been removed in there entirety, the NFO have also lost the info that Emby had previously added that even @cayars verified was there when he remote access to help.

While it was annoy when random films where dong this, having a whole library do it over the course of the last 3 days just takes the piss, especially seen as it took me a number of hours to get it the way I wanted!!

I am not testing this anymore that this is utterly done me in, as not only did I spend a long time getting it how I want, I had also spent a longer time changing and adding art work, along with meta information to the collections for the entire lot to be removed in full, absolute joke!!

I think this is something @Luke needs to look.

What is needed for your system is NFO files always read and written with custom collections.
Allow metadata refreshes without importing collection info but not remove existing collections the movie belongs to.  <-- This is what I think isn't working correctly.

morpheus2n2
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

I think this is something @Luke needs to look.

What is needed for your system is NFO files always read and written with custom collections.
Allow metadata refreshes without importing collection info but not remove existing collections the movie belongs to.  <-- This is what I think isn't working correctly.

That basically sums it up, The information as you have seen yourself is being added to the NFO files, yet during Embys normal operations this information is being "Refreashed" and removed, which means that the files are then obviously removed from the collections, as for why all the custom collections have actually been fully removed is beyond me thats not only something I haven't seen before but what has made this even more painful to have happen.

I can't reproduce this. I still believe something else is updating your nfo files and removing the collections. @Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

ursusltd

I'm having same issue - items being removed wholesale from collection I have made and random automatic collections being created even though I do not have the plug in. 

Started happening over the past few days...

Edited by ursusltd
add data

1 minute ago, ursusltd said:

I'm having same issue - items being removed wholesale from collection I have made and random automatic collections being created even though I do not have the plug in. 

Started happening over the past few days...

Hi, check your library settings related to this and check the contents of your nfo files.  The combination of those two things will give you your answer.

ursusltd
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, check your library settings related to this and check the contents of your nfo files.  The combination of those two things will give you your answer.

Not really sure what I'm checking. I have looked at settings for both movie and collection libraries and can't really see anything obvious. 

I may have changed settings recently but only AFTER the problems started - I have also noticed that whole collections have disappeared as well as items removed from collections.

morpheus2n2
3 hours ago, Luke said:

I can't reproduce this. I still believe something else is updating your nfo files and removing the collections. @Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

As I have mentioned and as @cayars has seen it cant be forced to happen, it just happens over the course of a few days with no intervention, for the NFO's I have turned on file access loggin on the NAS to see the times and what's accessing them and so far only the IP for the Machine Emby runs on is listed which means that's the only app accessing them

Happy2Play
On 7/29/2021 at 5:30 AM, Luke said:

No nothing I have done has removed anything from a Collection.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, cayars said:

Does "Import collection information from metadata downloaders" need to be enabled in order to read collections from NFO files?

No a this is the only way Custom Collections are ever read.  The is why the <set> node has to always be honored.

Happy try this for me.  Enable NFO and also Enable Import.

Now create a manual collection called "Carlo" and add Top Gun and Days of Thunder to it.
Now refresh meta data on Top Gun and also Days of Thunder.
Do a full library scan.

Are these two movies still in Collection Carlo?

Similar test but try the same thing with movies that are in existing collections.  Any of the Harry Potter movies for example leave it it's normal collection but add two of them to Carlo Collection.  Now refresh these movies and do a full library scan

Did these two movies stay in the Collection Carlo?

morpheus2n2

Still unfortunately an issue, The full entirety of my FILMS collections Both Custom and auto has now gone since my last post, my custom TV Collections are still there mine even though both the TV and Film library's have identical settings when it comes to the metadata stuff.

From what I can see on my NAS only the Emby machine IP has accessed the folders and NFO's for modification.

Edited by morpheus2n2

Happy2Play
On 7/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, cayars said:

Happy try this for me.  Enable NFO and also Enable Import.

Now create a manual collection called "Carlo" and add Top Gun and Days of Thunder to it.
Now refresh meta data on Top Gun and also Days of Thunder.
Do a full library scan.

Are these two movies still in Collection Carlo?

Similar test but try the same thing with movies that are in existing collections.  Any of the Harry Potter movies for example leave it it's normal collection but add two of them to Carlo Collection.  Now refresh these movies and do a full library scan

Did these two movies stay in the Collection Carlo?

Sorry just noticed this post.

Performed these tests and items remained in Custom Collection after item Refresh in both scenarios.

• Thanks 1